The Queen of the South thread

2 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

How many pitches in the league are artificial. If he were to sign could he play on the grass only ones? Did he make many games last season I sure he was assistant manager with motherwell

Well apart from our own. Livingston have laid a new surface I believe, so that makes twenty league games he could miss not including cups. Hardly ideal if we are running with a small squad.

He was done when he was at St Johnstone. It's a no thanks from me.

As much as he's one of my all time heroes, I agree. Were needing a player with legs up there, as much as his football brain would prob streets ahead, don't know if legs will follow

Almost certainly a case of Naysmith giving a pal some training facilities I'd imagine.  I'm sure the presence of a character like McFadden has it's benefits though.  If he's looking to go through his coaching badges don't you have to complete so many hours of coaching or be affiliated with a club?  We might be assisting with that?

I'd love to believe he could drop back into midfield and do a job like Allan Johnstone did for us, but I suspect he's finished even at this level.  I also suspect that the wages he would demand would equate to that of the 2 or 3 players we need and would be better spent on them.

26 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Well apart from our own. Livingston have laid a new surface I believe, so that makes twenty league games he could miss not including cups. Hardly ideal if we are running with a small squad.

I didnt realise Livi had put down an artificial surface. Make it 22 with Falkirk too.

The Naysmith thing probably explains quite a bit tbh. I had a feeling he might end up at Queens when he left us. IIRC the Dom Thomas loan to you guys last season came about through McFadden putting a word in with Naysmith (I may have totally made that up though).

He re-signed for Motherwell (again) in the 2nd half of the 15/16 season but only made 3 appearances (though contributed 2 assists) then broke his ankle in training in the March of that season which ruled him out for the rest of the fixtures. Then he was somewhat shanghaied into taking the assistant manager gig last season after Robinson left unexpectedly, I have a suspicion that he didn't actually have much interest in that sort of job but didn't exactly have many options on the table after the much talked about move to the US fell on its arse and whatever way you look at it, it was a decent opportunity for him.

One thing he has been consistent about is that he still wants to play. Even in his press conferences when he took the assistant job he was still saying that he wanted to contribute on the playing side of things which made for an awkward fit in terms of his role at the club from the outset.

He made 6 sub appearances for us last season which totalled up to 100 mins of football and chipped in with 2 goals so, a goal every 50 mins. Over the past 2 seasons he's played 224 mins of football, though the mitigating factor last season is that he was assistant manager rather than it being an issue with injury. He's had plenty of time to recover from any injuries tbf. I doubt he'd have been on huge wages at Motherwell (certainly not when he signed as a player in 15/16) and if there was a role there that combined some guaranteed playing time along with some coaching experience then it'd be the sort of thing that would make sense for him.

I've no idea what the Queens side need at the moment but I'd have thought that McFadden would almost certainly still be able to offer something at Championship level. He's no pace and you'd clearly not get 90 mins week in, week out from him but used in the right way he'd probably be able to contribute. Certainly in terms of creativity and a bit of experience you'd probably get an hour or so from him and an option off the bench. As for the artificial surface chat, he's turned out quite a few times for our u20s who use Airdrie's ground for home games.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

38 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I didnt realise Livi had put down an artificial surface. Make it 22 with Falkirk too.

We've still got grass for this season. 

30 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Must admit in a quick run through of pitches I completely overlooked Falkirk. So that's probably one of the Clubs we will be more hopefull of taking a good share of points from (Livingston) and one of the likely title top 4 frontrunners. 

On the subject of training, do we not train in the Hamilton area now? No idea if it's on grass or plastic though.

20 minutes ago, NM_1919 said:

Where you seeing this? Nothing anywhere I can see

I might be wrong ha. But got a message today saying he's signed. Was the same person who said about Dobbie but I didn't believe it, only because it was Dobbie and was too good to be true. He also said about Forsyth a couple days before it was announced. To me he's quite reliable so I'm going to throw my hat in the ring and say he's signed/signing. 

I'm not for one minute saying I have sources though, he's just a fan like us. 

I might be wrong ha. But got a message today saying he's signed. Was the same person who said about Dobbie but I didn't believe it, only because it was Dobbie and was too good to be true. He also said about Forsyth a couple days before it was announced. To me he's quite reliable so I'm going to throw my hat in the ring and say he's signed/signing. 

Certainly on trial, but no confirmation anywhere. Would take him, experienced centre half were needing. Was pretty solid before at Falkirk but can't mind seeing him since..

Does the mystery person know about McFadden?

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Must admit in a quick run through of pitches I completely overlooked Falkirk. So that's probably one of the Clubs we will be more hopefull of taking a good share of points from (Livingston) and one of the likely title top 4 frontrunners. 

On the subject of training, do we not train in the Hamilton area now? No idea if it's on grass or plastic though.

Pretty sure Naysmith said we use an artificial pitch at Hamilton. There have been a few changes to training, should be something about it on the website pretty soon

1 hour ago, NM_1919 said:

Certainly on trial, but no confirmation anywhere. Would take him, experienced centre half were needing. Was pretty solid before at Falkirk but can't mind seeing him since..

I remember him from when he was at Dundee United and I liked him then but that was 4 year ago, think he went abroad after that.