The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

It remains the case that our pitch isn`t great though, something that seems to be supported in the survey quoted. As such it`s not an unreasonable subject for discussion.

I tend to think what's supported by the survey, is that our pitch being rubbish has become the received thing to say.

I don't see a problem in how it plays.  If It was such an unusual surface, you'd think It would favour the side that plays on it most.  Lots of evidence suggests otherwise.

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

Ah apologies, got my seasons mixed up. Still, a good effort when he'd only just arrived at a newly promoted club.

Bollocks I'm afraid.

The newly promoted club in  question had, during the season just ended when McIntyre came in, smashed the points record, securing the title so early that the pitch was banked in snow.  In the same season, they'd beaten Rangers as well as the top two finishers in the Championship en route to winning the Challenge Cup. This was no ordinary "newly promoted club".

If he winds up at St Mirren, expect lots of indulgent dicking around with a hitherto successful side.  Should he eventually start doing the obvious things that everyone else could see needed to happen, don't be surprised if some observers inexplicably believe he needs to be showered with acclaim.

Ah apologies, got my seasons mixed up. Still, a good effort when he'd only just arrived at a newly promoted club.

Nowhere near the worst but I wouldn't class him as a great manager either. He inherited a good squad and 4th was what the majority of our support expected. He achieved that so he can't be classed as a failure. He did a fair bit of tinkering as I recall which at the time was frustrating. The best thing he did for us was stick by Ian McShane who turned into a very good player for us and one that we've missed since he left.

I wasn't close to being gutted when he (McIntyre) left though.

15 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

It's an article from The Sun newspaper. That alone says alot about the articles credibility. 

It's from a PFA study so you can read the report yourself if you want on their website.

http://pfascotland.co.uk/items/PFA-News/pfa-scotland-announces-pitchrater-app-results

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, Steeplechat said:

From the Boardroom blog last week

The pitch passed it’s Fifa 2 star test last week so is good to go for the next season and I hope you will agree that it was playing as well as ever in the last few games with Kevin working on it every day.

With effect from 26 October 2015, the relevant standard for SPFL pitches is FIFA Quality Pro.  However, to avoid clubs having to immediately replace their pitches, the SPFL allowed those who installed theirs prior to that date to continue to meet the lower, old standard of FIFA 2 star. So, it is likely that pitches installed after 26 October 2015 have to meet a higher standard.

Bollocks I'm afraid.
The newly promoted club in  question had, during the season just ended when McIntyre came in, smashed the points record, securing the title so early that the pitch was banked in snow.  In the same season, they'd beaten Rangers as well as the top two finishers in the Championship en route to winning the Challenge Cup. This was no ordinary "newly promoted club".
If he winds up at St Mirren, expect lots of indulgent dicking around with a hitherto successful side.  Should he eventually start doing the obvious things that everyone else could see needed to happen, don't be surprised if some observers inexplicably believe he needs to be showered with acclaim.

Pretty fair appraisal there !! Wouldn’t dispute that.

36 minutes ago, Flash said:

With effect from 26 October 2015, the relevant standard for SPFL pitches is FIFA Quality Pro.  However, to avoid clubs having to immediately replace their pitches, the SPFL allowed those who installed theirs prior to that date to continue to meet the lower, old standard of FIFA 2 star. So, it is likely that pitches installed after 26 October 2015 have to meet a higher standard.

They dont. Regardless of what it says in Mark's blog we passed the Quality Pro inspection.

Guest Flash
11 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They dont. Regardless of what it says in Mark's blog we passed the Quality Pro inspection.

Took it from pages 7 and 8 of this letter on the SPFL website regarding 2018/19 membership criteria, which must be wrong/superseded then.

https://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__100917membershipcriteria2018_19spfl_shfl_slflclubs_1519318956.pdf

What are your thoughts on Jim McIntyre as a manager? From memory he took over just after Johnston got you promoted and then did one, same as us with Ross. Was that the season you got to the play-off with Rangers and gave them a fright at Ibrox?
With Robbie Neilson pulling out of the race he must have a good shout of being the next St Mirren manager.

McIntyre is a diddy, for all the reason’s outlined by MT.

After all the fantastic work your club has put in over the last 18 months he really would be a disastrous appointment.

How do you know they "do nout"?

So your saying taken all the crumb off it with a quad bike to lie and the dude of the pitch when clearing snow is looking after it a mean if they can't even pick up a plastic cup after a match how yoh expect a pitch to be looked after

17 minutes ago, Qos88 said:

So your saying taken all the crumb off it with a quad bike to lie and the dude of the pitch when clearing snow is looking after it a mean if they can't even pick up a plastic cup after a match how yoh expect a pitch to be looked after

I’ve tried to decipher this 3 times and still can’t get any sense out of it! 

23 minutes ago, Qos88 said:

Wtf is this word salad^^^^^

Maybe you could take some time off from your Higher English lessons and go along and see what work is put in on the pitch. 

21 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm a little puzzled.  Should we now refer to the groundsman as "The Dude of the Pitch"?

I have to say I quite like that.

I've heard he spends all his time bowling and drinking White Russians when he should be looking after the pitch.