The Queen of the South thread

Is that from club interview? FFS. Well, least he has a plan [emoji849]

Ah, AJ has the solution...'we need to improve'! I knew something was wrong yesterday! He comes away with the same crap each week, and the same excuses/reasons, so why not sort it out? Okay we were short of bodies yesterday but on yesterday's performance that's not a play off team we were watching, that's the automatic relegation team.  For next week's visit to Cappielow, we can only improve, can't we?

Ah, AJ has the solution...'we need to improve'! I knew something was wrong yesterday! He comes away with the same crap each week, and the same excuses/reasons, so why not sort it out? Okay we were short of bodies yesterday but on yesterday's performance that's not a play off team we were watching, that's the automatic relegation team.  For next week's visit to Cappielow, we can only improve, can't we?
Said yesterday, Naysmith had his faults but I always enjoyed listening to him. If he had put out that abomination of a line-up yesterday he'd have come out and said he made a mistake. AJ never seems to take any responsibility and it's always someone elses fault almost.

Said yesterday, Naysmith had his faults but I always enjoyed listening to him. If he had put out that abomination of a line-up yesterday he'd have come out and said he made a mistake. AJ never seems to take any responsibility and it's always someone elses fault almost.

Also couldn’t question he gave his all. I think Johnston comes across like he’s no bothered and quite arrogant. For a guy that’s record in management is pretty pish

1 hour ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

You'd think we'd practise set pieces. After yesterday's abject performance it's a priority.

Agree both in an attacking and defending sense. Everytime pars got a corner I just thought here we go again but never felt the same confidence when we got a corner

December's results were decent and I think our defensive record was around 3rd best in the league as regards goals conceded. We were sitting ok in the league, with a couple of games in hand and looking upwards.

January has obvs been a disaster, with 4 of our regular back 5 either gone or unavailable and El Bak also leaving.

To add insult to injury, Alloa (who looked like they may become detached from the pack) are on a great run and are unbeaten in 5 and the other part time team in the league,Arbroath, have just won away at the runaway league leaders and show no sign of weakening, so the league is extremely tight this year.

Another rebuilding job for AJ in trying to get a brand new back 5 (including keeper) to gel quickly. Not going too well at the moment with 6 goals conceded in last 2 home games, but these things take time and he did well assembling a decent defence to start the season with.

In terms of finance, we can't compete with most teams in the league (or even some in the league below, ie Falkirk) so losing 3 of our best in January was always going to be a body blow that will take time to recover from.

The other worrying thing this season is the number of injuries we seem to pick up on a regular basis. Is it just me, or has it been worse than normal this year?

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
2 hours ago, BeeJay said:

I very rarely listened to Naysmith's interviews but often read his comments in newspapers, I seem to recall several times where he put full blame on the players for poor performances without taking any responsibility himself. If his tactics were wrong, which they often were,  it was rarely his fault. I can never remember him apologising for using Dobbie as an isolated striker while we sat back in many games hoping to keep the score down.  Dobbie's goal tally last season was even more phenomenal when you consider some of the "play not to lose" tactics that Naysmith employed, that worked a treat in the second half of the season, didn't it.

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

December's results were decent and I think our defensive record was around 3rd best in the league as regards goals conceded. We were sitting ok in the league, with a couple of games in hand and looking upwards.
January has obvs been a disaster, with 4 of our regular back 5 either gone or unavailable and El Bak also leaving.
To add insult to injury, Alloa (who looked like they may become detached from the pack) are on a great run and are unbeaten in 5 and the other part time team in the league,Arbroath, have just won away at the runaway league leaders and show no sign of weakening, so the league is extremely tight this year.
Another rebuilding job for AJ in trying to get a brand new back 5 (including keeper) to gel quickly. Not going too well at the moment with 6 goals conceded in last 2 home games, but these things take time and he did well assembling a decent defence to start the season with.
In terms of finance, we can't compete with most teams in the league (or even some in the league below, ie Falkirk) so losing 3 of our best in January was always going to be a body blow that will take time to recover from.
The other worrying thing this season is the number of injuries we seem to pick up on a regular basis. Is it just me, or has it been worse than normal this year?

It's that they pick up these mysterious injuries in training that's concerning. Not working on defending set pieces much be an injury prone activity...
I very rarely listened to Naysmith's interviews but often read his comments in newspapers, I seem to recall several times where he put full blame on the players for poor performances without taking any responsibility himself. If his tactics were wrong, which they often were,  it was rarely his fault. I can never remember him apologising for using Dobbie as an isolated striker while we sat back in many games hoping to keep the score down.  Dobbie's goal tally last season was even more phenomenal when you consider some of the "play not to lose" tactics that Naysmith employed, that worked a treat in the second half of the season, didn't it.
He did but he often took responsibility as well. He never appeared to learn from the mistakes which was the annoying thing.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's that they pick up these mysterious injuries in training that's concerning. Not working on defending set pieces much be an injury prone activity..

Kilday was injured in the friendly against Rangers. Scott Mercer hurt his shoulder against Alloa and was subbed off early. Connor Murray tweaked his hamstring against Alloa which was pretty obvious watching it at the time (no idea why he thought it was a good idea to play on when he clearly spent the rest of the game nursing it). I've no idea what's up with Osman. Presumably that was done in training. So that's one mysterious injury in training. One.

Kilday was injured in the friendly against Rangers. Scott Mercer hurt his shoulder against Alloa and was subbed off early. Connor Murray tweaked his hamstring against Alloa which was pretty obvious watching it at the time (no idea why he thought it was a good idea to play on when he clearly spent the rest of the game nursing it). I've no idea what's up with Osman. Presumably that was done in training. So that's one mysterious injury in training. One.
Thanks. At least someone from the club is keeping us informed...

19 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
46 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Tbf I can understand why managers don't like to say how long players are out for, with how small squads are an injury will often have implications which opposition managers will take into account. 

Tbf I can understand why managers don't like to say how long players are out for, with how small squads are an injury will often have implications which opposition managers will take into account. 
I'm not sure I follow what you are meaning here.

6 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:
6 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I'm not sure I follow what you are meaning here.

Im assuming he means that opposition managers will look to get an advantage by changing their team if they know a certain opposition player is going to be playing or not playing.

With small squads, it would be much easier for the opposition manager to guess the lineup.

Im assuming he means that opposition managers will look to get an advantage by changing their team if they know a certain opposition player is going to be playing or not playing.
With small squads, it would be much easier for the opposition manager to guess the lineup.
I did think this. The Gordon Chisholm approach!

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I am not though. All of that info was out there. AJ mentioned Kilday in his post match interview last week. Anyone who was there last week watched Mercer and Murray get injured.

On 02/02/2020 at 22:54, Skyline Drifter said:

I am not though. All of that info was out there. AJ mentioned Kilday in his post match interview last week. Anyone who was there last week watched Mercer and Murray get injured.

Have we still not got international clearance to play our 2 new signing yet ?

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I get that the SLO are doing a great job, and I'm not going to criticise, but..

Surely proper bits of news should be released through the official club channels? Not everyone has a social media profile and will look to the OS for this sort of news.

I agree. But I don't think we generally do release actual news through the SLO channels. We let out teasers of new signings an hour or so before it's going to be announced but the news itself is put on the OS. I guess teasers could also be run on the Official Twitter account but I don't have access to it as I don't use Twitter.

It didn't particularly occur to me that obtaining International Clearance WAS news and wasn't intending to publish it at all. I didn't know the SLO's had published it on their own twitter (as I say I don't use Twitter) though I did tell them on Monday. The obtaining of it was a foregone conclusion this week. Not getting it in time for Dunfermline was irritating but there was never any question we'd get it at some point this week ahead of this coming weekend.

I agree. But I don't think we generally do release actual news through the SLO channels. We let out teasers of new signings an hour or so before it's going to be announced but the news itself is put on the OS. I guess teasers could also be run on the Official Twitter account but I don't have access to it as I don't use Twitter.
It didn't particularly occur to me that obtaining International Clearance WAS news and wasn't intending to publish it at all. I didn't know the SLO's had published it on their own twitter (as I say I don't use Twitter) though I did tell them on Monday. The obtaining of it was a foregone conclusion this week. Not getting it in time for Dunfermline was irritating but there was never any question we'd get it at some point this week ahead of this coming weekend.

Given the likes and shares on the Facebook post last night, fair to say that a significant chunk of people disagree with you and do consider it sufficiently newsworthy.

3 hours ago, JK_Queens said:

Given the likes and shares on the Facebook post last night, fair to say that a significant chunk of people disagree with you and do consider it sufficiently newsworthy.

I didn't know it was on Facebook either but people will "like and share" pictures of their dinner on their too. It doesn't make it "news"!