The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, third lanark said:

How has Aiden Fitzpatrick been for you, thought he had great potential with us and of course went to Norwich?

i was impressed with Shields in the cup game we had against you at Palmerston in October- has his form dipped or is it more the manager just not really motivating or encouraging  many of the players?

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Hugely disappointing.

Pretty much this regarding Fitzpatrick.  He showed up fairly well in BetFred Cup games but as the league games have progressed he's looked very ordinary/disinterested imo. Maybe playing in a struggling team under a poor manager does not motivate him. 

Shields has been one of our better players,  not much competition I know,  he at least looks interested and makes some good runs forward with the ball at his feet. 

13 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Has Harry Robinson gone back to Motherwell or is he injured?

He's injured. Though as far as I am aware it's ankle ligaments, not a shoulder problem. Did it at the start of November, sometime between the Dunfermline and Arbroath games. He's gone back to Motherwell for rehab as is fairly standard in loan deals for longer term injuries. It's why he missed the club photo. I don't think he's a million miles away but he hasn't returned to training with us yet.

16 hours ago, qos_75 said:

A manager will ultimately pay the price with the sack if they fail. However, if the board keep getting the appointments wrong, I don’t think it is unreasonable for questions to be asked about their performance either. 

Are they giving the manager the tools and budget to succeed?

If they are, then their recruitment procedures are failing and need to be revised. 

If they are not giving the manager the support required to meet their target they need to seriously think about their position for the good of the club.

On 13/12/2020 at 01:10, Monkey Tennis said:

What would replace the current board though?

I don't ask that rhetorically, or in particular defence of those currently in place, but it is relevant.

People often ask that question when others press for the removal of a manager.  In reality though, there are always potential alternative managers out there.  However, the same thing can't surely be said of boardroom positions.

It is hard for me to form a view on whether the board are doing well.

Financially the club is at least stable although I get the feeling our finances are slowly deteriorating year on year. I do see them taking lots of initiatives to generate money, but I don't know whether they're generating enough or maximising the club's commercial potential.

The football side of things is largely derived from finances. But if I accept that financially they're doing as well as possible, it's still impossible to know whether they're allocating an appropriate amount of revenue towards the first team, investing the right amount in youth development, and recruiting the best possible candidates available for our budget.

Absent that information, the only other way to measure the board's performance is against clear objectives for what they should be achieving, and comparing those objectives to similar sized clubs' to ensure we're not being over or under ambitious.

In theory, it's the shareholders who should be holding the board to account. While I'd like to be a shareholder, I'm not, so I'd be interested to hear from one: 

a) does the board set out any objectives for the year ahead or for certain time periods (e.g. five years)

b) do shareholders do the same, and

c) how much scrutiny of the board's work actually occurs at AGMs?

Absent any of the above, it's very difficult to judge the board's (and therefore the club's) performance. Instead you have to go with surfaces impressions - like, we've had a pretty stable board for some time, apparently hand picked by a couple of families who hold the majority of shares, and maybe some new blood and fresh ideas would be welcome. That's often a good thing.

Edited by Margaret Thatcher
typos

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He's injured. Though as far as I am aware it's ankle ligaments, not a shoulder problem. Did it at the start of November, sometime between the Dunfermline and Arbroath games. He's gone back to Motherwell for rehab as is fairly standard in loan deals for longer term injuries. It's why he missed the club photo. I don't think he's a million miles away but he hasn't returned to training with us yet.

Can you cancel the loan in Jan for what I have seen of him yet another poor loan signing .

How many loans can we use in Jan is it 3 .

Somehow we need to get a experienced right back center half and centre midfielder we are so weak right through the middle of the team .

I take it, and asking more in hope than expectation, despite fact I'll be down in D&G for Xmas I'll not be entitled to go to this game? I have a feeling I know the answer...

9 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

I take it, and asking more in hope than expectation, despite fact I'll be down in D&G for Xmas I'll not be entitled to go to this game? I have a feeling I know the answer...

No, regulations are quite specific. Must have a home address in D&G. DG postcodes only. That would still be the case even if it got beyond season ticket holders. The temporary travel window agreed by Govts for Xmas doesn't change that.

No, regulations are quite specific. Must have a home address in D&G. DG postcodes only. That would still be the case even if it got beyond season ticket holders. The temporary travel window agreed by Govts for Xmas doesn't change that.
Ach well. I'd pretty much expected not to make a game this year anyway.

19 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

A question for you SD.

I have a selfish interest here as a ST holder resident in Edinburgh.  Should Edinburgh move to tier 2 at some point, the SG travel ban would not apply to a journey from Edinburgh to Dumfries as it only applies to travel into and out of levels 3 and 4. 

Are the football regulations stricter than the normal travel rules?  I can see that there might be a trade off there with extra restrictions being the price for some fans returning.  If so that is fair enough, it's clearly better for some fans to be allowed back than none.

Thanks

"I'm ready to ring the changes" headline on back page of today's standard, I was hoping the headline was from Queens Chairman Billy Hewitson but No it was AJ. He was also saying he needs to strengthen in certain areas! And is hopeful to recruit players in January.

IF he is still there his recruitment has to be better than his efforts in the summer.... 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

35 minutes ago, Parttimesupporter said:

A question for you SD.

I have a selfish interest here as a ST holder resident in Edinburgh.  Should Edinburgh move to tier 2 at some point, the SG travel ban would not apply to a journey from Edinburgh to Dumfries as it only applies to travel into and out of levels 3 and 4. 

Are the football regulations stricter than the normal travel rules?  I can see that there might be a trade off there with extra restrictions being the price for some fans returning.  If so that is fair enough, it's clearly better for some fans to be allowed back than none.

Thanks

Government requirements for the return to stadia regulate that "local supporters only" can attend irrespective of what travel restrictions may or may not exist outside the confines of the football stadium. Until they change that rule it's out of the club's hands and even the Football authorities for that matter. For the time being attendance is restricted to a DG home postcode regardless of what Tier anywhere else is in. I appreciate the irony that it means someone from the far side of Stranraer could attend but someone from the far side of Gretna can't.

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Government requirements for the return to stadia regulate that "local supporters only" can attend irrespective of what travel restrictions may or may not exist outside the confines of the football stadium. Until they change that rule it's out of the club's hands and even the Football authorities for that matter. For the time being attendance is restricted to a DG home postcode regardless of what Tier anywhere else is in. I appreciate the irony that it means someone from the far side of Stranraer could attend but someone from the far side of Gretna can't.

Thanks, helpful to know that a change in tiers wouldn't make a difference, at least as things stand.