The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

We only a couple of these players in contract next year. P McKay Ian Wilson and Gavin Reilly are the only players I can think are contracted to next year.

Cowie, East, Todd, Wilson, McGrory, Connelly, Paton, Gibson, 

Although I would expect Paton to definitely move and young Gibson will be hot property I would imagine. 

All the young lads would benefit from loan moves to play regularly as well as playing for the reserves.

Gibson is contracted for next year so if he moves on we should at least get a decent fee for him.  Of the young lads Johnstone & Burns also have another year on their contracts.

Unfortunately I can't see either Reilly or Paul McKay moving on unless we sever their deals in the summer.

I agree with your list and would definitely hang on to Muir as swell.  Contrary to most fans (I'm guessing), I'd swither about keeping the enigmatic Cochrane given that Wilson, Todd and McGrory are all prone to picking up injuries.  Cochrane is also made of glass and often an empty shirt but every now and then he puts in a potential MOTM performace so may be worth keeping as back-up.  Maybe Bartley can get some consistency out of him.

Edited by Slipmat

6 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Gibson is contracted for next year so if he moves on we should at least get a decent fee for him.  Of the young lads Johnstone & Burns also have another year on their contracts.

Unfortunately I can't see either Reilly or Paul McKay moving on unless we sever their deals in the summer.

I agree with your list and would definitely hang on to Muir as swell.  Contrary to most fans (I'm guessing), I'd swither about keeping Cochrane given that Wilson, Todd and McGrory are all prone to picking up injuries.  Cochrane is also made of glass and often an empty shirt but every now and then he puts in a potential MOTM performace so may be worth keeping as back-up.  Maybe Bartley can get some consistency out of him.

Few of the players are low on confidence but I think Marvin will get the best out of them again. 

Why was't Gibson kept on as a player? He was the best defender we had. The following statement suggests his results as manager were not good enough.

Chairman, Billy Hewitson said “There is no doubt that Wullie is Queen of the South through and through and wants the best for the club. He is a young manager who deserved the opportunity, but football is a results-based business, 

4 minutes ago, Rouky said:

Why was't Gibson kept on as a player? He was the best defender we had. The following statement suggests his results as manager were not good enough.

Chairman, Billy Hewitson said “There is no doubt that Wullie is Queen of the South through and through and wants the best for the club. He is a young manager who deserved the opportunity, but football is a results-based business, 

That's not remotely realistic in any real world scenario. No manager wants to work with his predecessor as a player. No former manager wants to have to step backwards and work for someone else having been in charge and it's very difficult for the other players to go from treating someone as a gaffer to being a team-mate again. I may be wrong but I can't think of a single example of a player manager departing the manager role and returning to just playing for the same club (as in a permanent manager, not a short term caretaker). If it's ever happened it's certainly very unusual.

There was talk of George Rowe returning to playing when he left his manager role and he did do a week or two of pre-season under John Connolly but he soon moved on to Arbroath.

32 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I may be wrong but I can't think of a single example of a player manager departing the manager role and returning to just playing for the same club (as in a permanent manager, not a short term caretaker). If it's ever happened it's certainly very unusual.

I've got in my head that Tommy Bryce might have done that briefly at Partick Thistle.  I'm quite possibly havering though.  I often am.

1 hour ago, Rouky said:

He was clearly sacked because of his off field antics. I expect the Club have been generous with him in that statement possibly because he's came up through our ranks and has history with us. But lets not kid on it was because of the results. 

12 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

He was clearly sacked because of his off field antics. I expect the Club have been generous with him in that statement possibly because he's came up through our ranks and has history with us. But lets not kid on it was because of the results. 

I don't know if it was generosity, or legal concerns that prevented the other business being mentioned.

Just now, Neilly said:

Just browsing this thread what was the other antics?

Is Gibson going to continue playing for anyone else? Was a very good player in his short stint with us.

No will imagine that will be him done

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

The gap between FT and PT sides is and has been minimal for years. It's really not like it was when we were PT. 

There used to be a large gap with fitness but no longer the case, esp with Queens who I always feel  start to run out of puff after 80 mins and often look less fit than the part time teams.  Not sure if its players, training, fitness coach. Feel the defenders  really need to pull the socks up or there careers will be over. Can’t see any of them staying on and would be surprised if any other full time teams, or even PT teams would be that impressed with their performance this year. Probably will find their level at some pub league side. Harsh i know but not sure if there are actually any worse defenders in any of the 4 Scottish leagues at the moment. Who knows if Marvin will be able to turn them around.

Age is against WG's playing days continuing now. After this season he could conceivably get another season at L2 level or non-league but the curtains coming down soon. Shame in many ways but time is nobody's friend.

10 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Age is against WG's playing days continuing now. After this season he could conceivably get another season at L2 level or non-league but the curtains coming down soon. Shame in many ways but time is nobody's friend.

Expect him to sign for another club very soon. Sure he'll be weighing up his options just now. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH