The Queen of the South thread

56 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Bartley at training this morning hopefully he can make a quick impact on the team. 

Sunday and Wednesday not days off for players said in his interview he would meet them all tomorrow .

He can't make a impact on players that are not good enough or don't have the balls to fight for the ball sadly you can't coach that it has to in the player .

Take any of our defenders or any player  they all  give 100 % every game but they just  can't do the aggressive stuff it is just  not in them .

My worry is Bartley will try and make players out of them that can't be done no matter how well they are coached .

The squad needs a complete change but very difficult to get the players we need clubs not so keen to loan players to League 1.

4 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Sunday and Wednesday not days off for players said in his interview he would meet them all tomorrow .

He can't make a impact on players that are not good enough or don't have the balls to fight for the ball sadly you can't coach that it has to in the player .

Take any of our defenders or any player  they all  give 100 % every game but they just  can't do the aggressive stuff it is just  not in them .

My worry is Bartley will try and make players out of them that can't be done no matter how well they are coached .

The squad needs a complete change but very difficult to get the players we need clubs not so keen to loan players to League 1.

He was there today

5 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

The squad needs a complete change ...

Yes but Bartley has to deal with reality. He can't completely change the squad in January, it's not feasible. So he has to make a couple of changes here and there and then he has to try to get more out of what's left for the remainder of the season. He knew that when he took the job.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I've got in my head that Tommy Bryce might have done that briefly at Partick Thistle.  I'm quite possibly havering though.  I often am.

It looks like he played one game for them after being replaced as manager on March 9th by John Lambie. He played for Thistle on 13th March and then moved back to us, playing in a 5-3 win at Alloa on 20th March.  Notwithstanding a single game (if the date of appointment I eventually tracked down for Lambie is correct) though he didn't remain as a player after losing the manager job, he left within 10 days.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

He was clearly sacked because of his off field antics. I expect the Club have been generous with him in that statement possibly because he's came up through our ranks and has history with us. But lets not kid on it was because of the results. 

You've spent the bulk of the season berating the results (rightly so they've not been good enough, nobody at all, including Wullie, thinks they were) and have now decided it couldn't have been because of the results? That makes zero sense. Whatever happens with any Court case is nobody else's business really unless he's found guilty.

1 hour ago, Manwithnoball said:

Gibson is only contracted till May 2023 but will still be due training compensation for him. As is Johnstone and McMahon, Muir and Irving.

Wrong. Gibson, Johnstone and Burns are all on two year deals underwritten by sponsorship from the Tanner Fund.

52 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Age is against WG's playing days continuing now. After this season he could conceivably get another season at L2 level or non-league but the curtains coming down soon. Shame in many ways but time is nobody's friend.

This the same Wullie Gibson half of our fans think should have been starting regularly before he left the manager's job? Inevitably he's unlikely to be playing league football in a couple of years but if he wants to I'd imagine he'll get a contract at league level for at least the rest of this season.

36 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

They were in today as they have a game on Tuesday. He did say in his interview he would meet them Monday but I assume that was said without having remembered on the spot we were in today.

17 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You've spent the bulk of the season berating the results (rightly so they've not been good enough, nobody at all, including Wullie, thinks they were) and have now decided it couldn't have been because of the results? That makes zero sense. Whatever happens with any Court case is nobody else's business really unless he's found guilty.

The results are the excuse. The incident is the reason. 

26 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It looks like he played one game for them after being replaced as manager on March 9th by John Lambie. He played for Thistle on 13th March and then moved back to us, playing in a 5-3 win at Alloa on 20th March.  Notwithstanding a single game (if the date of appointment I eventually tracked down for Lambie is correct) though he didn't remain as a player after losing the manager job, he left within 10 days.

Ah, fair enough.  

I did think it was brief, but that's exceptionally so.  

4 hours ago, sneeuq said:

There used to be a large gap with fitness but no longer the case, esp with Queens who I always feel  start to run out of puff after 80 mins and often look less fit than the part time teams.  Not sure if its players, training, fitness coach. Feel the defenders  really need to pull the socks up or there careers will be over. Can’t see any of them staying on and would be surprised if any other full time teams, or even PT teams would be that impressed with their performance this year. Probably will find their level at some pub league side. Harsh i know but not sure if there are actually any worse defenders in any of the 4 Scottish leagues at the moment. Who knows if Marvin will be able to turn them around.

Definitely. The professionalism of part-time players has increased beyond measure. There is an optimal fitness level for a footballer and if part-timers are working hard to achieve that fitness level then it negates that full-time fitness advantage. There should be marginal gains over a season with being full-time - working on patterns of play, defensive organisation and structure, and the classic - set-pieces. But the days of fitness being one of them are gone I'd suggest. We've had a hybrid system for a few years and there's no way you'd ever tell who the part-time players were unless you knew.

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Definitely. The professionalism of part-time players has increased beyond measure. There is an optimal fitness level for a footballer and if part-timers are working hard to achieve that fitness level then it negates that full-time fitness advantage. There should be marginal gains over a season with being full-time - working on patterns of play, defensive organisation and structure, and the classic - set-pieces. But the days of fitness being one of them are gone I'd suggest. We've had a hybrid system for a few years and there's no way you'd ever tell who the part-time players were unless you knew.

Some very good points. 
That said the notion that our bunch of charlatans work hard on defensive organisation/ structure and set pieces is a huge stretch. These aspects are right up there as our major weaknesses so it’s tough to see even marginal gains. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

11 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

There should be marginal gains over a season with being full-time - working on patterns of play, defensive organisation and structure, and the classic - set-pieces. 

Wonder what our lads do instead of the defensive stuff and the set pieces. 

13 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

How does your hybrid system work?

3 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Excellent work by Dan Armstrong and the club as highlighted in the latest episode of the SPFL Trust podcast! 👍👌

https://spfltrust.podbean.com/e/spfl-trust-football-powered-podcast-episode-5

There’s plenty of community work Queens do including the Foodhub Community Fridge that doesn’t get the credit is deserves. Dan Armstrong does some incredible work away from the football side of things at Palmerston. 

51 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Kabia been recalled by Livi, wonder if he’ll end up here

Given the amount of favours Martindale's done Imrie at Morton and Kenny Miller when he was at us I think it's safe to assume you'll get a few loans in from Livingston.

Kabia & Paton upfront would be a tremendous pairing.

Any more on the Paton to St Johnstone rumour?

6 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Given the amount of favours Martindale's done Imrie at Morton and Kenny Miller when he was at us I think it's safe to assume you'll get a few loans in from Livingston.

Kabia & Paton upfront would be a tremendous pairing.

Any more on the Paton to St Johnstone rumour?

Nah it’s gone quiet on that. He’s nowhere near ready for a move like that, he should be seeing the season out with us.