The Queen of the South thread

Does the undisclosed fee mean the development fee basically, or have we forked out a transfer fee for him? 

Hopefully hits the ground running. Happy that Bartley is building for next season already. Our record with 2 year deals hasn't been great so I'm slightly anxious on that front but in the same breath it's definitely good forward planning :)

58 minutes ago, Riviera711 said:

Jack Brydon has had a few mentions on the Edinburgh FC thread which suggest that he has played well at centre back but less so when played at right back.

You know ... I'm so much in love with the highlighted part in Riviera's post above ... in fact "the earth almost moved" ...

Nice one, Marvin!

Edited by Otis Blue

Looks like a well rated signing - and hopefully a good upgrade on our current centre half options (very low bar aside)

I guess everyone expected the first signing to be a defender - the problem areas are not difficult to see - but very pleasantly surprised to see a permanent deal rather than a short-term loan and on a longer contract. Suggests Marv has a plan, is looking beyond just the end of the season and the Board are backing him with that commitment. 

As has been said the rest of the season is such a free-hit that it perhaps helps give a bit of breathing space to plan more for next season than would have been the case if we were really in the mire and needing some emergency 'keep us in the division' temporary fixes. 

We already have a sizable squad though and will surely need some outgoings to balance things up and allow for some more new faces - that does unfortunately require another club to want to sign our duds. 

3 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

I don't really remember him from playing against Edinburgh this season. Although there was not any of their defenders that stood out as we easily beat them. A 2 1/2 year deal is not what we normally give out. So forward planning in place from new manager. Obviously backing from the board as well. 

I remember him he completely missed the ball to let Bange get his only goal for us .

Have to hope he just had a poor game that day .

We really need aggression and experience at the back hopefully more signing still to come .

Is Bange away back to Blackpool now? If so what a waste of a loan that turned out to be for both parties. I expected him to be used a bit more rather than the odd 15 minute cameo appearance and one, admittedly poor, half against Falkirk. 

Marvin's done his homework tbf, knew the big weaknesses and has tackled them as priorities. Making good use of his contacts too. Sure there's more to come. Fair play to the guy, I'm liking this. 👌

4 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Bartley's not messing about. 

Didn't think Brydon was up to much in our games against Edinburgh, he's still only 19 so plenty of time to develop.

Dabrowski on the other hand is a cracking signing for this level. 

Dabrowski is a sensational keeper. What a loan signing that is! I didn't see him coming out on loan at all. Would have taken him in a heartbeat at Cove as I'm sure nearly every other Championship side would have.

Bravo Doonhamers for getting that deal done.

21 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Marvin's done his homework tbf, knew the big weaknesses and has tackled them as priorities. Making good use of his contacts too. Sure there's more to come. Fair play to the guy, I'm liking this. 👌

This. I don't think a 19 year old CB will be the fix we are all hoping for (nor do I think he can realistically fix all our problems in a January window) but the fact he's brought in a CB and GK right away shows he clearly sees what we've all had to suffer and it's the areas that need strengthening ASAP. 

Incredible how a few days can totally change your mood in football. 

There's certainly a need for a commanding and experienced CB, and young Brydon isn't that but given we've parted with cash for him and given a 2.5 year contract you'd like to think Marvin's thinks there's a talent there to be developed. So maybe that's just part of the solution, early days yet.