The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There's more chance of me being elected the next Pope than there is of Paton being back next season.

Cheers SD.  That's it nailed then - no point fretting over Paton any longer.

56 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We'll see. I'd agree the biggest issue at the moment is goals. Ideally I'd also like an experienced leader at the back. Otherwise it's ok. I wouldn't swap that midfield for any other at this level. Todd's a very important extension also for me.

We've three good keepers though two are young and Botterill is inexperienced despite being older. Johnson's very highly rated though and is in the Scotland u21 set up at 19. Cowie will likely go out on loan again. Jordan Houston will be a very good right sided defender if he's fit. The comments from Ayr fans were more about his fitness than his ability. Church appears a good prospect on the left. McClelland is highly rated at Hibs and whilst the Cove comments are slightly concerning I saw him play for Hibs Reserves last season and he absolutely strolled it. He also has played with Jack Brydon for a couple of years so there's a relationship there already.

With Wilson, Cochrane and Todd for central midfield (and Ben Johnstone) we're in good shape there. Could maybe do with another for depth ideally with neither Wilson nor Cochrane having great fitness records but we don't need a starter level player there.

We've Gibson, McKechnie and now McGuffie for wider roles (and Connelly could probably do that if pushed too but it's not where I'd want him).

If Reilly's back in the fold then Reilly, Doherty, Connelly and Irving up top. Connelly will chip in with 10 - 12 likely if he's fit all season. Reilly is capable of being a goalscorer. He largely played provider for Paton last season when he was here but maybe in the main role he'll burst to life again. If not then Doherty's recent record doesn't really suggest he's a big goalscorer. I've seen very little of him. I'm told he played well against us for Clyde in the 1-1 late season game last year. I missed that one. He played 20 mins at the end of the Kelty Hearts Challenge Cup tie at Palmerston in January before moving to Clyde the next day. Max Currie saved his penalty in the shoot out but I don't recall him doing anything in that last 20 mins which from memory we dominated. He seems to have missed the two Kelty League games injured before he moved to Clyde.

I assume we'll likely still have another 3 or 4 to come.

Think this is a very fair bit of analysis.

Wonder what will happen to Gavin Reilly. Two goals in 11 games, according to transfermarkt doesn't suggest he smashed it out on loan...

58 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I assume we'll likely still have another 3 or 4 to come.

That's encouraging news folks - maybe some more news to come on the forward area yet?

59 minutes ago, Kunter said:

What positives are there to comment on? Just about every player signed so far has been ripped to shreds - rightly or wrongly. 

I get you're unhappy with the last few seasons - most of us are though; we all want to be back in the Championship and pushing for the playoffs there.  But at the end of the day we need to be pragmatic as well.  The BOD (like them or not - and god knows criticism is the easiest skill out there) are also custodians of the club and it would be folly to bankrupt the club in forking out transfer fees, high salaries and lengthy contracts and still risk failing to get promoted.  Plenty of examples of clubs who have sank in that particular trap.  We need to take a measured approach here and the current strategy of bringing in a young talented and promising coach to try to formulate a winning side from a group of fairly young players with potential is an interesting strategy - so lets see how it pans out.

Remember that our budget will also be constrained by the falling crowd figures at Palmy - and this is a vicious circle of course: poor results + poor performances = lower gates = lower revenues = lower budgets = lower quality squads.  Hopefully, a good season with good wins/performances will see gates improve again and we can break the negative cycle.

37 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Russell McLean rumoured to be coming in (not sure if that means signing or invited for pre season etc)

If this is true we have him, Docherty, Reilly and Irving who did not score 10 goals between them last season. That is concerning. And we expect the most experienced in Reilly to get punted. Great post by skyline earlier. Midfield looks strong agree good to have 4 centre midfielders so maybe MB has another one lined up. Think we need another centre back who could play left or right back as both Houston and church missed a good few games last year.

47 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Russell McLean rumoured to be coming in (not sure if that means signing or invited for pre season etc)

If he sorts his attitude out he'll be an asset but he apparently had a terrible affect on our dressing room and sounds like a bit of a w**k tbh. Has a very lazy demeanour too so if he's not scoring fans will hate him. 

Anyway, Michael Ruth has gone the other way, how did he get on with you guys?

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Plenty as I pointed out to you previously but you ignored the message. I doubt you'd say them as positive though as like @Fae_the_'briggs said, you only seem to see negatives. 

That's fine. As long as you're happy then enjoy the season 👍

If it ends up going wrong don't solely blame MB like most fans will. 

He can only pi** with the d**** he's been given. 

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If he sorts his attitude out he'll be an asset but he apparently had a terrible affect on our dressing room and sounds like a bit of a w**k tbh. Has a very lazy demeanour too so if he's not scoring fans will hate him. 

I never expected anything from Ruth, and nothing was exactly what we got from him.

His role was almost excusively that of a bench filler, but once Reilly had been jettisoned to Stenny Ruth was given a chance to "claim" the number 9 role.  After 2 starts and a 37 minute shitshow performace where Marvin must have come close to losing his voice yelling at him in frustration he got hooked and we never saw Ruth again.  He seemed reluctant to get stuck in, and Marvin's issue with him seemed to stem from the fact that he just refused to do what he was told to do. 

There may be a player in him, but we never saw it.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

I get you're unhappy with the last few seasons - most of us are though; we all want to be back in the Championship and pushing for the playoffs there.  But at the end of the day we need to be pragmatic as well.  The BOD (like them or not - and god knows criticism is the easiest skill out there) are also custodians of the club and it would be folly to bankrupt the club in forking out transfer fees, high salaries and lengthy contracts and still risk failing to get promoted.  Plenty of examples of clubs who have sank in that particular trap.  We need to take a measured approach here and the current strategy of bringing in a young talented and promising coach to try to formulate a winning side from a group of fairly young players with potential is an interesting strategy - so lets see how it pans out.

Remember that our budget will also be constrained by the falling crowd figures at Palmy - and this is a vicious circle of course: poor results + poor performances = lower gates = lower revenues = lower budgets = lower quality squads.  Hopefully, a good season with good wins/performances will see gates improve again and we can break the negative cycle.

As I said previously, I'm not suggesting we spend silly amounts of money but surely we can do better than for example signing a striker from a team that's just been relegated and doesn't score goals especially when he looks like Paton is away. 

If it goes wrong fans will look as far as the end of their nose and blame MB without looking at the bigger picture. 

Edited by Kunter

7 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

I never expected anything from Ruth, and nothing was exactly what we got from him.

His role was almost excusively that of a bench filler, but once Reilly had been jettisoned to Stenny Ruth was given a chance to "claim" the number 9 role.  After 2 starts and a 37 minute shitshow performace where Marvin must have come close to losing his voice yelling at him in frustration he got hooked and we never saw Ruth again.  He seemed reluctant to get stuck in, and Marvin's issue with him seemed to stem from the fact that he just refused to do what he was told to do. 

There may be a player in him, but we never saw it.

I wasn't expecting a glowing report but thanks anyway! Hopefully a drop to League 2 and some simple sunday league tactics are what he needs. 

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Cheers SD.  That's it nailed then - no point fretting over Paton any longer.

From what I've heard there's a strong possibility that he's going to Carlisle United.  I'm just waiting on Fabrizio Romano confirming it.

53 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Someone I sit near knows him, he's either originally from or lives in Grangemouth. A few years ago he described him as Blair Hendersonesk....having watching him a few times for Peterhed and Dumbarton, I can see exactly what he meant by that, and it's not a complement.

Still concerned with the lack of experience throughout the team. Kilday is one I would have liked us to go for, feel as though we haven’t had an experienced centre half for a good few seasons now.

1 hour ago, Kunter said:

That's fine. As long as you're happy then enjoy the season 👍

If it ends up going wrong don't solely blame MB like most fans will. 

He can only pi** with the d**** he's been given. 

1 hour ago, Kunter said:

As I said previously, I'm not suggesting we spend silly amounts of money but surely we can do better than for example signing a striker from a team that's just been relegated and doesn't score goals especially when he looks like Paton is away. 

If it goes wrong fans will look as far as the end of their nose and blame MB without looking at the bigger picture. 

Do you think the BoD are withholding funds for signings? 

13 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Still concerned with the lack of experience throughout the team. Kilday is one I would have liked us to go for, feel as though we haven’t had an experienced centre half for a good few seasons now.

Partick released Darren Brownlie. Wonder what he's up to.

Edited by Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army

4 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Partick released Darren Brownlie. Wonder what he's up to.

Think he’d have a few clubs higher up than us for options unfortunately…