The Queen of the South thread

3 hours ago, bod said:

I kind of felt for Hutchinson yesterday with the lack of service but he doesn't help himself with his lack of movement. Also on a number of occasions his second touch was a tackle. That said I didn't like to hear the booing when he came off.

I agree with that. I think he has a nice touch but his real lack of any pace is worrying and doesn’t seem to have a goal in him. Can’t fault his effort though and booing was out of order. Hard to see fourth now though without a least 1 quality midfield and 1 goal scoring addition. Yesterday was just dreary. I think the Board have written of this season now and don’t trust MB on recruitment. Sink or swim now for Marv and if we don’t get into a playoff spot he will be canned in the summer

1 hour ago, Slipmat said:

Raggett has surely got to be packed off somewhere.  Quite possibly the most pointless signing in the history of the club.

Alarm bells really should have been ringing with that signing. I honestly thought they were giving a boy a run out for fitness in the EK game. He looked absolutely clueless as to what football was in that game. 

1 minute ago, HighlandQueen said:

Really? That would be madness to loan out probably our best player. 

If it meant Gibson got to play football I'm sure he'd be all for it. Bartley's stupidity/arrogance/naivety is going to end up costing us Gibson. 

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If it meant Gibson got to play football I'm sure he'd be all for it. Bartley's stupidity/arrogance/naivety is going to end up costing us Gibson. 

I don't think he's naive 😉

Unfortunately, the other two traits mentioned may be strong enough to assuage any guilt he would have about forcing out the player with the most potential we've had in a very long time.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'd say we've already loaned out probably our best player.

He's at Morton.

I think that was around a personality clash. He could hardly do that around Gibson too otherwise looks like a death wish

Just now, HighlandQueen said:

I think that was around a personality clash. He could hardly do that around Gibson too otherwise looks like a death wish

Well yes, but personality clashes seem to be a feature.

I think Bartley manages to combine arrogance with fragility.  

I'd be surprised if Gibson got loaned out too.  I agree that it would be madness.  I'm just observing, however, that it would be a madness with a precedent.

11 hours ago, Greenacres said:

The board have done the right thing why let Marvin add more to a very poor squad .

The squad is far to big already.

Yeah and who gets the punishment the board doing this "right thing" you're suggesting?

If they're not happy with Bartley then get shot it's as simple as that.

They did exactly the same with Johnston not backing him in the January transfer and we got relegated as a result. 

It's pretty conclusive how desperate they are to get us out of this division.  More than happy just to see us rot. 

11 hours ago, Kunter said:

... It's pretty conclusive how desperate they are to get us out of this division ...

Well, by the end of October it was starting to look as though they'd succeed in getting us out of L1 ... but at the wrong exit door ... 🙄

I think it is very obvious to most people who have watched us this season that players are needed in this window.  The problem we have though is that the squad is already too big.  I think players will have to move on first.  Therein lies the biggest issue.  Given how poorly some of these players have performed would anyone really take them (loan or otherwise)?

1 hour ago, Katboy said:

I think it is very obvious to most people who have watched us this season that players are needed in this window.  The problem we have though is that the squad is already too big.  I think players will have to move on first.  Therein lies the biggest issue.  Given how poorly some of these players have performed would anyone really take them (loan or otherwise)?

This season is a write off (again) and I wouldn't waste any more money or trust MB with any transfers. The goal should be to stay up in league 1. Hopefully get rid of the dross, get a new slightly more experienced manager and push on next year with hopefully Falkirk and Hamilton promoted.

3 hours ago, Katboy said:

Surely the club don't give a manager the entire seasons budget in one hit.? They know what we're signing and how much the wage bill is. 

Last week Bartley was saying he was looking to bring in a few players, this week it was a one out one in policy. His body language said it all. 

It's clear what's going to happen. Give him his own noose to hang himself then throw him in the river at the end of the season.... It stinks quite frankly mainly because they had the chance to sack him but didn't and now it's looking like they're not prepared to back him either. 

6 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

You are correct.

Thought so. The folk expecting him to be gone in summer had me doubting myself. Unless there's something in contract that means we can get shot then I expect him to be in charge next season. 

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

Thought so. The folk expecting him to be gone in summer had me doubting myself. Unless there's something in contract that means we can get shot then I expect him to be in charge next season. 

We sadly can't afford to sack Bartley till say the later part of the year .

We are allready going to lose a six figure sum from last season plus double this year bottom line is we should not be full time on crowds of 900 .

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

May 2025 according official site.

So another entire season after this one then.  It makes it still costly to get rid after this season fizzles out.

I can see him getting another go.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

So another entire season after this one then.  It makes it still costly to get rid after this season fizzles out.

I can see him getting another go.

Since it became much less likely we would be relegated I've thought he'll get another go at it next season and would only be sacked towards November/December time if it's been yet another poor first half of the season. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer