The Queen of the South thread

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Our wonderful BoD voted in favour of Rangers when the general vibe was no fan wanted it. They then let that arsehole Galloway into Palmerston when the supporters weren't allowed into the ground. Our BoD have treated the fanbase with utter contempt time and again so I have no issue with supporters returning the favour. 

The current state we're in is in no way the fault of the support. 

Can't argue or disagree with any of that and add that we now have a manager who's clueless.

Going by the strange discussion above regarding what qualifies someone as being a supporter, it sounds as though @Swarley must be a phoney fan  because he doesn't make the effort to travel to and from Australia every second week to watch the Palmerston Galacticos in action and deprives the club of his £18 ticket money!  🤔

2 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Grumble away it's your right  , my point is if you stop and others stop going to games ( not season ticket holders obviously ) then the club have less money coming in it is hardly going to improve your situation . 

where Do I draw the line ? I go to games win lose or draw thats the bottom line , Maybe it is different for a full time club with a bigger history and expectations  . I have a moan as a paying customer /Fan / supporter whatever, As a season ticket holder it becomes irrelevant whether i turn up or not of course , Ironically I will miss the upcoming  Alloa - QOTS Game due to a family commitment otherwise i would be there , I simply don't believe in withholding your cash to the club you support and then expecting things to suddenly improve . 

Finally someone on this thread that talks sense.

6 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm perfectly relaxed with the idea that my custom at Queens is conditional.

If I want to attend (which I usually do) I'll go along.  If I dont, I'll give it a miss.  I'm certainly not going to feel guilt or shame about it.  If that doesn't meet someone else's definition of being a 'supporter ', I'll live with it - believe me.

The Rangers vote convinced me that I owed the club nothing and would lend support - financial, emotional, whatever - on my own terms.

The idea of enduring physical discomfort, boredom and frustration is not particularly appealing and I don't blame anyone who decides against spending their money on it.

Bartley absolutely seems to lack any grasp of the idea that there should actually be something reciprocal in the relationship between club and fan.  

My support isn't unconditional and I don't really see why we should expect anyone else's to be.

Ah so a bandwagon fan then. As long as its going well.

8 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

Spoken like a true happy clapper.   When exactly was it last going well?

Wouldnt say i was happy about how things have been going but i think we have been unlucky with injuries. In the last 5 games QoS are the 4th in form team. Outwith the league we have done ok against better teams with a young developing team. Some folk think we should be humping part time teams but they have decent players making good money having the best of both worlds. If we want to be fulltime and be a quality full time side we need to be able to pay the wages. Simple maths. If you dont get the revenue in then to save the club going down the Edinburgh City route the club needs to live within its means, meaning we can only afford developing of lesser quality fulltime players. Unfotunately you cant make honey out of dog shit so unless we get more paying fans through the gates, we end up in a cycle of shite.

3 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Going by the strange discussion above regarding what qualifies someone as being a supporter, it sounds as though @Swarley must be a phoney fan  because he doesn't make the effort to travel to and from Australia every second week to watch the Palmerston Galacticos in action and deprives the club of his £18 ticket money!  🤔

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

How do you know I'm not? Maybe I jump in my private jet and fly across. Maybe I'm right behind you buying a pie and a can of juice...

The suggestion that if you don't do x, y or z then you aren't a supporter is utterly ludicrous, and the type of argument you'd expect to overhear from 5 year olds. If gate numbers are falling because fans are fed up with watching utter dross then that's not the fault of the fans. The fault lies with the players, management and Board. Football is an entertainment business. Money is tight for everyone. If people don't think they are getting value for money, then I don't blame them for not turning up. If people are upset about previous decisions taken by the Board, then I don't blame them for not turning up.

I attended a large number of home games between 1987 and ~2000, then a lot of home and away games between 2000 and 2008, I'm a shareholder, I encouraged my mother to sponsor a player (Bowser for a couple of seasons) whilst she owned a business, I've dragged my wife to a Cup Final even though she hates football, I've spent god knows how much on shirts and merchandise that now sits in a box. Am I a better or bigger supporter than anyone else? No, I'm a supporter, pure and simple. Like everyone else.

On 23/01/2024 at 07:50, Slipmat said:

With the same team, under the same manager, but playing entertaining, attack minded, almost unpredictable football would draw me back to Palmerston in no time.  Bartley though, like many managers these days, seems to be hellbent on coaching anything resembling creativity or doing the unexpected out of the team and it's sapping the enjoyment of watching them out of me.

I'd agree with you.  He seems to forget what level of league we currently find ourselves in.. So much negativity and build up being implemented that those with the attacking flair are restricted... which then further restricts our attacking front line.... We desperately need that League 1 midfielder who can boss the midfield and another Centre Half.... Play to the players strengths and not what we have been doing and I'd be confident squaring up to any club in the league.

The frustrating side is that when we do play those better teams, we do ok... and i don't believe its a case of the team 'upping their game' either... genuinely think that the team can technically play a good level of football... but just can't play L1 football and where the big centre mid is needed to get stuck in.

With attacking football on the menu I even think Hutchinson, purely on watching his youtube videos... would actually be the player MB thought he was signing - but played in a front 2 beside Gav

For me... the only way I think we are going to get that boost of points to get into 4th is a new manager bounce....and that aint going to happen.. 

Another thing that has been mentioned in the past threads (and not football related but i feel relevant) is the Solway Sharks.  Last season they were a volunteer led, amateur team punching quietly well above their station ... Upon promotion to National Leagues they have gone on one hell of a journey with new owners and some impressive behind the scenes work... and are again punching their way through some huge UK teams.  Now yes this is Ice Hockey.... but they now are nearly matching our crowds and quite rightly so... I full imagine alot of fans may be swayed to go there instead of Palmy and for obvious financials may have that choice to go to one or the other..... I also know that the owner would love to work on promotions with Queens, be it discounts for hockey fans with a queens ticket or vice versa......  I think it would be a great partnership for the town and enticing those weekend ice hockey fans visiting dumfries to the game would prove fruitful... (all in my own opinion obviously)

Edited by Baghdad_QoS

7 hours ago, Queens1919 said:

Ah so a bandwagon fan then. As long as its going well.

You're going to need to explain that one.

I'm familiar with the phrase involving jumping on bandwagons, but you're going to need to point out which ones I've leapt aboard.

9 hours ago, Queens1919 said:

Finally someone on this thread that talks sense.

Agree. That’s why I fork out my 450 quid every year for the shirt draw. I’m doing my bit as we all do to support the club but as I’m now away on business 3 days I’m not guilty if I choose to miss Cove as to be frank I will be knackered and it’s not much fun watching us play away to teams above with us parking the bus! 

3 hours ago, Baghdad_QoS said:

I'd agree with you.  He seems to forget what level of league we currently find ourselves in.. So much negativity and build up being implemented that those with the attacking flair are restricted... which then further restricts our attacking front line.... We desperately need that League 1 midfielder who can boss the midfield and another Centre Half.... Play to the players strengths and not what we have been doing and I'd be confident squaring up to any club in the league.

The frustrating side is that when we do play those better teams, we do ok... and i don't believe its a case of the team 'upping their game' either... genuinely think that the team can technically play a good level of football... but just can't play L1 football and where the big centre mid is needed to get stuck in.

With attacking football on the menu I even think Hutchinson, purely on watching his youtube videos... would actually be the player MB thought he was signing - but played in a front 2 beside Gav

For me... the only way I think we are going to get that boost of points to get into 4th is a new manager bounce....and that aint going to happen.. 

Another thing that has been mentioned in the past threads (and not football related but i feel relevant) is the Solway Sharks.  Last season they were a volunteer led, amateur team punching quietly well above their station ... Upon promotion to National Leagues they have gone on one hell of a journey with new owners and some impressive behind the scenes work... and are again punching their way through some huge UK teams.  Now yes this is Ice Hockey.... but they now are nearly matching our crowds and quite rightly so... I full imagine alot of fans may be swayed to go there instead of Palmy and for obvious financials may have that choice to go to one or the other..... I also know that the owner would love to work on promotions with Queens, be it discounts for hockey fans with a queens ticket or vice versa......  I think it would be a great partnership for the town and enticing those weekend ice hockey fans visiting dumfries to the game would prove fruitful... (all in my own opinion obviously)

Good post! 

7 hours ago, Swarley said:

How do you know I'm not? Maybe I jump in my private jet and fly across. Maybe I'm right behind you buying a pie and a can of juice...

The suggestion that if you don't do x, y or z then you aren't a supporter is utterly ludicrous, and the type of argument you'd expect to overhear from 5 year olds. If gate numbers are falling because fans are fed up with watching utter dross then that's not the fault of the fans. The fault lies with the players, management and Board. Football is an entertainment business. Money is tight for everyone. If people don't think they are getting value for money, then I don't blame them for not turning up. If people are upset about previous decisions taken by the Board, then I don't blame them for not turning up.

I attended a large number of home games between 1987 and ~2000, then a lot of home and away games between 2000 and 2008, I'm a shareholder, I encouraged my mother to sponsor a player (Bowser for a couple of seasons) whilst she owned a business, I've dragged my wife to a Cup Final even though she hates football, I've spent god knows how much on shirts and merchandise that now sits in a box. Am I a better or bigger supporter than anyone else? No, I'm a supporter, pure and simple. Like everyone else.

Excellent riposte. 

8 hours ago, Queens1919 said:

Wouldnt say i was happy about how things have been going but i think we have been unlucky with injuries.

That's fair. But even when we were close to full strength we've hardly looked good. 

In the last 5 games QoS are the 4th in form team.

Counts for nothing when we're lingering in 7th. Our two wins within that was against Edinburgh U17s and scraping past a truly awful Annan side. It's not really something worth highlighting. 

Outwith the league we have done ok against better teams with a young developing team.

I'd rather we did well against better sides in the league tbh. Good cup performances count for nothing if it doesn't transfer. 

Some folk think we should be humping part time teams but they have decent players making good money having the best of both worlds.

Point out a single post of such nature. No one has even complained about the fact we're not title contenders. The closest we've had is complaining about not even challenging for the playoffs. Given the size of our squad and that we're FT I don't think that's too ambitious. This whole argument kicked off because folk had a pop at those complaining about the shitshow at St Mirren/Falkirk. You being one of them. To confirm, were you content with 0 shots on target against the mighty St Mirren? 

If we want to be fulltime and be a quality full time side we need to be able to pay the wages. Simple maths. If you dont get the revenue in then to save the club going down the Edinburgh City route the club needs to live within its means, meaning we can only afford developing of lesser quality fulltime players. Unfotunately you cant make honey out of dog shit so unless we get more paying fans through the gates, we end up in a cycle of shite.

Or even better, we could use the budget sensibly? We have a handful of youth players nowhere near good enough for this level. The money being spent on them could be used to bring in a couple of decent players capable of playing at this level. The size of our squad is absolutely ridiculous. 

Again though, you're making it sound as though the fans have just decided to chuck it overnight. Have a look back at the decline of the side on the park and the state of the place off the park and you'll figure out why folk have stopped bothering. 

16 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Grumble away it's your right  , my point is if you stop and others stop going to games ... then the club have less money coming in it is hardly going to improve your situation . 

OK (I know you're just amusing yourself here ...), but the converse is that if we all keep going to the games regardless then the BOD will take no notice (or action), the status quo continues and the club's plight will not change.  At least with dwindling crowds, you might think/hope that the BOD might ask themselves the question ... "why"?

11 hours ago, Swarley said:

^^^ This.

Everyone's situation is different.  Plenty of folk live in the Dumfries area all their lives and so attend most games, which is fine and they're the lifeblood of the club.  Then there's plenty others that have moved away like myself - I left the Dumfries area at 17 and I've been away 50 years now, a fair amount in England including 3 years dahn sarf in London and periods overseas and finally ending up in South Lanarkshire.  Never stopped me being a fan/supporter, despite only getting to games whenever I feasibly could.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

OK (I know you're just amusing yourself here ...), but the converse is that if we all keep going to the games regardless then the BOD will take no notice (or action), the status quo continues and the club's plight will not change.  At least with dwindling crowds, you might think/hope that the BOD might ask themselves the question ... "why"?

Yeah i get you but i don't think that works with boardroom types  .

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

That's fair. But even when we were close to full strength we've hardly looked good. 

Counts for nothing when we're lingering in 7th. Our two wins within that was against Edinburgh U17s and scraping past a truly awful Annan side. It's not really something worth highlighting. 

I'd rather we did well against better sides in the league tbh. Good cup performances count for nothing if it doesn't transfer. 

Point out a single post of such nature. No one has even complained about the fact we're not title contenders. The closest we've had is complaining about not even challenging for the playoffs. Given the size of our squad and that we're FT I don't think that's too ambitious. This whole argument kicked off because folk had a pop at those complaining about the shitshow at St Mirren/Falkirk. You being one of them. To confirm, were you content with 0 shots on target against the mighty St Mirren? 

Or even better, we could use the budget sensibly? We have a handful of youth players nowhere near good enough for this level. The money being spent on them could be used to bring in a couple of decent players capable of playing at this level. The size of our squad is absolutely ridiculous. 

Again though, you're making it sound as though the fans have just decided to chuck it overnight. Have a look back at the decline of the side on the park and the state of the place off the park and you'll figure out why folk have stopped bothering. 

Bit depressing reading about all the transfers ins and outs and we have signed…no one. We need something to cheer us up. 

On 22/01/2024 at 17:51, Monkey Tennis said:

At least trying to make the keeper work is a reasonable expectation.

That's what's especially galling.

You could make a case at 0-0 - a pretty flimsy one in truth - for trying to hang on and nick something, or somehow squeak all the way through to penalties.  

To keep playing that way once behind, however, is nuts.  He mentions changing things in his interview, but 2 subs got introduced just as we were entering stoppage time.  

Once more, I think the ultimate aim on Saturday was to avoid getting a heavy defeat at all costs.  Even in a Cup-tie, It's how he defines success.  

I'm fed up of him.  He has an obligation to have his side attempt to offer more. 

Nobody is furious that we got eliminated, but people have a right to expect the side to show more attacking ambition.  

Given Bartley's evident lack of ambition or concerns for his obligations, the levels of frustration and/or disillusion will continue to rise, sadly, as supporters drift away. Unless you can collectively plot an insurrection, its an ominously slippery slope, as recent previous incompetents at TFS have so ablely illustrated.  

The 'playing for 0-0' scenario completely does me in; defeatist and submissive nonsense where a manager deserves all the flak he gets, but instead vocal supporters get criticised by the club or the happy clappers for not liking it.  For me it goes all the way back to the unforgivable 4-6-0 stunt that cnut Levein pulled in Prague, which showed his contempt for his obligations... Still gets work, still a media drone, which is both damning and incredible as he surely spent all his credibility that night. Bartley now seems to have pretty much spent all of his too.       

16 hours ago, Queens1919 said:

Wouldnt say i was happy about how things have been going but i think we have been unlucky with injuries. In the last 5 games QoS are the 4th in form team. Outwith the league we have done ok against better teams with a young developing team. Some folk think we should be humping part time teams but they have decent players making good money having the best of both worlds. If we want to be fulltime and be a quality full time side we need to be able to pay the wages. Simple maths. If you dont get the revenue in then to save the club going down the Edinburgh City route the club needs to live within its means, meaning we can only afford developing of lesser quality fulltime players. Unfotunately you cant make honey out of dog shit so unless we get more paying fans through the gates, we end up in a cycle of shite.

We have to try a  hybrid model to me that might work for us .

Young full time players backed up with experienced part time players.

We have to change something because the set up is not working right now.

It will not be long till the accounts are for last season which will again  show another six figure loss .

We can't keep losing huge sums of money