The Queen of the South thread

Certainly an interesting one with Kilsby.  I think he will be a decent player, however does it possibly say more on MB's thoughts going forward and the formation he's played recently with wingbacks and diamond midfield... my thoughts straight away would be his comments "Max is young but highly rated and has been impressive at BOTH ends of the park" - Is Church's injury longer than thought, does it question Gibbo's starting place? Is he ANOTHER squad player for an already bloated squad? yet another formation? Do we need more seats installed for the bench? Whats the update with Reegan? I know there was a push for a midfield, but I think with the formation we are ok in there... pending injuries

McKay/Kennedy/Mimnaugh/Johnston/Cochrane/Ferguson/Todd and then Connolly at the tip of diamond with Gibbo/Kilsby and Logan/McGuffie WB's. That Midfield 'should' be absolutely fine for a very decent L1 team... 

On 26/01/2024 at 09:30, Swarley said:

Don't worry my friends. One of our lottery jackpots is $200million next week. If I win, I'll take over at Palmerston and restore us to our previous glories. First order of business, install a massive net over the entire stadium to keep the fecking seagulls out.

Bad news, I didn't win. No anti-seagull net then.

6 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Happy as I am with the signing of Kilsby (a good one IMO), you really do have to wonder the thinking behind Bartley's recruitment strategy.  With the welcome addition of Finlay Kennedy and Niall Rogerson to the first team squad I make it that we now have twelve defenders in the group.  That's a ridiculous number for any club at this level.  In fact we now must have perhaps the biggest squad we have ever had in the history of the club, certainly since the McCall days, and yet we are still lacking in options in midfield and up top.

The dial on the Bartley Bullshit Detector has also zoomed back into the red zone too, since one of his first utterings after being appointed to the job was that he felt he had inherited a squad that was too big.  Well, he now seems to have assembled one which is approximately 5 players up on the one Gibson left him with.  I think I'm going to stop listening to him for the sake of my own sanity. 

This ^^^^ absolutely ridiculous and I'd hazard a guess our squad's bigger than even all the Championship clubs.

At least the main stand will look full with all the unused players sitting in it!

9 hours ago, Slipmat said:

The dial on the Bartley Bullshit Detector has also zoomed back into the red zone too, since one of his first utterings after being appointed to the job was that he felt he had inherited a squad that was too big.  Well, he now seems to have assembled one which is approximately 5 players up on the one Gibson left him with.  I think I'm going to stop listening to him for the sake of my own sanity. 

He did indeed say that and also that it lacked experience and was unbalanced !   He has exceeded all that.

One thing he has stuck to though is - and alarm bells sounded for me then -  was that Lewis Gibson was playing too much and needed protected.

3 hours ago, bod said:

This ^^^^ absolutely ridiculous and I'd hazard a guess our squad's bigger than even all the Championship clubs.

At least the main stand will look full with all the unused players sitting in it!

Usual negative stuff from this poster. 

For me the positives are: Kilsby looks like a quality signing and we got rid of bolshy Wilson and some dross. 

it’s a a pretty disappointing window in the round though. I get the feeling that the Board have given up on investing for 4th. Marvs been told to work with the bloated squad he’s signed and we will review his position to keep him or not and gear up again in the summer, which for the fans when we are hovering around 4th is poor and doesn’t really entice us to travel to watch the team. It’s pretty obvious they have Marv on a tight signing leash to see if we improve until the end of the season or not. 

The big miss is the lack of an experienced and aggressive midfielder to fill the Wilson/ Mimnaugh gap and another forward with goals in him. 

i have the fear about the Mumpongo ( sounds like Chima mark 2) signing as along with Doherty this guy has a really poor goals for record and we may as well have stuck with Hutchison. 

Although it’s good to have Kilsby we probably needed a right wing back rather than left given the Houston long term injury but maybe he thinks Brydon or McKay could cover if necessary. 

Overall I’m underwhelmed albeit not negative as with Brydon back, Cochrane and Reilly back in the squad, Kilsby in and Gibson starting regularly we have a chance of better form. 

Who can guess. Let’s see what tomorrow brings. 

10 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

For me the positives are: Kilsby looks like a quality signing and we got rid of bolshy Wilson...

...The big miss is the lack of an experienced and aggressive midfielder to fill the Wilson/ Mimnaugh gap 

Yes, good point.

The big plus is that we've got rid of a really strong midfielder, but the negative is that we really need to bring in a strong midfielder.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, good point.

The big plus is that we've got rid of a really strong midfielder, but the negative is that we really need to bring in a strong midfielder.

Aye but think positive, at least we've got rid of a striker who can't score and replaced him with one who has an even worse record. 

12 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

For me the positives are: Kilsby looks like a quality signing and we got rid of bolshy Wilson and some dross. 

I'm assuming that you have evidence of said bolshiness?  I've never heard anyone suggest that Wilson was argumentative or a bad egg in the dressing room. 

My understanding was that Bartley was pushing Wilson too hard to reach a level of fitness that he (Wilson) was struggling to meet and Bartley wasn't prepared to give him game-time until he met said demands.

Edited by Slipmat

11 hours ago, Slipmat said:

I'm assuming that you have evidence of said bolshiness?  I've never heard anyone suggest that Wilson was argumentative or a bad egg in the dressing room. 

My understanding was that Bartley was pushing Wilson too hard to reach a level of fitness that he (Wilson) was struggling to meet and Bartley wasn't prepared to give him game-time until he met said demands.

My understanding was that if we didn’t get promoted last season he would seek a higher level of football. Miraculous about after being injured he signed for Morton and has pretty much been an ever  present. He was at it in my opinion. He didn’t want to play for us, didn’t want to improve his fitness. Good player but good riddance. Nothing wrong with Bartley trying to get us to a professional level of fitness. 

39 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

My understanding was that if we didn’t get promoted last season he would seek a higher level of football. Miraculous about after being injured he signed for Morton and has pretty much been an ever  present. He was at it in my opinion. He didn’t want to play for us, didn’t want to improve his fitness. Good player but good riddance. Nothing wrong with Bartley trying to get us to a professional level of fitness. 

Untrue,  he did want to play for us and on a few occasions was fit but not in the squad.

Don't let facts get in the way of you singing Bartley's praises.

52 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

But he was still here in pre-season and played in the East Kilbride friendly.  I doubt he was at it or he could have been gone a lot sooner. 

If you ask any Pars or Morton fans about Wilson's injury history and availability during his times at those clubs I think they would confirm that we arguably saw more of Wilson on a game for game basis last season than they did during his spells with them before joining us.  At Dunfermline for example, he managed 15 league starts in 18 months, at Morton, 11 starts in 6 months.

It could be that this season could be a blip regarding Wilson's avoidance of injury, or that Imrie recognises his value to the team even when not 100% fit and has given him a training programme which factors in allowances for his past record with injuries and fitness, or is just prepared to select him on ability ahead of fitness data.

8 hours ago, bod said:

Untrue,  he did want to play for us and on a few occasions was fit but not in the squad.

Don't let facts get in the way of you singing Bartley's praises.

Well I won’t be singing anybody’s praises today after that rubbish, compounded by the complete absence of the red carpet you promised me…

It's really poor.

I found myself counting the remaining home fixtures when I got back from that.   There are more left than I'd hoped. 

In deciding to part with £18, you virtually know now that you won't be enjoying yourself.  I suppose it's why ever fewer are doing it.  

15 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Well I won’t be singing anybody’s praises today after that rubbish, compounded by the complete absence of the red carpet you promised me…

Promised you, there you go making things up again!