The Queen of the South thread

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

My totally uninformed guess is that if we lose the next two, placing us in genuine danger of slipping to 9th, he'll get sacked.

Failing that, this season will be allowed to fizzle out under him.  

Whether anything then happens, with a year still left on his contract, who knows? 

Yep I suspect that’s where we are. Depressing. 

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

My totally uninformed guess is that if we lose the next two, placing us in genuine danger of slipping to 9th, he'll get sacked.

Failing that, this season will be allowed to fizzle out under him.  

Whether anything then happens, with a year still left on his contract, who knows? 

Surely after the season we've had so far he'll have to get sacked in the summer?

Would be ridiculous to scrape an 8th place finish 20 points shy of the playoffs (clearly the minimum target) and then be allowed to just go again next year!?

So yeah that's probably what our board will do 🤦

4 hours ago, DoonhamerDon said:

Surely after the season we've had so far he'll have to get sacked in the summer?

Would be ridiculous to scrape an 8th place finish 20 points shy of the playoffs (clearly the minimum target) and then be allowed to just go again next year!?

So yeah that's probably what our board will do 🤦

I think at this rate we will be lucky to get 8th place.  I can see us easily losing to Stirling and Annan which would place us in a struggle to avoid 9th. This charlatan can't be allowed to continue to the end of the season.  Action is long overdue from a board that is known for inaction.

1 hour ago, Katboy said:

I think at this rate we will be lucky to get 8th place.  I can see us easily losing to Stirling and Annan which would place us in a struggle to avoid 9th. This charlatan can't be allowed to continue to the end of the season.  Action is long overdue from a board that is known for inaction.

Oh absolutely yes I agree we are in danger of 9th and I would have got rid months ago.

My comment was more surely this season has been bad enough that he will be binned in the summer wherever we actually finish in the league. There's no scenario I can see that he should be allowed to start next season.

I think the board are gambling that we will be 8th at worst and saving 4 months of a payout. 

Edited by DoonhamerDon
Typo

5 minutes ago, DoonhamerDon said:

Oh absolutely yes I agree we are in danger of 9th and I would have got rid months ago.

My comment was more surely this season has been bad enough that he will be binned in the summer wherever we actually finish in the league. There's no scenario I can see that he should be allowed to start next season.

I think the board are gambling that we will be 8th at worst and saving 4 months of a payout. 

Yes I agree totally about the 8th place gamble and while I understand why they are doing it - I think it is a huge risk. I don’t think there is any connection at present between the Manager/BOD and the supporters. The level of disenchantment at present is huge and when this level of negativity exists within a football club it seldom ends well. Annan on the other hand will battle to the death and I really worry that their fighting spirit could make the difference.

Relegation to L2 is unthinkable and for that reason I would take the hit and get rid immediately. No guarantee with new incumbent but it surely has to improve from what we are seeing just now.

I wonder if this is set up for a McCall return? I doubt he'll be inundated with offers after his stint at Clyde (I'm assuming he has a year contract) and realistically I don't think we're that attractive to any half way decent experienced managers. 

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I wonder if this is set up for a McCall return? I doubt he'll be inundated with offers after his stint at Clyde (I'm assuming he has a year contract) and realistically I don't think we're that attractive to any half way decent experienced managers. 

Not sure that right now we're that attractive to incompetent experienced managers either.

8 hours ago, 84yards said:

Yep it’s time to go Marvin. You should’ve been binned after Kelty defeat let’s be honest. 

But he’ll probably say he’s not that type of guy and fight until the end. There’s nothing he can do now though, over 90 per cent of fans want a change.
I hope supporters at the AGM don’t hold back. 

It’s not worked and I can’t be bothered with the usual and expected comments from players coming out saying they’ll fight for the manager.

The damage is done. The way we set up last night in a “must win” game was embarrassing. 

Have a bloody go! Maybe with the position we’re in now, we will. 

At the AGM Bartley will do what he does best talk a good game.

Massive gamble keeping Bartley in the hope that  Queens can stay up .

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

1 hour ago, Katboy said:

Not sure that right now we're that attractive to incompetent experienced managers either.

On the contrary.  Recent history suggests that no matter how bad a manager you are you will still be in the job for a minimum of six months longer than you deserve to be.  If you are a really bad manager, in the mould of a Bartley or a Johnston, you will likely already be on a 2+ year contract which we can't afford to sever.

The one thing you can be assured of is job security.

Edited by Slipmat

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

His contract length wasn’t disclosed in the tweet announcing him but you’d think so. Would be happy with McCall, been saying for a few months he’s who I’d want.

15 hours ago, Katboy said:

Can you please wait until after Saturday so make a decision, so we can at least make the first stage of this happen. All joking aside, from an outsiders point of view it's absolutely baffling as to why Bartley is in a job. I can see why your board went for him in the first place and why they appeared to back him in the summer, but I can't for the life of me understand what he is doing for them to stick by him. When a team has the set up and target of promotion.....and I'm guessing a competitive budget to achieve that aim, then it's absolute failure to be sitting 8th (with the potential to drop further) at this point in the season. All be it in League 2, but we have been there with a large number of managers over the recent years, good guys that just weren't hitting the aims of the club, and there's only so long you can back them for.

I'm sure QOS fans don't need me pointing that out to them, but what I would like to say is that I am a semi regular listener to the Clyde Super Scoreboard podcast and I always find it cringe when Bartley, Duffy and Wilson comment on other teams affairs when they have made such a booboo out of their management stints at QoS, Clyde and of course Brechin, and in the case of the 3 of them, leave a team in a far worse position than when they took over. Imagine having the brass neck to sit there getting paid for an opinion when you can't get your own house in order. Surely that's something that also irks your support? 

12 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I know his previous stint as manager didn't go well but I'm a big fan of McCall and i'm sure he would love one last crack of the job to turn things around for you (am I right in thinking you were his boyhood club as well) and given what I would probably guess would be a full squad to rebuild, then I think he would do a cracking job at that. Although I haven't read it anywhere, when McCall was on the Scottish Football podcast after his appointment at Clyde, it came across strongly that he was only there until the summer and when he knew what was happening he would discuss things further with Maitland. I could be wrong, I don't know, but it certainly came across as that.

Just a passing thought I had yesterday but what kind of compo Clyde would be entitled to, or want, if we could get McCall ( and Scally) in asap rather than wait till summer or whenever, assuming he's interested in coming here of course. Obviously there's the cost of payoff for Bartley and Murray to consider first but I'd rather try get someone in to try and save what's left of this season, and give a head start with preps for next season , whichever division we're in. Maybe a bit pie in sky thinking on my part but it's really getting desperate now and big decisions (and money being spent) are needed. Of course the Board may be reluctant to open the purse until they know what division we'll be in next season.

More and more supporters have already voted with their football and more have promised to not return after yet another home defeat at the weekend. 
the BOD have no option but to get shot of this clown. 
He promised both the club & the players he’d get them promoted this season. 

Aye right Marvin. Your time is up. 

9 hours ago, QoS99 said:

His contract length wasn’t disclosed in the tweet announcing him but you’d think so. Would be happy with McCall, been saying for a few months he’s who I’d want.

Definitely a 2 and half year contract.

Even if we limp to 8th place and we sack him he will still over a year to go .

Going to cost a huge lump sum to get rid of him but we can't let him assemble another poor squad like this .

Iain McCall is my favourite for the job but would he take it with the changes that we will have to make 

On the full  time thing does it make a difference .

We have played many part time teams better organised and just as fit as us .

40 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Can you please wait until after Saturday so make a decision, so we can at least make the first stage of this happen. All joking aside, from an outsiders point of view it's absolutely baffling as to why Bartley is in a job. I can see why your board went for him in the first place and why they appeared to back him in the summer, but I can't for the life of me understand what he is doing for them to stick by him. When a team has the set up and target of promotion.....and I'm guessing a competitive budget to achieve that aim, then it's absolute failure to be sitting 8th (with the potential to drop further) at this point in the season. All be it in League 2, but we have been there with a large number of managers over the recent years, good guys that just weren't hitting the aims of the club, and there's only so long you can back them for.

I'm sure QOS fans don't need me pointing that out to them, but what I would like to say is that I am a semi regular listener to the Clyde Super Scoreboard podcast and I always find it cringe when Bartley, Duffy and Wilson comment on other teams affairs when they have made such a booboo out of their management stints at QoS, Clyde and of course Brechin, and in the case of the 3 of them, leave a team in a far worse position than when they took over. Imagine having the brass neck to sit there getting paid for an opinion when you can't get your own house in order. Surely that's something that also irks your support

I know his previous stint as manager didn't go well but I'm a big fan of McCall and i'm sure he would love one last crack of the job to turn things around for you (am I right in thinking you were his boyhood club as well) and given what I would probably guess would be a full squad to rebuild, then I think he would do a cracking job at that. Although I haven't read it anywhere, when McCall was on the Scottish Football podcast after his appointment at Clyde, it came across strongly that he was only there until the summer and when he knew what was happening he would discuss things further with Maitland. I could be wrong, I don't know, but it certainly came across as that.

This ^^^^ especially the highlighted paragraph.

McCall would be a reasonable suggestion, loads of experience, talks sense (well most of the time anyway), knows what makes players tick and importantly can spot the talent from the dross.  I suspect he is a bit volatile though and could be hard for the BOD to manage, and when he left us before was it on good terms or with acrimony involved?  Can't quite recall.

That said, he seems to be doing a job with Clyde just now - they spanked the leaders Stenny 6-1 away from home no less on Saturday.  So maybe he'll feel he's started something at Clyde that he wants to see through and won't want to move - especially to a club in free-fall like us, even if we were his home town club as a boy.

There's also the geographical element.  IIRC he doesn't drive, but then again we train in Hamilton which isn't too far from his "home" turf in Maryhill or wherever and easily reachable by train.

2 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Can you please wait until after Saturday so make a decision, so we can at least make the first stage of this happen ...

Dinna fash man, dinna fash ... Saturday's the surest three points you'll get all season long.

PS - the rest of your post is bang on.  Cheers.

5 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

I'm sure QOS fans don't need me pointing that out to them, but what I would like to say is that I am a semi regular listener to the Clyde Super Scoreboard podcast and I always find it cringe when Bartley, Duffy and Wilson comment on other teams affairs when they have made such a booboo out of their management stints at QoS, Clyde and of course Brechin, and in the case of the 3 of them, leave a team in a far worse position than when they took over. Imagine having the brass neck to sit there getting paid for an opinion when you can't get your own house in order. Surely that's something that also irks your support? 

While I'm not a listener to Super Scoreboard I know he is a regular on the programme.  It always makes my blood boil when managers talk with such authority on other teams affairs (and ignoring the failings in their own teams).  Maybe they should spend a bit more time on their own teams affairs and a bit less pontificating about others.  I agree with the rest of your post also.  You are no different from most of us when you can't understand why he is still in the post.  He must be talking a very good game to our BOD!

No need for you to panic though, this will probably be the easiest 3 points you will get all season.

I noticed on Facebook that someone suggested putting DAN in charge of the playing side for rest of season. Funnily enough I bumped into Dan at the recent Kelty away game and said the exact same thing to him. He laughed BUT I was deadly serious. Dan has done brilliantly in every job at the club. - why would he necessarily fail at this one?

I think Dan would energise the entire club because everybody would be willing him to do well. Let’s be honest the playing results can only go one way. That would buy us time until we can make another appointment or just decide that he is the man for the job. The players might also just “pull their fingers out”.