The Queen of the South thread

There is another complication to add to the mix in the final 9 games ... Falkirk have pretty well won the league now and their focus will start to wane as the finish line approaches, giving some squad players game time etc, and Accies who are safe in 2nd will want to manage their squad also re injuries etc as they approach the promotion playoffs. So expect to see some unpredictable results from their remaining fixtures.

19 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Very true, Stirling and Kelty are both as deep in the shit as we are.

Biggest difference is, our pre-season target was simply to stay in the league, so we look at as being on course to do that. With Falkirk, Hamilton, Montrose, Cove away and then the derby our next 5 games then we’ll drop some points in the coming week but despite it being a draw yesterday, if you take that game in isolation, I would expect us to pick up more points than you over the last 4 games….Kelty away, QoS home, Edinburgh away and then Annan at home. Our fate really is in our own hands, even if/when you do leapfrog us in the next week or 2.

Edited by BB_Bino

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

There is another complication to add to the mix in the final 9 games ... Falkirk have pretty well won the league now and their focus will start to wane as the finish line approaches, giving some squad players game time etc, and Accies who are safe in 2nd will want to manage their squad also re injuries etc as they approach the promotion playoffs. So expect to see some unpredictable results from their remaining fixtures.

I'd suggest their focus will be on remaining undefeated so it'll make them as determined as before to keep winning. 

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Not sure that's true with Falkirk, there's no real reason to give squad players a game as there's nothing to save the first 11 for. They have an unbeaten run to continue and will be desperate to do that. There may be the odd player who they are not sure about offering a contract to who gets a run out but I doubt it will mean any major changes to the team. Similar situation to Dunfermline last season (think they had a club record to go for?) and they kept on going full steam to the end of the season.

Accies are a different situation as teams assured of play-offs always mix things up. However their form has been very up and down anyway so there probably won't be any noticeable difference.

The last few months  have has been woeful watching queens . I have supported queens for over 40 years and have seen high and lows if you had told me I would see them in a Scottish cup with 17500 fans there ( where have they gone ). Been one of the 900 in Copenhagen when I was 12 I would never believed you . 
I know a lot of fans not happy with board and manager ( not a fan ) but we need to get to end of season and then refocus on the future .

The sad thing for me is I can’t see a knight in shining armour going to plough millions into club would love to know if there was . I think we have been blessed with fortune since the Harkness era  with local people putting good money into club ( Blount , Bradford, Rae , hewitson  plus others )

maybe someone out there is ready to do the same thou not sure where they are .But maybe we as fans can help by supporting the team and helping stay in division. Already got ticket for Annan massive game . 
Finally a message to the manager please please go back to play a style the fans enjoy not the negativity we have been watching  and I am sorry but this is not players, refs, linesmen, colour of strips we play in or any other excuse I have heard from you this season this is down to you . So change and listen to the fans and let the players play with Passion 

Another post match interview, and once again Marvin decides to name names when it comes to individual errors.  Efe and Logan are this weeks scapegoats - two players that he will almost certainly have to select in the starting eleven next week depending on the severity of the injuries to Brydon and McClelland.  That's a sure way to restore confidence in players who will only be too aware that they could have done better in certain situations. 

I've thought from a spectator's point of view that the players don't know what they're meant to be doing this season, but now I'm also of the belief that they are actually frightened to do things for fear of being publicly singled out as the reason a goal has been conceded or a game has been lost/drawn. 

As forecast above by others, the officials get hammered over a supposed missed foul, and Brydon going off is factored into the explanation of why Bartley isn't to blame.  No mention of the personnel he selected or positions he chose to play them in.  In fact it seems he did nothing wrong again but bad luck, poor officiating and individual mistakes cost us dearly.

For those who can't be arsed listening to his thoughts, the remainder of the interview consists of Sandra making statements and Marvin agreeing with her.  The highlight of the interview was that it was shorter than usual - he must have been in a hurry to go and admire himself in the mirror before heading off to the testimonial dinner.

Edited by Slipmat
sloppy punctuation

4 hours ago, Swarley said:

I'd suggest their focus will be on remaining undefeated so it'll make them as determined as before to keep winning. 

4 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Not sure that's true with Falkirk, there's no real reason to give squad players a game as there's nothing to save the first 11 for. They have an unbeaten run to continue and will be desperate to do that. There may be the odd player who they are not sure about offering a contract to who gets a run out but I doubt it will mean any major changes to the team. Similar situation to Dunfermline last season (think they had a club record to go for?) and they kept on going full steam to the end of the season.

Accies are a different situation as teams assured of play-offs always mix things up. However their form has been very up and down anyway so there probably won't be any noticeable difference.

Yes, there is indeed an argument to say that Falkirk won't knowingly take their foot off the gas. However, in such cases it's often a subconscious thing that happens when the club, management, players know deep down that the deed is done and 100% effort gradually becomes 95%, then 90% etc. and they're then facing clubs that still have a serious need of points for other reasons. I'm not saying it won't happen, but it could.

3 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Another post match interview, and once again Marvin decides to name names when it comes to individual errors.  Efe and Logan are this weeks scapegoats - two players that he will almost certainly have to select in the starting eleven next week depending on the severity of the injuries to Brydon and McClelland.  That's a sure way to restore confidence in players who will only be too aware that they could have done better in certain situations. 

I've thought from a spectator's point of view that the players don't know what they're meant to be doing this season, but now I'm also of the belief that they are actually frightened to do things for fear of being publicly singled out as the reason a goal has been conceded or a game has been lost/drawn. 

As forecast above by others, the officials get hammered over a supposed missed foul, and Brydon going off is factored into the explanation of why Bartley isn't to blame.  No mention of the personnel he selected or positions he chose to play them in.  In fact it seems he did nothing wrong again but bad luck, poor officiating and individual mistakes cost us dearly.

For those who can't be arsed listening to his thoughts, the remainder of the interview consists of Sandra making statements and Marvin agreeing with her.  The highlight of the interview was that it was shorter than usual - he must have been in a hurry to go and admire himself in the mirror before heading off to the testimonial dinner.

I've given up watching the post match interviews now ... just a waste of time.

1 hour ago, Artemis said:

I’m struggling to think when Queens last benefitted from a mistake by the officials. It must be at least a week.

Yeah, but it's not as if it was an absolute whopper that saw us benefit to a massive extent, that our basic ineptitude meant we couldn't capitalise on.

On 03/03/2024 at 10:53, lowland star said:

The last few months  have has been woeful watching queens . I have supported queens for over 40 years and have seen high and lows if you had told me I would see them in a Scottish cup with 17500 fans there ( where have they gone ). Been one of the 900 in Copenhagen when I was 12 I would never believed you . 
I know a lot of fans not happy with board and manager ( not a fan ) but we need to get to end of season and then refocus on the future .

The sad thing for me is I can’t see a knight in shining armour going to plough millions into club would love to know if there was . I think we have been blessed with fortune since the Harkness era  with local people putting good money into club ( Blount , Bradford, Rae , hewitson  plus others )

maybe someone out there is ready to do the same thou not sure where they are .But maybe we as fans can help by supporting the team and helping stay in division. Already got ticket for Annan massive game . 
Finally a message to the manager please please go back to play a style the fans enjoy not the negativity we have been watching  and I am sorry but this is not players, refs, linesmen, colour of strips we play in or any other excuse I have heard from you this season this is down to you . So change and listen to the fans and let the players play with Passion 

The club has been slowly dragged down the last 6 years through lack of investment. We had the best part of a million quid in the bank and didn't do anything with it.

A change of board will freshen things up no end. People who want to be there to take the club forwards. Last thing we need is millions getting pumped in. Just some half decent quality will do. 

Nice touch getting QOS email today (first one this season) with thanks for attending with link following the monthly newsletter last week. Communications are improving

19 hours ago, Kunter said:

The club has been slowly dragged down the last 6 years through lack of investment. We had the best part of a million quid in the bank and didn't do anything with it.

A change of board will freshen things up no end. People who want to be there to take the club forwards. Last thing we need is millions getting pumped in. Just some half decent quality will do. 

That's a fair bit of interest,  providing it was invested properly!

Find it mad that people on social media (less so on here) are bemoaning the board's resignation. There can be little doubt that their tenure has been a failure. When they came in we were challenging at the top of the second tier. They're leaving with us struggling at the bottom of the third tier, our crowds between 1/3 and a 1/4 of what they were and should be, the stadium a wreck, and the relationship with fans in tatters. Yes, there is a risk the new board won't be great, only time will tell, but it's not as if the outgoing board has been very good itself.

Edited by Priti priti priti Patel

18 minutes ago, sidofthesouth said:

Anyone else just aimlessly check the club website first thing every morning to see if hes been punted yet?

Nope, ain't happening.  This board has body-swerved that decision by announcing their departure at the end of the season - leaving it to the next board to make the difficult/painful decision.  To say that this season has been a complete car-crash is a serious understatement.

2 hours ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

Find it mad that people on social media (less so on here) are bemoaning the board's resignation. There can be little doubt that their tenure has been a failure. When they came in we were challenging at the top of the second tier. They're leaving with us struggling at the bottom of the third tier, our crowds between 1/3 and a 1/4 of what they were and should be, the stadium a wreck, and the relationship with fans in tatters. Yes, there is a risk the new board won't be great, only time will tell, but it's not as if the outgoing board has been very good itself.

The people who are in the “be careful for what you wish for” camp do my head in.

I don’t think it’s expecting too much for a full time team to be making an attempt for promotion in this league (as the minimum) and our ground not being left to ruin. The way others will have you believe we should be happy to just have a team.

2 hours ago, sidofthesouth said:

Anyone else just aimlessly check the club website first thing every morning to see if hes been punted yet?

Nah. I'm resigned to him being here until the end of the season now. The only way he wont be is if we finish 9th. I think he'll walk at that point to prevent him having a relegation on his CV right off the bat. 

2 hours ago, QoS99 said:

The people who are in the “be careful for what you wish for” camp do my head in.

I don’t think it’s expecting too much for a full time team to be making an attempt for promotion in this league (as the minimum) and our ground not being left to ruin. The way others will have you believe we should be happy to just have a team.

I agree with this. I get the "the grass isn't always greener" but at this stage in proceedings it literally can't be any worse, can it?

I don't think anyone on this board is expecting us to be playing like Messi era Barca but a bit of fight, passion and, heaven forbid, the occasional win is hardly a big ask.

4 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Agree with that. The Norman Blount reboot post the Harkness era is a great example. All this talk of keep it local and don’t look at ‘foreign’ options smacks of small time thinking too….we need to stem the stench of decay and underachievement at Queens now. Starting with a committed, attacking performance and win at the weekend to banish the ghost of Division 2. Then let’s look at a strategic vision with competent people that can propel us upward.