The Queen of the South thread

13 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Murphy saying that Thomson, McLinden and Ross have been offered 2 year deals and although Bryson, Oram and Meagher can stay they are unlikely to get opportunities so are free to leave should they wish to do so.  Shame about Oram, who always looked a better prospect than Johnstone in my opinion on the odd occasion I saw them play for the reserves.

Ben Johnstone streets ahead of Oram IMHO. 

That 3 were never given the opportunity to stay..they were told they were not getting a contract so to leave.Everyone entitled to an opinion but Oram is a better player than Johnston just never at any time given a proper chance by Queens.

23 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yeah that bit might be a problem.

That had occurred to me too! I enjoy my periodic trips to Palmerston in many ways (not having to go to Ayrshire for a start!), but the quality on offer has rather tailed off in recent seasons. I think there is cause for cautious optimism right now, but whether you'll challenge for promotion remains to be seen. Not having actual fullbacks may be all the rage in Scottish football these days, but it doesn't make it right. As you and others have said, a goalscorer would be nice too.

8 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Not sure that applies in this case, given that the son’s presence at the club is what brought the director on board. 

If that’s the case great. I don’t know either Father or Son. Just hope it works out. 

2 hours ago, Tam Cromwell said:

That 3 were never given the opportunity to stay..they were told they were not getting a contract so to leave.Everyone entitled to an opinion but Oram is a better player than Johnston just never at any time given a proper chance by Queens.

Johnston is a country mile ahead of Oram both technically and physically. 

Embarassing that the McLinden boy has been given a deal. Token gesture. Probably due to the fact that his dad is on the board at Palmerston. 

9 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Not sure that applies in this case, given that the son’s presence at the club is what brought the director on board. 

I think we should all be extremely grateful that we have him as a new director as so far there’s nobody else come in to replace Billy & Craig. The difference he & the new CEO Danny Armstrong have made in & around Palmerston is unbelievable. 
I personally think we’re heading in the right direction again so let’s be grateful for what we’ve got. The league campaign can’t come quick enough for me. 

5 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Bartley has a few harsh words to say about the players last season on Open Goal.

Of course he does. Presumably nothing was his fault? 

9 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

I think we should all be extremely grateful that we have him as a new director as so far there’s nobody else come in to replace Billy & Craig. The difference he & the new CEO Danny Armstrong have made in & around Palmerston is unbelievable. 
I personally think we’re heading in the right direction again so let’s be grateful for what we’ve got. The league campaign can’t come quick enough for me. 

Agree about the impact the new Director and Dan are having, my concern is wondering if dad McLinden will stick around if his boy doesn't have a future at Queens.

1 minute ago, QoS99 said:

Bartley has a few harsh words to say about the players last season on Open Goal.

I would like to hear some of the players' views on Bartley. 

2 minutes ago, Swarley said:

Of course he does. Presumably nothing was his fault? 

Yep not a lot of self critiquing going on. He effectively said his work rate wasn’t being matched by the players and there were “7 or 8 bad apples” in the dressing room last year.

2 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Yep not a lot of self critiquing going on. He effectively said his work rate wasn’t being matched by the players and there were “7 or 8 bad apples” in the dressing room last year.

If only he had the chance to bring in his own players. 

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If only he had the chance to bring in his own players. 

It was another Playstation like rant on 54 minutes onwards about the players professionalism.

55 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

It was another Playstation like rant on 54 minutes onwards about the players professionalism.

Just watched it there. Some laugh. I can appreciate his frustration with players not being to his professional standard and the McDonalds thing was pretty disgraceful. I'm not sure what that has to do with him playing the same failing system every single week though. No personal responsibility yet again and so arrogant - "I'm not going to that level again". Does he think sides higher up will be sniffing around him?! 

I did chuckle at the KFC comment when Si Ferry was gobsmacked with it. Would love the camera to have stayed on when Bartley let Ferry know it was their soon to be new signing he was talking about :lol:

1 hour ago, the_palmy_pie said:

I have to agree Dan and the new director are doing a great job.

On the board was it not July that we had somebody else  lined up to join.

22 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Just watched it there. Some laugh. I can appreciate his frustration with players not being to his professional standard and the McDonalds thing was pretty disgraceful. I'm not sure what that has to do with him playing the same failing system every single week though. No personal responsibility yet again and so arrogant - "I'm not going to that level again". Does he think sides higher up will be sniffing around him?! 

I did chuckle at the KFC comment when Si Ferry was gobsmacked with it. Would love the camera to have stayed on when Bartley let Ferry know it was their soon to be new signing he was talking about :lol:

I thought it was interesting that he said the poor attitude was pretty much all the younger players that he’d signed. He was getting that worked up at one point I thought he was just going to name them all.

His attitude suggests to me that he hasn’t really reflected on what he could have done differently. It’s not just the players who need to change their attitude if they want to be successful in the future.

40 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Pishing myself when the KFC and ferry giving it big no way. 

56 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

...  No personal responsibility yet again and so arrogant - "I'm not going to that level again". Does he think sides higher up will be sniffing around him?!  ...

Aye, delusional or what  ... never know though, maybe a Championship side will be looking for a kit man ...