The Queen of the South thread

11 hours ago, cooshedder said:

Is it a scramble for ict  players now

I think Charlie Gilmour is good. Paul Allan is good. 

Jake Davidson, Luis Longstaff and Wallace Duffy decent. 

After that there’s really not much else there when the loans are cancelled. 

Yet another defeat we lack any sort of goal threat .

Murphy honeymoon period is over things need to inprove very quickly this season is fast turning into a nightmare .

The annoying thing is with all that is going on at Inverness the league is wide open.

1 hour ago, overthetop said:

Our squad is full of very ordinary footballers and has been for years. It’s our reality and we can only hope for improvement as the season goes on. 

No entertainment in that. I saw 2 valid shots on goal for us. l. Much of the game square passes in our own half accompanied by ponderous short passes in the midfield. No cut and thrust, no movement or pace and 1 up front is awful to watch. McIntosh and Doherty aren’t even league 2 standard. Unless we find a tactical solution or a free agent up front we will be detached from the play off group before the January window. 6 away games in all competitions without a goal is horrendous and my worry is that Murphy hasn’t fixed this. No plan A never mind a plan B. He needs to find some sort of solution to grind out wins fast. That was a really awful watch today. No happy clapping Queens fans in the 50 or so I was with today. That’s for sure

Well, shite though this is, it ain't exactly a shock to most Queens fans ... the lack of any serious forward threat in our squad was there for all to see back in the summer.

Nine goals in ten games (and none away from home) doesn't get you into the promotion play offs. Woeful.

I wasn't there today so no idea how good or bad it was, but I've slowly realised that expecting to be entertained at the football nowadays seems to come well behind how teams get a result. You can watch the top sides playing and it can be crap to watch but that doesn't seem to matter if the result goes your way. Unfortunately you've got to accept it or give up watching. 

12 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Well, shite though this is, it ain't exactly a shock to most Queens fans ... the lack of any serious forward threat in our squad was there for all to see back in the summer.

Nine goals in ten games (and none away from home) doesn't get you into the promotion play offs. Woeful.

As I said I wasn't there so no idea if our forwards squandered chances or had poor service or whatever. Losing goals to me kind of points to deficiencies in the defence and midfield rather than poor forwards.  

1 hour ago, HighlandQueen said:

No entertainment in that. I saw 2 valid shots on goal for us. l. Much of the game square passes in our own half accompanied by ponderous short passes in the midfield. No cut and thrust, no movement or pace and 1 up front is awful to watch. McIntosh and Doherty aren’t even league 2 standard. Unless we find a tactical solution or a free agent up front we will be detached from the play off group before the January window. 6 away games in all competitions without a goal is horrendous and my worry is that Murphy hasn’t fixed this. No plan A never mind a plan B. He needs to find some sort of solution to grind out wins fast. That was a really awful watch today. No happy clapping Queens fans in the 50 or so I was with today. That’s for sure

Clearly if your team grinds out wins when playing dull, unattractive, unentertaining football supporters will largely stick with it. The problem comes when you get found out and results slump and there is nothing positive to say about the underlying performances. Sadly, that is where we are now.

This tactic of aimlessly passing the ball to death deep in your own half is in danger of killing any lingering enthusiasm that most of us have for watching football. Don’t get me wrong - it’s not just us but our Manager is an advocate of it and my question is …………..if keeping cheap possession in your own final third is such a crucial success factor why can’t we score one solitary goal in 450 minutes of L1 football away from home? Worse still this possession based football barely results in a dangerous cross or shot on target. 

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

As I said I wasn't there so no idea if our forwards squandered chances or had poor service or whatever. Losing goals to me kind of points to deficiencies in the defence and midfield rather than poor forwards.  

Didn’t make any chances to miss! 

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

This tactic of aimlessly passing the ball to death deep in your own half is in danger of killing any lingering enthusiasm that most of us have for watching football. Don’t get me wrong - it’s not just us but our Manager is an advocate of it and my question is …………..if keeping cheap possession in your own final third is such a crucial success factor why can’t we score one solitary goal in 450 minutes of L1 football away from home? Worse still this possession based football barely results in a dangerous cross or shot on target. 

Can't comment on today's match as I wasn't there, but your quoted point is a good one.

I often wonder if managers at this level look at successful expensively assembled teams who win games through playing possession football, often enjoying ridiculously high percentages of 70-80% over a match and just think "if it works for them it can work for us" without actually taking into account that Scottish League One players just aren't good enough to play in such a way - they don't have the vision, movement or basic skill to keep possession without making mistakes and are bound to give the ball away fairly frequently.

The vision and movement factors are particularly important - and lacking - hence why the ball is relentlessly passed sideways from defender to defender while midfielders jog around aimlessly at best or just stand still waiting for the pass and get closed down while doing so.   Another thing which doesn't help is the unwillingness of managers to set up with more than one forward.  At best we tend to see a lone number 9 with a 10 lying in a (too) deep forward role.  In my earliest days of going to games the standard formation was 4-2-4 (I'm happy to say that in terms of my age I have no recollection of the fabled 2-3-5 W-M formation!) which will probably never return, but  I long to see a team set up on the basis of the old adage that the "best form of defence is to attack"!

All that being said, I think the recent pessimism from some fans is totally OTT.  Yes, we've had two bad results, but 2 games ago we were top of the league!  It's such a tight league that any team that puts 3 or 4 wins together could build up a healthy lead.  But Murphy needs to find a way of getting us up the park far quicker, and in greater numbers, if that club is going to be us.  

31 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

There is certainly room for improvement in some areas but this all seems a bit harsh.

Surely we should appreciate the vast difference from the shambles of  last season.

There is certainly a difference imo but "vast" may be stretching it a bit.

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Likewise I wasn't there today either, but  the lack of any goals away from home so far is worrying and tells a tale. Few defences will survive 90 minutes without conceding if their forwards aren't carrying any threat to the opposition up front ... it's the proverbial first line of defence.

54 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Can't comment on today's match as I wasn't there, but your quoted point is a good one.

I often wonder if managers at this level look at successful expensively assembled teams who win games through playing possession football, often enjoying ridiculously high percentages of 70-80% over a match and just think "if it works for them it can work for us" without actually taking into account that Scottish League One players just aren't good enough to play in such a way - they don't have the vision, movement or basic skill to keep possession without making mistakes and are bound to give the ball away fairly frequently.

The vision and movement factors are particularly important - and lacking - hence why the ball is relentlessly passed sideways from defender to defender while midfielders jog around aimlessly at best or just stand still waiting for the pass and get closed down while doing so.   Another thing which doesn't help is the unwillingness of managers to set up with more than one forward.  At best we tend to see a lone number 9 with a 10 lying in a (too) deep forward role.  In my earliest days of going to games the standard formation was 4-2-4 (I'm happy to say that in terms of my age I have no recollection of the fabled 2-3-5 W-M formation!) which will probably never return, but  I long to see a team set up on the basis of the old adage that the "best form of defence is to attack"!

All that being said, I think the recent pessimism from some fans is totally OTT.  Yes, we've had two bad results, but 2 games ago we were top of the league!  It's such a tight league that any team that puts 3 or 4 wins together could build up a healthy lead.  But Murphy needs to find a way of getting us up the park far quicker, and in greater numbers, if that club is going to be us.  

Your last sentence is the key one. As Einstein said… the definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result ( or some such). The key is that Murphy has to find a way to do what you suggest and get us goals = wins. Starting I would suggest next week. This is a poor and very even league and we need to stop making a meal of this! 

1 hour ago, HighlandQueen said:

Were you there today? 

Serious question - We're 1 game into the second quarter and you've been all over our shit results/performances - that's absolutely fair enough. But given you were a Bartley fan until about a fortnight before he was sacked and we were at the very best under his reign as good as we've been so far this season (though I'd say shitter) is there a reason you're suddenly such a doom-monger? 

Is this just your schtick from now on or are you genuinely related/a pal of Bartley?