The Queen of the South thread

Extract from EoS season review,

As we approach the club and player awards, I frequently get asked my choice for the player of the year award. There are always a few in your mind, however, in my opinion my Premier League player is Spartans’ Chris Townsley. Chris brought with him his SFL experience. He has good positional sense about his game and he is very comfortable on the ground. Defensively he is very strong in the air and has also been a constant threat in the opposition box.

My 1st Division is Gretna 2008’s Gavin Reilly. Good movement, comes short to link in as well as runs long. Makes excellent channel runs. Very good touch and can finish with either foot.

I am sure you all will have your own opinions. Enjoy your summer holidays although the player’s preseason is less than a month away!

Willie Darroch EOS Manager.

The rumours were true, Paul Burns has joined Dunfermline.

Is this a good signing for us, can he make the step up? :ph34r:

I don't think so, he's too light weight. A bit like Wullie Gibson, a good second level player but not good enough for the SPL. He will spend most of your one season in the top league sitting on the bench. <_<

I don't think so, he's too light weight. A bit like Wullie Gibson, a good second level player but not good enough for the SPL. He will spend most of your one season in the top league sitting on the bench. dry.gif

You can tell you haven't seen him play much at all.

Edited by Qos_Fc

I don't think Dobbie would be too shit hot at Scotland, keeping in mind that a Scottish striker will often be up top by his own and will have to put in a ton of workate would he really fit in? good player but wouldn't fit into any system I've seen Scotland play.

I don't think so, he's too light weight. A bit like Wullie Gibson, a good second level player but not good enough for the SPL. He will spend most of your one season in the top league sitting on the bench. <_<

He's f**k all like Gibson.

I don't think so, he's too light weight. A bit like Wullie Gibson, a good second level player but not good enough for the SPL. He will spend most of your one season in the top league sitting on the bench. dry.gif

Come on Truthy.

Give us an example of a time when you've seen Burns suffer as a result of his slight physique.

Yes, he'll be lighter than the average footballer, but he's not "lightweight" at all in terms of how he plays, or the contribution he makes.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

I don't think Dobbie would be too shit hot at Scotland, keeping in mind that a Scottish striker will often be up top by his own and will have to put in a ton of workate would he really fit in? good player but wouldn't fit into any system I've seen Scotland play.

Much as I like Dobbie and would love to see him get a chance at International level, I suspect you're maybe right.

Dobbie's sort of the anti-Kenny Miller. He can't do what Miller does, but fortunately can do the many things Miller can't.

In Scotland terms, it is hard to see where he'd fit, given the way Scotland seem determined to play these days.

Disappointed to see Paul Burns go, although the way the last few weeks have developed there was a certain inevitability about it. Best of luck to him , he deserves a crack at a higher level & I'm sure he won't let Dunfermline down.

On subject of Stephen Dobbie, best finisher I have seen at Palmerston. He's had a good end to the season, don't see him getting a Scotland call up any time soon though. He isn't really suited to playing the lone striker role which Levein seems determined to persist with.

Much as I like Dobbie and would love to see him get a chance at International level, I suspect you're maybe right.

Dobbie's sort of the anti-Kenny Miller. He can't do what Miller does, but fortunately can do the many things Miller can't.

In Scotland terms, it is hard to see where he'd fit, given the way Scotland seem determined to play these days.

He can do the sort of things Ross McCormack does and he'll be playing a level higher up than McCormack next season presuming he stays at Swansea and plays regularly.

I don't think he'll start for Scotland very often but he can have a role even if only as a sub.

Disappointed to see Paul Burns go, although the way the last few weeks have developed there was a certain inevitability about it. Best of luck to him , he deserves a crack at a higher level & I'm sure he won't let Dunfermline down.

On subject of Stephen Dobbie, best finisher I have seen at Palmerston. He's had a good end to the season, don't see him getting a Scotland call up any time soon though. He isn't really suited to playing the lone striker role which Levein seems determined to persist with.

Well no, he isn't. But then as I said above Swansea haven't been playing him as an out and out striker either. They've been playing him in the hole between striker and midfield, a position Levein does play sometimes. He's sent McCormack out in that position. It's also the sort of position James McFadden often played when fit, though he hasn't had the chance under Levein.

As for Burns, the last few weeks have very little to do with it. Even if we were absolutely fine financially Paul Burns would be away to Dunfermline. It's an SPL opportunity on a two year deal on a significant wage rise for a 27 year old who probably won't get another chance to move up. He absolutely has to take it and would have done regardless of what we had been able to offer him. Very good player, often under-rated by opposition based on his size, but has become a more complete player in the last 12 months. I'm sure he'll do well. Absolute gentleman too, I wish him all the best.

I hope Paul Burns does well and deserves this chance.

He has been one of our most consistent performers season after season and in the last two has shown growing confidence and maturity even chipping in with a few goals. He has a huge heart and is a tireless runner and is constantly harrying and biting at the heels of opposition midfielders.

His growing maturity was most evident when he was aksed to switch to the left side of midfield in the cup game against Rangers to help combat the strong running of Whittaker (and I think Rothen) He had one of his best displays for the club which suggest that he can make a contribution in the SPL.

Good luck, Burnsy. I really hope it works out.

A terrific player whom it has been a pleasure to watch. Still looks like a skinny kid ten years after his debut! As has been said, don't let his physique fool you; he's a battler and our side has missed him on the rare occasions he has been out of the side. He's scored some memorable goals too.

I see Queens have now got rid of their Commercial Manager on a full-time basis. :angry: If ever there was somewhere you wouldn't cut, then surely that is it? I really don't think that the BOD have a fecking clue to what they are doing, with all this negativity, there will be many a gate of under 800 and I'm the one to ken that. :blink:

I see Queens have now got rid of their Commercial Manager on a full-time basis. :angry: If ever there was somewhere you wouldn't cut, then surely that is it? I really don't think that the BOD have a fecking clue to what they are doing, with all this negativity, there will be many a gate of under 800 and I'm the one to ken that. :blink:

Was it his or the clubs decision?

Good luck to Burns in his SPL adventure, hopefully i will be able to watch him on some TV coverage.