The Queen of the South thread

:lol:

That was certainly the case last season. I would think he'd score goals in the 2nd though.

Not sure about Holmes. He's a bit of a lumbering lump but he does have ability on the ball and although he was never expected to be an out and out goalscorer for us, he did really well in his first season, the highlight being that "perfect" hat-trick up at Inverness. I think there were at least four other managers in the division who made it clear two seasons ago they would take him for their side in a heartbeat. However it just didn't happen for him last season. Missed a penalty on the opening league day and was dropped from duty taking those and in the end only managed what, two league goals all season, both of which were against Cowdenbeath. Initially even when not scoring he was still bringing lots to the team but I think after Xmas, whether down to playing with an injury (which he unquestionably was) or just loss of form, he wasn't adding a lot. I'd think if Weatherston hadn't also gotten himself injured we'd have seen the Weatherston / McMenamin combination used a lot more. Though certainly Holmes is much more a Brannigan player than Weatherston is.

He probably would still be very effective a season down but to be honest I suspect he might well still be effective at this level and I'm relatively surprised he hasn't been at least looked at by a bigger side than Airdrie.

Derek Holmes I am sure would be effective in the 2nd division. You like him or you hate him, he's like Marmite in that respect. I was never his greatest fan but he done a job for us. Can hold a ball up & has a good first touch. Just don't expect him to run about daft or jump! Can't be regarded as a prolific goalscorer, as SD has said above he had a decent return in his 1st season with us although it didn't happen last season.

All things considered I am surprised also that a bigger side than Airdrie hasn't looked at him.

All things considered I am surprised also that a bigger side than Airdrie hasn't looked at him.

On the contrary, I'm surprised that a team as big as Airdrie are looking at him!

In all seriousness, i reckon top half Division 2 is his level now.

Edited by Dougie Mills

Funny, because when I suggested last season that we should play McMenamin with Weatherston there were a number of people who said it wouldn't work.

I haven't bothered to research back but I suspect I was probably one of them. I'm not sure when you said it though? I think it was maybe not long after McMenamin arrived and certainly for me at that point Holmes was still a major contributor even if he wasn't scoring. He got steadily worse as the season wore on though. Also I've tended to believe that Weatherston was better out wide than he ever looked through the middle. I did change my mind a little in the last month or two of the season though when he had several decent outings as a striker and looked a good partner with McMenamin.

On the contrary, I'm surprised that a team as big as Airdrie are looking at him!

In all seriousness, i reckon top half Division 2 is his level now.

This sounds harsh, but I fear you're maybe right.

He does have real qualities and I was never one of those that's torn into him over the last season. He has a subtlety of touch which is not in-keeping with the Desperate Dan appearance, perhaps best illustrated by the deft lay-off for Conroy's winner at Raith last year.

However, teams cannot afford to employ (and field) front players who virtually never score goals. Of course there's more to the role than this, but two league goals - both against a relegated team - for a player who spent so long on the field is simply not good enough. Confidence was clearly a factor, but it got ridiculous at times. Against Stirling in February, he had the worst miss I've ever seen in the flesh - I watched Iwelumo's on TV - and his overall contribution diminished as the season dragged on too.

By all accounts, he's a nice guy and I was sorry to hear that he skipped the end of season lap of honour, because he's been so wounded by the slagging he's received. He could still be a valuable player for someone at this level, but he needs to add goalscoring on a remotely consitent basis to what he does, or he doesn't justify being picked.

Any team news ahead of the Gretna game on Tues.?

Expect there will be trialists but how many of the old guard will play?

You mean last year's squad? Presumably McKenzie, McKenna, Johnston and Carmichael will be involved. Reid has a cast on his hand so I've no idea if he'll be risked. I imagine he could play if he needed to but it's the first pre-season game so he may not. McGuffie and Weatherston have been training with us but not sure what state of play is with them. Don't know if one or both are the players MacPherson refers to as having been offered a deal and waiting an answer. I'd guess both may be involved though.

The interesting one is Harris. Has done some of pre-season with us and according to his Twitter was involved in a bounce game amongst the squad on Saturday so obviously still there at the moment. So far as I know no serious expectation of him actually re-signing for us though and I'd be surprised if he was used in fixtures. There's nothing really for MacPherson to gain from fielding players who have no chance of being here next season in friendlies. If Harris is involved I might suddenly get a whole lot more intrigued about where he'll end up. That said I don't know who we have to play left back if he isn't. I'm unsure who is still training with us but the signed players don't contain an obvious left back. Steven Black or James McGowan could presumably fill in there.

Has McGowan not signed for Ayr? Sure I read that somewhere.

Different player. There are two Michael McGowan's in lower league Scottish football. The one who has just signed for Ayr is the one who was here under Chisholm in 08/09. Ex Clyde and Alloa too, former N Ireland u21.

The one who was rumoured to be doing pre-season with us is the ex-Albion Rovers player. I've no idea though if there was any truth in the suggestion that either he or Strachan were training with us. They might have been, and might still be for all I know, but they weren't included in names I heard from official sources.

but they weren't included in names I heard from official sources.

Is there any chance you could give the names you heard from official sources? If you don't want to reveal names incase it alerts other clubs then fair enough but is there names there which haven't been mentioned on this forum?

Is there any chance you could give the names you heard from official sources? If you don't want to reveal names incase it alerts other clubs then fair enough but is there names there which haven't been mentioned on this forum?

No, I haven't heard of anyone training with us who hasn't already been posted on here at some point or another. I wouldn't say if I had anyway, it's not my place to do that, but it's irrelevant because I haven't heard anyone extra.

Are you ever tempted?

Let's not say never, there is still plenty of time to get some inspirational signings completed before the start of the new season. In fact, maybe some of the ones already signed up could be better than expected. I do however think we are all pinning too much hope on the youth players coming through.

Strachan is training with Queens. I walked by him in town the otherday about 3 o'clockish as he was walking away from the Green up towards the centre of town, he was carrying a big nike sports bag.

Sports socks, here yer sports socks, two furra pounda, two furra poun......

Strachan is training with Queens. I walked by him in town the otherday about 3 o'clockish as he was walking away from the Green up towards the centre of town, he was carrying a big nike sports bag.

That sums up the club at the present time, he is absolute shite , the only trial he should be having is in a court.