The Queen of the South thread

I wash my hands and take no responsibility for any of this! Definitely something screwy on your laptop :lol:

Presumably. The odd thing is that Stirling game isn't the last time the laptop was used. I had Live Updates running on it perfectly correctly for several games after that date. The last one would have been Raith away in the penultimate game. So it's not like that is the last thing that was on the laptop, it actually loaded those as the new updates. :blink:

The Gretna game worked the night before, so were they not there?

I've no idea whether the Gretna game would have shown up or not at the time. As said, we've had several fixtures since that Stirling one, a number of which I actually did the Live Updates for on that laptop, but it was that one that came up. Laptop hasn't been on since I went to a client with it at the beginning of June until last night.

Presumably. The odd thing is that Stirling game isn't the last time the laptop was used. I had Live Updates running on it perfectly correctly for several games after that date. The last one would have been Raith away in the penultimate game. So it's not like that is the last thing that was on the laptop, it actually loaded those as the new updates. :blink:

I've no idea whether the Gretna game would have shown up or not at the time. As said, we've had several fixtures since that Stirling one, a number of which I actually did the Live Updates for on that laptop, but it was that one that came up. Laptop hasn't been on since I went to a client with it at the beginning of June until last night.

gremlin_1.jpg

Dont feed them after midnight and, whatever you do, dont tell them who the trialists are ;)

Guest TOPFITTER

I was at the meeting and it was mentioned that another 6 trialists will be playing in a behind closed doors game which I think is tommorrow. He said all the trialists had sufficiently impressed against Gretna to be given further opportunities but given the quality of opposition would have to prove themselves against a better standard of opposition to win deals. He also said he is travelling down tommorow (I think to introduce a signing) so I guess that might be Chris Higgins being officially signed

Both Gus and Andy showed great passion and enthusiasm and even a little humour in the meeting and I feel the fans bought into what they said. One thing that concerned me was he didn't know the situation regarding last years u19s player contracts. Another negative was Andy Millen saying something along the lines of he would rather play a player who gave 100% in training from monday to friday than a wizzkid who shows great potential but may not be mentally ready.

How many were at the meeting ????

Guest TOPFITTER

Great stuff, hope this is the first such meeting of many. Events such as this if regularly held will build goodwill and hopefully dispell misinformation. :rolleyes:

the trialist goalkeeper was current scotland under 21 cap Michael Andrews who played on loan @ East Stirlingshire from Falkirk last season where i worked with him. He was on trial @ Caley Thistle but turned down a deal as he would have been 3rd choice, sitting in the stand every week and they were not going to loan him out so he could play as he wants to keep his place in the 21s squad.

He is hopeful of getting a deal @ Queens and pushing Roddy for the number 1 spot

Im not sure how you took what Andy said as a negative. He also talked, at length, about how damaging putting a kid in, whos not mentally ready, can be and how, any kid, no matter how good has to earn the right to a place and has to be good enough, mentally and physically as well as technically. I thought what he said made perfect sense. To be honest, what they both said about the young players was pretty much exactly what KB said - Gus and Andy just phrased it better.

The thing I would argue is how can you tell a kid is mentally ready until you throw him in at the deep end? Also the management team were saying all players get really affected by fans having a go at them so encouraged us to boo them instead as they can handle the criticism. I would argue that if "seasoned pros" cant handle this criticism then are they mentally ready?

The thing I would argue is how can you tell a kid is mentally ready until you throw him in at the deep end?

You work with them every day in training and look at how they respond to comments from you and other players, maybe?

Also the management team were saying all players get really affected by fans having a go at them so encouraged us to boo them instead as they can handle the criticism. I would argue that if "seasoned pros" cant handle this criticism then are they mentally ready?

I dont think thats what they meant. What they were saying was that the players will react better if the fans dont get on their back. They werent saying the players couldnt handle it, just that the fans supporting them, rather than criticising, will help them play better.

You work with them every day in training and look at how they respond to comments from you and other players, maybe?

I dont think thats what they meant. What they were saying was that the players will react better if the fans dont get on their back. They werent saying the players couldnt handle it, just that the fans supporting them, rather than criticising, will help them play better.

Why listen to the informed views of successive managers though?

"GIT THE YOUNG BOYS OAN!" :angry:

Now confirmed on the OS. Can't say I know anything about him, but he is another defender/defensive midfielder. Do we need him? I assume that means McGuffie won't be re-signing which is a shame.

Every time I have seen him play its been in an attacking midfield role. Much the same as Rocco or Stevie Tosh

Now confirmed on the OS. Can't say I know anything about him, but he is another defender/defensive midfielder. Do we need him? I assume that means McGuffie won't be re-signing which is a shame.

As I said on the squad thread, it's a slightly surprising signing. The squad will be thin enough without signing another version of McKenna and Simmons who already fll the central midfield role. Can't really see where the three are going to fit in the same team and that's before mentioning Johnston who played centrally last season but might play wider I suppose. And as you say, without McGuffie either, although I'd guess he's predominantly seen as a defender rather than a midfielder. I don't know if it means he's given up on McGuffie making his mind up or not.

As I said on the squad thread, it's a slightly surprising signing. The squad will be thin enough without signing another version of McKenna and Simmons who already fll the central midfield role. Can't really see where the three are going to fit in the same team and that's before mentioning Johnston who played centrally last season but might play wider I suppose. And as you say, without McGuffie either, although I'd guess he's predominantly seen as a defender rather than a midfielder. I don't know if it means he's given up on McGuffie making his mind up or not.

Simmons was an unpopular signing, and I too am now wondering where he fits in. Even if we factor in that McKenna will miss at least ten games next season due to suspension, and Johnston won't last a full season playing 90 minutes we do still seem a bit top-heavy in the centre of midfield. Ryan McCann training with us makes it even more baffling as I'm pretty sure he was back to his familiar midfield role with both Airdrie and Ayr since leaving us as a right-back. We surely don't need him in midfield as well, and I'd certainly rather McGuffie at right-back.

Am I right in saying I read somewhere that Gus is looking to build the squad one position at a time? Presumably he is now happy enough with the defence, and this signing is surely the last of the centre mids. What does this leave us needing filled? A couple of wingers, a striker and a goalkeeper? I can see us signing Brighton, which I would have no complaints about, and maybe Weatherston will get a deal (better the devil you know and all that).