The Queen of the South thread

I preferred Andy Thomson to Stephen Dobbie, but that's just my opinion. I liked Ted McMinn over Jimmy Robertson and John Dempster over Jimmy Donald. I do agree with some posters that Stephen Dobbie is much better than some of the shyte that has represented Scotland in the past.

In terms of ability and skill Thomson couldn't lace Dobbs boots, Remember we had a fairly unfit Dobbs aswell think what he would do now after he has applied himself so well.

The SPL is probably around the same level as the Championship (Celtic excepted) some teams aybe lower. Dobbie adds something different and is he any worse than Leigh Griffiths, Chris Iwelumo or Don Cowie?

The SPL is nowhere near the quality of The Championship. The SPL is possibly just on par with League 1. As for the exception of Celtic, I don't know why. They wouldn't get out of The Championship. Mid-table or possibly sneaking the play-offs. It's all well and good saying they beat Barca etc. but a one off game is very different to playing 2 games every week against good opposition.

My English team is Middlesbrough* and the first time I went down was a 1-1 draw with Swansea. It was fast free-flowing passing football, with very good quality. I thought it was a cracking game yet when I came out the fella I was with apologised for the quality of the game and I picked a poor game. It was far superior to ANYTHING I have watched in Scotland, and that was poor in his eyes! Sorry, but Scottish football is miles behind England and the SPL is of very mediocre quality compared to the rest of the world.

* Boro are a good example of why the SPL is so far off The Championship. The tube Strachan practically bought the SPL elite and Boro were almost relegated. Boyd scored around 160(?) in the SPL and yet couldn't hit a barn door in TC.

Edited by 19QOS19

The SPL is nowhere near the quality of The Championship. The SPL is possibly just on par with League 1. As for the exception of Celtic, I don't know why. They wouldn't get out of The Championship. Mid-table or possibly sneaking the play-offs. It's all well and good saying they beat Barca etc. but a one off game is very different to playing 2 games every week against good opposition.

My English team is Middlesbrough* and the first time I went down was a 1-1 draw with Swansea. It was fast free-flowing passing football, with very good quality. I thought it was a cracking game yet when I came out the fella I was with apologised for the quality of the game and I picked a poor game. It was far superior to ANYTHING I have watched in Scotland, and that was poor in his eyes! Sorry, but Scottish football is miles behind England and the SPL is of very mediocre quality compared to the rest of the world.

* Boro are a good example of why the SPL is so far off The Championship. The tube Strachan practically bought the SPL elite and Boro were almost relegated. Boyd scored around 160(?) in the SPL and yet couldn't hit a barn door in TC.

I stand corrected, I'm probably thinking of the pre setanta collapse SPL as I remember that quite well, who knows how they would do with more money to work with like the teams down south. The Championship teams are spending at unsustainable levels IMO, similar to the aforementioned period, not sure how long a lot of those teams can keep missing the premier league every year when you look at some of their wages they spend.

With brechin having so many games in hand at the moment, I think it's highly possible that we could end up winning the league midweek without actually playing. Hopefully I'm wrong!

I take your point, but Brechin haven't lost to anybody except us since 6 October. And that was a closely fought 1-0 at Palmerston.

In their 12 other games, they've won 10 and drawn 2.

I appreciate that playing two games a week might take its toll, but Brechin are more than capable of winning all of their 4 games in hand.

I take your point, but Brechin haven't lost to anybody except us since 6 October. And that was a closely fought 1-0 at Palmerston.

In their 12 other games, they've won 10 and drawn 2.

I appreciate that playing two games a week might take its toll, but Brechin are more than capable of winning all of their 4 games in hand.

I hope you're correct and they do indeed win all their games in hand. To win without kicking a ball, would take a slight edge off what has been an amazing season

Nothing much to get one's knickers in a twist about this time around, although one contributor who makes a pretty decent point about the lack of promotion of the Challenge Cup Final is dispatched with Robertson's customary disregard for anyone whose opinion differs from his own.

I'm disappointed the new PR person seemingly hasn't tried to exercise some sort of editorial control over the blog - anyone from the outside looking in at the OS must wonder WTF is going on at a club which continues to do its dirty washing in public. Robertson's clearly an adept man when it comes to commercial matters but PR will never be his forte.

Also, I still think Twitter would be a better forum than the OS for Directors vs fans tête-à-têtes. West Ham and QPR seem to have gone down that route, each with greater and/or lesser degrees of hilarity.

Nothing much to get one's knickers in a twist about this time around, although one contributor who makes a pretty decent point about the lack of promotion of the Challenge Cup Final is dispatched with Robertson's customary disregard for anyone whose opinion differs from his own.

I'm disappointed the new PR person seemingly hasn't tried to exercise some sort of editorial control over the blog - anyone from the outside looking in at the OS must wonder WTF is going on at a club which continues to do its dirty washing in public. Robertson's clearly an adept man when it comes to commercial matters but PR will never be his forte.

Also, I still think Twitter would be a better forum than the OS for Directors vs fans tête-à-têtes. West Ham and QPR seem to have gone down that route, each with greater and/or lesser degrees of hilarity.

Fair point, but would anybody care? I wouldn't log on to another club's website to read that kind of guff. Indeed, I wouldn't log on to another club's website at all, unless it was to check a game with us was on or something.

In all honesty what can they do to promote it?

We have sold a good amount of tickets without much publicity but it seems worse because Partick Thistle have a huge demand for them. The main problem is getting fans in Dumfries and surrounding areas to support us instead of the OF or English Premier league teams. We need some form of publicity when it comes to season tickets next year. From what I've heard Ross County seem to do a good job of making Dingwall and surrounding areas theirs.

Bet big Mark logs on to another website.

QOS mad or Follow Follow IMO

http://www.sunbedassociation.org.uk/m_newsletter.php

Edited by Sloop John B

Said it before, but the PR person is a volunteer for match days. The press have a far better experience when coming to Palmerston, which has led to the better (quantity not necessarily quality) coverage.

Agree the blog isn't always the best of public airings, but at least it exists. Small step forward, could still do better.

Brechin game now rescheduled for Tuesday 27th march

That should read WED 27th March with a 19.45 ko.

That gives us three hard games in a week, although the league will be over by then. Just hope we don't pick up any injuries on the run up to the cup final.

Edited by Hawk

Honestly , some folk would moan about anything. The only people that don't know we are in a final are those been hiding under a rock for six months or local old firm fanny's . None worth bothering about. On a closing note , thank goodness this board came in when they did . What state would the club be in if they didn't ?

Honestly , some folk would moan about anything. The only people that don't know we are in a final are those been hiding under a rock for six months or local old firm fanny's . None worth bothering about. On a closing note , thank goodness this board came in when they did . What state would the club be in if they didn't ?

Well said.

This board have done some things that many, myself included did not agree with, but in all the years I have supported Queens I have never before seen the club run in such a professional manner!