The Queen of the South thread

Looks like we'll sell all our 3300 tickets for the Ramsdens Cup Final .

Has to be said its a decent effort considering we only average about 1,500 home fans .

From that point of view yes, but when you consider the population of D n G it's f*ck*ng terrible. That's general across Scotland mind you :(

From that point of view yes, but when you consider the population of D n G it's f*ck*ng terrible. That's general across Scotland mind you :(

I reckon the lack of a proper rivalry works against us possible, when Gretna were about, it at least galvanised the support and made things interesting. If only Annan were any good...

I reckon the lack of a proper rivalry works against us possible, when Gretna were about, it at least galvanised the support and made things interesting. If only Annan were any good...

I have said that Gretna's demise was not helpful to us many times . It did galvanise our support and we miss 'that needle' or 'edge' if you like . We have no league game that our support gets up.for. Calling Stranraer a derby is a joke. They barely scrape two hundred fans together when we go there so there's your answer to Stranraer's interest in the game. It would be good if Annan improved but I won't hold my breath waiting . Having said all that , in Scottish terms we do have a decent support , not great but decent . A lot of clubs would like to be in our shoe's . Also find that most of our fans are very staunch indeed. My wife hates me getting stopped up the town every couple of minutes for some Qos chat.

I have said that Gretna's demise was not helpful to us many times . It did galvanise our support and we miss 'that needle' or 'edge' if you like . We have no league game that our support gets up.for. Calling Stranraer a derby is a joke. They barely scrape two hundred fans together when we go there so there's your answer to Stranraer's interest in the game. It would be good if Annan improved but I won't hold my breath waiting . Having said all that , in Scottish terms we do have a decent support , not great but decent . A lot of clubs would like to be in our shoe's . Also find that most of our fans are very staunch indeed. My wife hates me getting stopped up the town every couple of minutes for some Qos chat.

As I was at school at the time I loved the rivalry, the 3-0 win is almost up there with the cup semi final. I would be surprised if the support fell below the 1000 mark and in terms of away support we're pretty good especially if we're doing well. A derby game is not one that's 75 miles apart that's for certain we may as well be rivals with someone like Morton in that case. Queens fans seem quite different from other team's fans , self depreciating at times, pretty patient and on the whole knowledgeable.

I would agree that on the whole we have knowledgeable fans . A lot of posters on here seem self depreciating but thats not something I see face to face . I think some on here are a bit embarrased or ashamed we are doing so well. Certainly they don't seem comfortable with it. Perenial underdog tag suits them better .

I would agree that on the whole we have knowledgeable fans . A lot of posters on here seem self depreciating but thats not something I see face to face . I think some on here are a bit embarrased or ashamed we are doing so well. Certainly they don't seem comfortable with it. Perenial underdog tag suits them better .

We're used to being content with midtable or avoiding relegation considering how bad things were in the past at times .But in the last decade (last year being excluded) we've been very successful with cups and at top half finishes (something more ambitious teams could only dream of) and looking back probably should have done better with the squads we had. It's just unusual for expectations to be so high as they are at the moment.

<br /><br />From that point of view yes, but when you consider the population of D n G it's f*ck*ng terrible. That's general across Scotland mind you :(

Aye, but our region is a massive one, sparsely populated. For example, I know folks from Gretna who have never been to Stranraer - I don't think we can expect non-Dumfries folks to care about QoS, even if it is a cup final.

There are just a few exceptions.

Edited:because of my feucking iPhone

Edited by QoSStewartry

I think, in general, we are just a realistic bunch. I think we all realise our natural level is the middle of the 1st and the chances of us getting above that are slim. I'd rather it that way, where success is always a surprise, than the mindset morton fans seem to have, who are always disappointed (except this year).

I think, in general, we are just a realistic bunch. I think we all realise our natural level is the middle of the 1st and the chances of us getting above that are slim. I'd rather it that way, where success is always a surprise, than the mindset morton fans seem to have, who are always disappointed (except this year).

Then again the likes of Morton have had it rough so they probably expect things to go their way for once (and how much of that is just VT) I'm happy to be stable with Queens than a Dundee.

Then again the likes of Morton have had it rough so they probably expect things to go their way for once (and how much of that is just VT) I'm happy to be stable with Queens than a Dundee.

Possibly. Dundee are probably a better example for the widespread delusion. Although they are a bigger club who are used to more success.

Possibly. Dundee are probably a better example for the widespread delusion. Although they are a bigger club who are used to more success.

I always liked the Dens park chorus of Boos whenever they lost of didn't get a decision right. Aberdeen and the Edinburgh teams are probably the most delusional fans of their place in the world and like to trade off past glories (Aberdeen especially expecting every manager to be Sir Alex Ferguson when they've been mediocre for the best part of a decade) In terms of ownership, media scrutiny and fan expectations, Queens is probably one of the more stable jobs in Scottish Football, even Gus McPherson almost got an extension. We've only sacked two managers and let one leave since John Connolly got us promoted and a fair few have left to join other clubs which compared to the bloodbaths at other clubs isn't too bad

Edited by Sloop John B

Aye, but our region is a massive one, sparsely populated. For example, I know folks from Gretna who have never been to Stranraer - I don't think we can expect non-Dumfries folks to care about QoS, even if it is a cup final.

There are just a few exceptions.

Edited:because of my feucking iPhone

It is, but central Dumfries population is around 32K. Saying our average home support is around 1,500 then that's about 4% of the population attending. I shudder to think what the % would be if I compared it to the population of the entire region, but as you say it would be fairly pointless due to the scattering. 4% is shocking but probably not far off the norm if the same thing was done with every other Scottish team. Sad really that people would sooner go around wearing OF tops, having never seen the team play live, rather than go and see their local team. I'm probably more disappointed this season as it's about as good as it can get for QoS just now yet the Dumfries public still don't bother their arse's :thumbsdown

As I was at school at the time I loved the rivalry, the 3-0 win is almost up there with the cup semi final. I would be surprised if the support fell below the 1000 mark and in terms of away support we're pretty good especially if we're doing well. A derby game is not one that's 75 miles apart that's for certain we may as well be rivals with someone like Morton in that case. Queens fans seem quite different from other team's fans , self depreciating at times, pretty patient and on the whole knowledgeable.

That was one of my best away days. I won the hidden team on the TC bus and I was sat as close to the Gretna fans as was possible, so needless to say when we got our 3rd I was a bit like a crazed horse :lol:

Care to name names?

It is, but central Dumfries population is around 32K

Central dumfries? Ive always been a bit miffed as to what is classed as Dumfries. Reading results from the last census, heathhall, locharbriggs and cargenbridge are exuded in these figures. These included, which I do when talking about Dumfries take the figures to above 40k