The Queen of the South thread

Maradona was the best pal. I have seen them both . Messi couldn't take an ordinary team by the scruff of the neck and win them the World Cup . Diego Armando Maradona could . Proof is, ask anyone how many of Argentina 86 WC winning team they can name ? Without naming the obvious person what people would expect me to say was better than Dobs , Tommy Bryce was .

Burrachaga and Valdano were the two strikers for a start. :P And I always remember they had a centre back called Brown who had a Scots Grandfather.

Dobbie one of the best players that I have seen play for Queens.Do not think he will be that bothered about not being in the 25 he will now just have to go to the bank and check he has around 500,000 in there to live on.

Couldn't disagree more. I think he'll be very bothered. I don't really understand his exclusion from the list. I know the transfer was one agreed at the time of the loan from Brighton but he started the opening league game of the season and played in the League Cup tie at Bristol City too, although that was a virtual reserve side. He appeared to be in and around the team so to miss out on the 25 completely is odd. Did he pick up an injury in the Bristol game?

Without getting into a long debate about who is/was the best Queens player, or picking a best ever 11, I would agree that he was the best player with the ball at his feet who played in that position. My opinion for other "departments":

Goalie: Allan Ball; Defender: Mike Barker: Midfield; Chris Balderstone. It would be interesting to hear other peoples opinions. (Not really, I probably won't be ar**d to read them)

Saw Allan Ball play a few games at the back end of his career but don't recall either Barker or Baderstone playing for Queens.

For me:

Goalkeeper - Difficult one. On last year's form it could even be Lee Robinson though I was a big fan of Jamie MacDonald in his year and half here. I think I'd still go with Alan Davidson at his best though.

Defender - Also difficult. In terms of total contribution I'm tempted to say Jim Thomson. Clearly the likes of Robbie Neilson were better players but in a much shorter spell. Bob Harris would be a candidate too.

Midfield - i think I'd go for Stevie Tosh So much ability, I wish he'd been here a few years earlier. When he and Dobbie were in the same team we had a couple of remarkable players.

Forward - Clearly Dobbie for me. best player I've personally seen in a Queens shirt.

Burrachaga and Valdano were the two strikers for a start. :P And I always remember they had a centre back called Brown who had a Scots Grandfather.

Was Brown not of Irish descent? He scored the first goal in the final. In fact, in your post, you've identified the three Argentinian scorers in the final.

JR's right though. Maradona dragged an otherwise unremarkable team to victory. He also transformed Napoli when there.

JR's hopelessly wrong in putting Bryce ahead of Dobbie though, good as the former was.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Was Brown not of Irish descent? He scored the first goal in the final. In fact, in your post, you've identified the three Argentinian scorers in the final.

JR's right though. Maradona dragged an otherwise unremarkable team to victory. He also transformed Napoli when there.

JR's hopelessly wrong in putting Bryce ahead of Dobbie though, good as the latter was.

Could be right about Brown. Just remember being intrigued by the name amongst the Spanish sounding ones. He's right about how good Maradona was of course, just pointing out that Argentina had some other memorable players in that side.

Couldn't disagree more. I think he'll be very bothered. I don't really understand his exclusion from the list. I know the transfer was one agreed at the time of the loan from Brighton but he started the opening league game of the season and played in the League Cup tie at Bristol City too, although that was a virtual reserve side. He appeared to be in and around the team so to miss out on the 25 completely is odd. Did he pick up an injury in the Bristol game?

He was fit enough to be on the bench against Sunderland so it seems so hard to imagine he had a significant injury.

Messi is undoubtedly a great player in the present days game, but I don't think he would have lasted 5 minutes back in the days when defenders were allowed to "tackle". ("The good old days" as many of us fondly recall it).

As far as Queens are concerned "JRSLEFTPEG"'s obvious hero was also a great player and crowd pleaser.

(When he was in the right frame of mind, which sometimes I recall, he was not)

It's pretty obvious that picking favourite players is very much a generational thing, the more you've seen the more choice you have, It's probably pointless but there's no harm in trying.

Maradona was the best pal. I have seen them both . Messi couldn't take an ordinary team by the scruff of the neck and win them the World Cup . Diego Armando Maradona could . Proof is, ask anyone how many of Argentina 86 WC winning team they can name ? Without naming the obvious person what people would expect me to say was better than Dobs , Tommy Bryce was .

Bryce was an excellent player for us. That said in his final season Dobbie was virtually unstoppable in many games. Dobbie the best in my 40+ years of watching QOS.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

He was fit enough to be on the bench against Sunderland so it seems so hard to imagine he had a significant injury.

Clearly not then, I'm fairly mystified about this. I know Palace signed about five players on deadline day but for a guy who was in their stripped squad for every game this season (or at least nearly every game) not to have even made the 25 man squad seems odd. He's not alone either. I see Wilbraham who started the opening game up front didn't get in either. Holloway seems to have made some picks out of left field here.

Can only assume as someone mentioned above then that he'll go out on loan to the Championship until January at least.

Well done with the other two which I would expect someone of your calibre to get but the only reason you remember Brown is because its a very unusual Spanish/Argentinian name .

Well done with the other two which I would expect someone of your calibre to get but the only reason you remember Brown is because its a very unusual Spanish/Argentinian name .

The keeper Pumpido and Daniel Passarella spring to mind. Mind you I remember the keeper only because of his mildly amusing name.

The keeper Pumpido and Daniel Passarella spring to mind. Mind you I remember the keeper only because of his mildly amusing name.

I remember Nery Pumpido now you mention him but I wouldn't have got him without prompting. I nearly mentioned Daniel Passarella in the previous post but wasn't absolutely sure he'd played in 86 so left him out. He definitely played in 78. Was there not a Daniel Ortiz also or was he 78?

I remember Nery Pumpido now you mention him but I wouldn't have got him without prompting. I nearly mentioned Daniel Passarella in the previous post but wasn't absolutely sure he'd played in 86 so left him out. He definitely played in 78. Was there not a Daniel Ortiz also or was he 78?

Have just read Maradona's very entertaining autobiography. Passarella did not play in 86 WC and there was a total breakdown in the relationship between DM and DP. This was due to DP openly slating DM lifestyle while apparently bragging about and sleeping with a top European player's ( of eighties era ) wife . Diego used to idolise him but took offence to Passarella's selective principles. Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

I am too young to have seen Maradonna play, but I will happily go on record that Messi is the best player to walk the earth. Football has improved dramatically in the last 15 or so years I can remember so on that I will happily say we have had none better than Dobbie.

Yes son..absolutely (whatever the f**k you were talking about)...in your short lifetime so far..Lionnel Messi is undoubtedly the most gifted footballer you have probably witnessed (either live or TV)...I have seen several...Pele/Puskas/Cruyff/Best/.....and I have to say...the Messi kid is the closest I've seen to rolling them all into one...i.e. The Perfect Footballer.

Maradona was obviously incredible at '86,k but other than Passarela, Burruchaga, Valdano and Diego, virtually there entire squad played in South America, an area that the entire commentary team had no knowledge of. The Argentina team of '86 weren't just a 1 man team.

Believe me mate , they were very ordinary but he wasn't . Look up any highlights 86 WC dvd or on t'internet. I am guessing by your user name that you were only 8 at the time and won't remember much of Mexico 86.