The Queen of the South thread

But the Club is, or should be, based in Dumfries. Maybe someone with higher connections than me can ask the Chairman why it is not part of the Manager's job description that he is based locally.

We almost certainly wouldnt have had AJ as manager if it was. Cant say I see why it should be. Surely we want the best person (people if you include the players) for the job irrespective of where they live.

Ive worked with directors who commuted from Glasgow to the Borders and worked alongside people who commuted from Carlisle to the Borders. My current boss commutes from Glasgow to Dumfries every day

I don't care where we train as long as results on the pitch are good. However, you would hope that the management and the players would take some personal responsibility here. Double sessions would be the first thing I would expect them to be volunteering for until things started to pick up.

Train, train and train again until they get it right.

This. Absolutely no-one raised this as an issue last season.

We almost certainly wouldnt have had AJ as manager if it was. Cant say I see why it should be. Surely we want the best person (people if you include the players) for the job irrespective of where they live.

Ive worked with directors who commuted from Glasgow to the Borders and worked alongside people who commuted from Carlisle to the Borders. My current boss commutes from Glasgow to Dumfries every day

This. Absolutely no-one raised this as an issue last season.

So you obviously don't have any objections with people commuting to their place of work so why should Central Belt based players and Management not be expected to travel to to their home base which is Palmerston Park.

Perhaps your boss can offer some of the players a lift down to Dumfries seeing as he's coming this way.

As for the training set-up last season, we did not have the facility that we do now at Palmerston. Add to that the future opening of the indoor facility at the old Tesco and various grass pitches around the town there is no reason, apart from pandering to the Central Belt residents, why training has to be anywhere other than Dumfries.

I'd be interested to know the reasoning why you think Alan Johnston would not have taken the job if training was based in Dumfries. Did he or any of those close to him tell you this, or is it supposition.

So you obviously don't have any objections with people commuting to their place of work so why should Central Belt based players and Management not be expected to travel to to their home base which is Palmerston Park.

Simple competition. Training in Dumfries will make it harder to attract players from the central belt, as the easier option for them will be to train with a club based there.

Perhaps your boss can offer some of the players a lift down to Dumfries seeing as he's coming this way.

He is a she

As for the training set-up last season, we did not have the facility that we do now at Palmerston. Add to that the future opening of the indoor facility at the old Tesco and various grass pitches around the town there is no reason, apart from pandering to the Central Belt residents, why training has to be anywhere other than Dumfries.

The improved facilities is a fair point, and it does remove one of the arguments for training outside Dumfries. Id still say the competition form other clubs is a bigger factor

I'd be interested to know the reasoning why you think Alan Johnston would not have taken the job if training was based in Dumfries. Did he or any of those close to him tell you this, or is it supposition.

Pure supposition. But why would he, or anyone else, relocate their family to Dumfries for a one year contract? If thats the kind of thing you think the club should insist on then all you're doing is putting up barriers to getting the best people in. What exactly is the benefit?

Wasn't a problem training in Glasgow under Magic. It's the person overseeing the training that is the issue. Man couldn't run a bath let alone a training session.

So I take it you have been present at some training sessions and studied his training methods to form this opinion or is it yet again another dig at the Manager which is not based on actual fact or knowledge.

How is that what even remotely what Im saying?
Well, we have the facilities here now and are a Dumfries team. Why should ten locals travel 80 miles back and forth to training when they could work out here on a state of the art surface ( that they have not mastered ) Practise on the surface that you play 50 per cent of you games on makes perfect sense to me . If the central belt players are not happy with it then tell them to get stuffed because plenty others will be.

Simple competition. Training in Dumfries will make it harder to attract players from the central belt, as the easier option for them will be to train with a club based there.

He is a she

The improved facilities is a fair point, and it does remove one of the arguments for training outside Dumfries. Id still say the competition form other clubs is a bigger factor

Pure supposition. But why would he, or anyone else, relocate their family to Dumfries for a one year contract? If thats the kind of thing you think the club should insist on then all you're doing is putting up barriers to getting the best people in. What exactly is the benefit?

I probably must concede the point regarding the Manager relocating to Dumfries if it greatly affects his family especially in the modern climate of offering shorter term contracts. It would not suit every candidate but should be a consideration if circumstances allow. Mr. Connelly was probably outwith easy commuting distance to Dumfries when he got the job and as a friend of the then Chairman possibly thought he was here for the long haul so decided to buy, or was offered, a house locally. That does not however mean that training cannot be at Dumfries considering the number of "locals" who have to travel to the Central Belt. If you sign for a Dumfries Club you must expect most of your work to be done in Dumfries. As I stated in an earlier post as a compromise the team could train 2 days in Dumfries and 2 days somewhere else. We need to get better acclimatised to the new Palmerston surface if it is to give us an advantage. Training should not be thought of as somewhere for players to pass the time for a couple of hours in the morning. We all want the team to do a lot better and if it takes extra training sessions to achieve that then the players and coaches should at least be considering it, and the Board demanding it.

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

Well, we have the facilities here now and are a Dumfries team. Why should ten locals travel 80 miles back and forth to training when they could work out here on a state of the art surface ( that they have not mastered ) Practise on the surface that you play 50 per cent of you games on makes perfect sense to me . If the central belt players are not happy with it then tell them to get stuffed because plenty others will be.

Really?

If the club decide to move training because its the right thing for the club, then so be it. Moving training just because a bunch of players from Dumfries have to travel to Glasgow is not a good enough reason, in my opinion - especially when they all knew this would be the case when they signed.

What other benefits are there, other than becoming more familiar with the Palmerston pitch?

I probably must concede the point regarding the Manager relocating to Dumfries if it greatly affects his family especially in the modern climate of offering shorter term contracts. It would not suit every candidate but should be a consideration if circumstances allow. Mr. Connelly was probably outwith easy commuting distance to Dumfries when he got the job and as a friend of the then Chairman possibly thought he was here for the long haul so decided to buy, or was offered, a house locally. That does not however mean that training cannot be at Dumfries considering the number of "locals" who have to travel to the Central Belt. If you sign for a Dumfries Club you must expect most of your work to be done in Dumfries. As I stated in an earlier post as a compromise the team could train 2 days in Dumfries and 2 days somewhere else. We need to get better acclimatised to the new Palmerston surface if it is to give us an advantage. Training should not be thought of as somewhere for players to pass the time for a couple of hours in the morning. We all want the team to do a lot better and if it takes extra training sessions to achieve that then the players and coaches should at least be considering it.

That only applies, though, if it is the case when the player signs. What benefit is there of asking the majority of first team players to suddenly start training in Dumfries, when they signed a contract on the understanding they would train in Glasgow?

As I said, in reply to JR, if the club decides training in Dumfries is the best thing for the club then Ive no objection to it, but it would have to be done for better reasons than simply the convenience of the Dumfries players.

Really?

If the club decide to move training because its the right thing for the club, then so be it. Moving training just because a bunch of players from Dumfries have to travel to Glasgow is not a good enough reason, in my opinion - especially when they all knew this would be the case when they signed.

What other benefits are there, other than becoming more familiar with the Palmerston pitch?

Really?

A bloody good benefit that would be seen as some of them look like they are trying to control a kids balloon bouncing at them. Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Really?

There were a lot of things that many players would not know when they signed their contracts, such as the manager at the time was going to leave and they were bound by their contracts irrespective of who was brought in and what decisions the new manager would make regarding such things training facilities and regime. We would also, I presume, save on the hire of facilities in Cumbernauld or wherever it is. when presumably we can use our own for free. It was also the Chairman's stated wish to see training centred in Dumfries EVENTUALLY, so obviously the BOD are inclined that way. If the existing playing staff from the Central Belt decided that they did not want to accept travelling to Dumfries and thought of leaving, where would they go. Not many clubs are recruiting and there are plenty of good part time players looking to go full time who could take their place. If the players really thought about the situation they would realise IMO that even having to travel to Dumfries, they would be on a cushy number compared to people who have to do more hours for less money in "real jobs.".

So I take it you have been present at some training sessions and studied his training methods to form this opinion or is it yet again another dig at the Manager which is not based on actual fact or knowledge.

I don't think I need to be to form this opinion. Training for two hours by the time the guys warm up not a lot can actually be covered. Especially our mistakes which we keep making over and over again. Maybe if he had us in for a reasonable amount of time things would improve maybe not but I think it would.

I don't know how long the other teams or how long we trained for last year. I'd like to see us train down here all the time but the reality of Scottish football is that almost every player is based in the central belt. We probably wouldn't have had some of the talented players like Dobbie, Harris, Durnan and the like if we trained in Dumfries full time.

You look at Inverness and Ross County who are even more geographically isolated, don't have the history of Aberdeen and have very few Scottish players so depend on good scouting links abroad or down south/Ireland. Ross County's group of Scottish players when they got to the cup final and then promoted have almost all left to play at other SPL sides and I'd imagine that travelling to Dingwall would be one of the reasons for some of them leaving.

A bloody good benefit that would be seen as some of them look like they are trying to control a kids balloon bouncing at them.

Cant say Ive noticed that any more at home games than away

There were a lot of things that many players would not know when they signed their contracts, such as the manager at the time was going to leave and they were bound by their contracts irrespective of who was brought in and what decisions the new manager would make regarding such things training facilities and regime. We would also, I presume, save on the hire of facilities in Cumbernauld or wherever it is. when presumably we can use our own for free. It was also the Chairman's stated wish to see training centred in Dumfries EVENTUALLY, so obviously the BOD are inclined that way. If the existing playing staff from the Central Belt decided that they did not want to accept travelling to Dumfries and thought of leaving, where would they go. Not many clubs are recruiting and there are plenty of good part time players looking to go full time who could take their place. If the players really thought about the situation they would realise IMO that even having to travel to Dumfries, they would be on a cushy number compared to people who have to do more hours for less money in "real jobs.".

Im not sure about football contracts but employment contracts stipulate a place of work. They dont, generally, stipulate then name of your boss. You're quite right they would have nowhere else to go, while under contract, but its hardly a great motivational tool is it?

The bit in bold - do you have evidence of this? Much like JRs claim, it seems to be based on hope rather than any actual evidence.

Edited by Mr X

Whilst I can see the emotional pull of training full time in Dumfries, I don't think it's a pragmatic approach in these days.

It'sall very well saying the Dumfries players have to travel up but how many times over the years are most of the players local?

OK we have some just now but last time I remember a good % of the team being local was mid 80's with Stewart Cochrane, Kevin Hetherington, Graeme Robertson etc. Often we have had no local players.

The fans have a strong emotional attachment to the club, players by and large don't and will do what is easiest for them. The better ones, the ones we should be trying to sign will have more options than just Queens.

It's not just an issue for Queens. There are clubs from all over the country who train at Toryglen and elsewhere in the central belt.