The Queen of the South thread

I was going to give this match a body swerve as such games are usually only glorified training sessions but a late change of heart and the desire to see the new playing surface and Queens playing against a side promoted to the English Championship saw me forking out a tenner at ten to three. It was only after I had parted with my hard-earned that I found out that Rotherham were fielding their "Development" side. I was thinking I should have stuck to my original decision not to bother. To be fair it was a decent enough match and the Rotherham lads looked dangerous in the early stages but Queens proved to be far too strong over the piece. As for the new surface, honestly wasn't greatly impressed by its appearance. Obviously better than last season's but it still doesn't look as good as Falkirk's or Forfar's. It seems to be ok to play on and maybe is not quite bedded in yet but first impressions were disappointing. Anyway the football starts in earnest next Saturday so let's hope that Queens can carry their pre-season winning run into the proper matches.

COME ON YOU QUEENS

Yet another example of the complete contempt in which the fans are held by many in football. Not Queens fault here, but a disgraceful way for Rotherham to treat both sets of fans and completely disrespectful to the club, for whom, as has already been said, this was their last pre-season match. I travelled down from Edinburgh early in the morning and it was only during lunch in Dumfries that I discovered Queens would be playing against a youth team. No point not going after travelling, but had I known in advance I'd have spared myself the time and expense. To send the entire first team squad home after the Falkirk game shows breathtaking levels of arrogance and condescension. No one expects any team to play 2 games in 2 successive days during the season, but with the level of squad rotation typical in friendlies it would have been perfectly possible to have given the majority of the first team one half on Friday and one half on Saturday afternoon. To send for the youth team and have absolutely no first team players in attendance was quite simply an insult to all concerned.

As for the game: for the first half of the first half I thought Queens were dreadful. The opening goal was as soft as you'll ever see and for the next 20 mins or so Queens seemed determined to squander possession in dangerous areas with a series of misjudged passes straight to the opposition . The centre backs were particularly culpable but the midfield were guilty too. Had we being playing Rotherham's first team we'd doubtless have been punished further. For Rotherham the number 11 was skilful and caused some problems early on. Thankfully Queens began to lose their nerves and we got into the game as the half progressed, eventually taking control.

The second half display by Queens was excellent I thought. We really upped the tempo and started to play some great stuff. The passing was much more assured and we looked confident and dangerous every time we attacked. I don't think Rotherham were that bad, but Queens tore them apart at will in the 2nd period. Some of the young subs did well when they came on. If we play like we did in the first 25 mins It will be a long, hard season, but I saw enough in the 2nd half to think we are capable of doing quite well.

Edited by Frankie S

Why exactly did the Queens management agree to this game? Surely there was never the remotest possibility that Rotherham United would have played a full team with this schedule. Absolute madness. :oops

Why is this QOS' fault? It's not up to them to check the schedule of the opposition prior to agreeing to the game. The fault here is squarely with Rotherham. It doesn't take a genius to work out that, unless you have a squad of about 25 players, that playing two games in two days is going to be tough.

Complete and utter contempt and disrespect shown by the Rotherham management towards QOS and both sets of fans.

Why is this QOS' fault? It's not up to them to check the schedule of the opposition prior to agreeing to the game. The fault here is squarely with Rotherham. It doesn't take a genius to work out that, unless you have a squad of about 25 players, that playing two games in two days is going to be tough.

Complete and utter contempt and disrespect shown by the Rotherham management towards QOS and both sets of fans.

Queens knew that Rotherham United were playing both Friday and Saturday games, that is why their game was orginally scheduled to be played on a Sunday. Even if the Livingston game had not been cancelled, there was still no chance of a decent team being fielded by them. Still, it is what it is.

We played the Annan Tournament for years with two games in 24 hrs without anyone batting an eyelid about it.

I'm not a fan of pre-season friendlies. If the World Cup hadn't given me my fitba fix, I would have travelled my usual home game 150 miles for this. While I was happy to do so for Burnsy's testimonial, this mis-match did not do what had been stated on the tin. If SD is correct - and I am sure he is- about how this came about, I hope the QoS board have expressed its displeasure and that is the last time Rotherham is invited to Palmerston.

At a time when clubs are desperate to get fans into grounds, a 5-1 home victory should have done the trick but not on this occasion.

Yet another example of the complete contempt in which the fans are held by many in football. Not Queens fault here, but a disgraceful way for Rotherham to treat both sets of fans and completely disrespectful to the club, for whom, as has already been said, this was their last pre-season match. I travelled down from Edinburgh early in the morning and it was only during lunch in Dumfries that I discovered Queens would be playing against a youth team. No point not going after travelling, but had I known in advance I'd have spared myself the time and expense. To send the entire first team squad home after the Falkirk game shows breathtaking levels of arrogance and condescension. No one expects any team to play 2 games in 2 successive days during the season, but with the level of squad rotation typical in friendlies it would have been perfectly possible to have given the majority of the first team one half on Friday and one half on Saturday afternoon. To send for the youth team and have absolutely no first team players in attendance was quite simply an insult to all concerned.

As for the game: for the first half of the first half I thought Queens were dreadful. The opening goal was as soft as you'll ever see and for the next 20 mins or so Queens seemed determined to squander possession in dangerous areas with a series of misjudged passes straight to the opposition . The centre backs were particularly culpable but the midfield were guilty too. Had we being playing Rotherham's first team we'd doubtless have been punished further. For Rotherham the number 11 was skilful and caused some problems early on. Thankfully Queens began to lose their nerves and we got into the game as the half progressed, eventually taking control.

The second half display by Queens was excellent I thought. We really upped the tempo and started to play some great stuff. The passing was much more assured and we looked confident and dangerous every time we attacked. I don't think Rotherham were that bad, but Queens tore them apart at will in the 2nd period. Some of the young subs did well when they came on. If we play like we did in the first 25 mins It will be a long, hard season, but I saw enough in the 2nd half to think we are capable of doing quite well.

They must have stayed over Friday night, as originally planned, as they were at Scotch Corner at about 3pm Saturday

And as you say down below, all your posts are indeed bull-shit :)

What's the score with expenses for games such as this? Are Rotherham due appearance money or a share of the gate (which won't be a fortune with only about 600 odd there)? Surely there should be some sort of guarantee of the level of opposition that we will be playing when these type of games are arranged. Of course the main criteria of pre-season games is to help fitness and find out which parts of the team may need worked on. Yesterday's game served the first purpose but it would be difficult to judge your strengths and weaknesses against poor opposition.

Just about what I would have said.

As for the game it's just as well we were playing their development squad and that they tired as we were awful in the first half. At home in a friendly and McIntyre is playing one up top. Really hope he isn't contemplating playing that system this season, does he not remember how the last one started?

Just about what I would have said.

As for the game it's just as well we were playing their development squad and that they tired as we were awful in the first half. At home in a friendly and McIntyre is playing one up top. Really hope he isn't contemplating playing that system this season, does he not remember how the last one started?

Although Baird might have started the game as a lone striker, I thought his link up play in the game was pretty good. His movement and awareness to get into the 'right' positions on several occasions was also good to see. As a proven goalscorer, I certainly expect him to be amongst the goals for Queens this season. Difficult to judge just how good he could be based on playing against yesterday's opponents, but his talent for finding the back of the net on a regular basis throughout his career will be a big bonus for Queens