The Queen of the South thread

I expect a backlash but I'll post my thoughts anyway. There's no doubt in his time at Queens Dobbie was something special, yet since then wherever he's gone he's made little impact and been loaned out early. Yes he was playing at a higher level but why was he not cutting it at these clubs, was it all down to fitness?Millar reminds me so much of him.

Blasphemy!

And let's not forget he was picked for swansea's first prem game that season away to man city. Think the pace of the players he was up against was probably the reason he didn't quite hit the heights at that level. His brain made up for his lack of raw pace but at that level it wasn't quite enough.

Dobbies limited athleticism meant his impact down South was only going to be in fits and starts which is precisely what has happened. Harsh for those that revere him but true.

Edited by JrsLeftPeg

Dobbies limited athleticism meant his impact down South was only going to be in fits and starts which is precisely what has happened. Harsh for those that revere him but true.

Hey what happened to the avatar JR - suddenly no cigar?

And how come you've got fewer than 150 posts?

Have you undergone some sort of re-birth? What have I missed here?

I'd agree with all of that. He's had a huge impact at second tier level down south. As you say though, he's probably lacked the necessary athleticism to get a serious run at the next rung. The decline in fortunes seems to have been steep this season however. From starting a league match at White Hart lane to apparently being out of the picture at Fleetwood, it's changed quickly. What's the story been exactly?

Graham Alexander seems to lie the blame at a "lack of chemistry" and Dobbie struggling in a lone-striker role.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/fleetwood-town/chemistry-wrong-in-town-s-dobbie-deal-1-7244249

Graham Alexander seems to lie the blame at a "lack of chemistry" and Dobbie struggling in a lone-striker role.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/fleetwood-town/chemistry-wrong-in-town-s-dobbie-deal-1-7244249

If the aim was to play him as a lone striker then Dobbie was a poor signing.

Surprised they didn`t sign Stewart Kean instead if such a role was the intention :P

I'd agree with all of that. He's had a huge impact at second tier level down south.

As you say though, he's probably lacked the necessary athleticism to get a serious run at the next rung.

The decline in fortunes seems to have been steep this season however.

From starting a league match at White Hart lane to apparently being out of the picture at Fleetwood, it's changed quickly.

What's the story been exactly?

As someone who revered Dobbie during his time at Queens, and has followed his career closely since he departed. I'd dispute that he's had a 'huge impact at second tier level down south.' He has been intermittently effective, acquiring a talismanic reputation in play-offs particularly, but for a player of his ability (and he was being touted by some for a Scotland call up at one stage) his career has been disappointingly erratic since he left Palmerston. He hasn't really had a sustained, prolific season anywhere, though he had good spells at Swansea and Blackpool particularly. Has he hit double figures in any league campaign since his departure from Palmerston? I suspect not. He was clearly not cut out for the Premiership, but if he was a hugely effective player at second tier level on anything like a consistent basis, he wouldn't have been loaned out so often by teams of the stature of Brighton and Crystal Palace. To some extent it illustrates the huge chasm between the English upper echelons and the Scottish second tier, as Dobbie looked like a world-beater at our level, but I suspect, as others have hinted, that Dobbie's specific limitations, including relative lack of pace, have contributed. Nonetheless, I am sure that Dobbie could still do a decent job for someone in the SPL.

In the course of supporting Queens over the last 45 years or so, I've seen precisely two players at Palmerston (the mercurial Ted McMinn being the opposite, a player that I didn't really rate that went on to better things) that I thought had the ability to cut it at a decent level down south - Andy Thomson and Dobbie (Chris Doig also did ok in England, but only had the briefest career at Palmerston). Neither Thomson or Dobbie quite hit the heights that I'd hoped they might, but both carved out useful careers in England. A testament to just how difficult it is to translate success at second tier level or lower (Thomson generally played in the third tier) in Scotland to an English context. It does surprise me when I see limited players of more recent vintage, who clearly couldn't hold a candle to Thomson and Dobbie, touted for moves to the English Championship. It's an unforgiving destination for any but the best.

Edited by Frankie S

As someone who revered Dobbie during his time at Queens, and has followed his career closely since he departed. I'd dispute that he's had a 'huge impact at second tier level down south.' He has been intermittently effective, acquiring a talismanic reputation in play-offs particularly, but for a player of his ability (and he was being touted by some for a Scotland call up at one stage) his career has been disappointingly erratic since he left Palmerston. He hasn't really had a sustained, prolific season anywhere, though he had good spells at Swansea and Blackpool particularly. Has he hit double figures in any league campaign since his departure from Palmerston? I suspect not. He was clearly not cut out for the Premiership, but if he was a hugely effective player at second tier level on anything like a consistent basis, he wouldn't have been loaned out so often by teams of the stature of Brighton and Crystal Palace. To some extent it illustrates the huge chasm between the English upper echelons and the Scottish second tier, as Dobbie looked like a world-beater at our level, but I suspect, as others have hinted, that Dobbie's specific limitations, including relative lack of pace, have contributed. Nonetheless, I am sure that Dobbie could still do a decent job for someone in the SPL.

In the course of supporting Queens over the last 45 years or so, I've seen precisely two players at Palmerston (the mercurial Ted McMinn being the opposite, a player that I didn't really rate that went on to better things) that I thought had the ability to cut it at a decent level down south - Andy Thomson and Dobbie (Chris Doig also did ok in England, but only had the briefest career at Palmerston). Neither Thomson or Dobbie quite hit the heights that I'd hoped they might, but both carved out useful careers in England. A testament to just how difficult it is to translate success at second tier level or lower (Thomson generally played in the third tier) in Scotland to an English context. It does surprise me when I see limited players of more recent vintage, who clearly couldn't hold a candle to Thomson and Dobbie, touted for moves to the English Championship. It's an unforgiving destination for any but the best.

Think it is impossible to gauge the difference in quality between the English and Scottish leagues using examples of players. There are guys who have flourished at a so called higher level down in England but been pish up here. Just depends on how a team plays and what system they use. A prime example is Alexei Eremenko at passing teams looks like a world beater, but when the ball sails over his head constantly he may aswell not be there.

I'd add Holt to the list of those who could do a job down South. I've been saying for years he reminds me a lot in stature and style of Craig Forsyth who played against us for Dundee for several years. Whilst not yet making it to the Premiership, Forsyth has done well down South, played pretty much every week for a Derby side who topped the table for much of the season and only dropped out of the playoffs in the final week after a late collapse and has been in the Scotland squad this season.

Agree with all you say about Dobbie but given he made the Playoff final 4 successive years from 2010 to 2013, winning three of them (albeit not playing in the last one as his loan ran out before it) I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for MT to say he had a 'huge impact at second tier level'. His bursts of form undeniably did tend to be 2 or 3 months at best at the back end of each season though. His best one was probably the Swansea promotion and it did appear as if he went into next season as a first choice player as he started their opening league game at Manchester City. They did well after he lost his place though and he never got back in except when they played a shadow side v Tottenham over the festive period at one point. To an extent he was probably a bit unlucky there.

Hope so

Add me too . Paton has all the ability you can imagine but a Steve Bowey blood transfusion wouldn't go amiss This guy could and should do a lot better but I have major doubts he ever will Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

I sense a not too fussed attitude amongst most Queens fans re McShane's departure and that's sums up my thoughts

Don't imagine he'll be that fussed what some folk think. Will he sink or swim, good luck to the lad.

Find it strange that two clubs have announced there signing our players on there official sites but our own club fails to announce anything.

Not even to thank the players leaving.

We may be pushing for top league on the field but are very much non-league with regards to keep fans up to date.

Very much out of touch with supporters or are we just customers these days

Three players are confirmed as leaving, although technically none of them have actually left. Two are at the end of contract and, as has been said on here before, the club doesnt announce anything when those players leave

Its a pretty big leap to not announcing one player transferring to another club to being "non-league" and "out of touch with supporters"

Find it strange that two clubs have announced there signing our players on there official sites but our own club fails to announce anything.

Not even to thank the players leaving.

We may be pushing for top league on the field but are very much non-league with regards to keep fans up to date.

Very much out of touch with supporters or are we just PAYING customers these days

FTFY.

If the aim was to play him as a lone striker then Dobbie was a poor signing.

Surprised they didn`t sign Stewart Kean instead if such a role was the intention :P

Stewart Kean jesus we really were that bad .Headless chicken is being kind ...........very kind .