The Queen of the South thread

He started 3 games and didnt really do very much, certainly not enough to justify starting him ahead of Smith or Hilson.

The fact that we spent money on him is totally irrelevant

The lad scored for fun in pre season with hearts but maybe championship is his level but we will never no at moment as he seems to be out of favour without hardly kicking a ball

The lad scored for fun in pre season with hearts but maybe championship is his level but we will never no at moment as he seems to be out of favour without hardly kicking a ball

Why didnt Hearts keep him then?

There have been 8 games since he signed. He's started 3 and came on as a sub in another 3. How is that, hardly kicking a ball?

Playing someone just because we paid money for them is one of the most ridiculous things Ive ever heard

It is alarming to think that players are barely working for any longer on the game than they'd be able to, if part-time.

I'm always a wee bit suspicious however, of the claims that training time is so limited. It wouldn't mean that the situation was necessary the problem of course, but it might point to a pretty lax regime.

I'm not convinced that such claims will necessarily be entirely accurate though.

I'm also a little suspicious of claims that the players aren't trying. I'd imagine that they are. I suspect however that they're low on confidence, which maybe means that a lack of conviction, as opposed to commitment, is evident.

I also suspect that for too many of those we're currently fielding, they're simply not very good, in terms of the level they're required to compete at.

Either way, it's not a terribly encouraging picture and it's not that easy to envisage radical improvement.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Effort equates to doing everything you can to score and doing everything you can to prevent the opposition from scoring.

If that was maximum effort from some of our players, then they might as well relegate us now.

Nobody has said they aren't trying. Some of them are clearly not giving their all, though. Even just looking at a good number of the goals we have conceded this season, there are people not doing their job and it isn't because they don't know what they are supposed to be doing.

Losing goals from sloppy defending is the most obvious indication of players who can't be arsed. Whether it is because they are like that generally or because they are not buying into what they are being asked to do or because they don't like Skelton shouting at them constantly or because they see senior players getting away with being unfit or still being picked even though they contribute nothing, I don't know.

But it is pretty obvious that some of them are unwilling to run through the proverbial brick wall. And if they are like that now, God knows what they will be like in January when they start thinking about where they will be next season. Irvine Meadow for some of them, hopefully.

That wasn't even good enough to be described as a shambles yesterday and it wasn't a one-off.

10 years ago we had a manager who took over a successful Queens team and led them to 4th in his first season in charge. Then, in the second season, it all turned to poop.

It's all just a little bit of history repeating, as Confucius once said. Or it might have been the Propellerheads - one or other.

10 years ago we had a manager who took over a successful Queens team and led them to 4th in his first season in charge. Then, in the second season, it all turned to poop.

It's all just a little bit of history repeating, as Confucius once said. Or it might have been the Propellerheads - one or other.

Iain Scott ?

There's definitely a touch of the Iain Scott's about Fowler. He comes across as a nice guy and I'm almost certain he is a very good coach. Perhaps lacking in other areas though?

Going by their behaviour on the touchline Skelton was definitely brought in has the "bad cop" in our good cop/bad cop set up.

Edited by palmy_cammy

In the last 8 league games we have scored 1 goal in the second half. Technically, Morton scored it. So none of our players has scored a goal in the second half in 8 consecutive games.

In the same 8 games we have conceded 9 in the second half.

Overall, we have scored 4 second half goals and conceded 14.

Skewed slightly by playing with 10 men in the second half v Rangers, but that isn't included in the last 8 games.

4 second half goals in 12 games. Livi scored 4 against us in one.

In the last 8 league games we have scored 1 goal in the second half. Technically, Morton scored it. So none of our players has scored a goal in the second half in 8 consecutive games.

In the same 8 games we have conceded 9 in the second half.

Overall, we have scored 4 second half goals and conceded 14.

Skewed slightly by playing with 10 men in the second half v Rangers, but that isn't included in the last 8 games.

4 second half goals in 12 games. Livi scored 4 against us in one.

Is a leap required to connect our flagging in later stages of games, to our allegedly light training regime?

Is a leap required to connect our flagging in later stages of games, to our allegedly light training regime?

It could be that, but there is possibly more to it.

This season we've scored 8 in the first half and conceded 6. Second half it is scored 4 conceded 14.

If the games had finished at half-time, we'd have 5 more points and be on 19.

Last season it was 12 scored 5 conceded in the first half and 12 scored 11 conceded in the second half in the first 12 games.

I'm not sure whether it is Fowler's approach to the second half of matches that might help to explain it.

I wonder if the half-time message is all about not conceding rather than being about trying to score. And if they do concede early in the second half, like on Saturday, the players can't suddenly change their mindset.

Not sure. Fitness might come into it as well, though. I think it is more of an attitude thing. Plus I think there are one or two players who are quick to take any opportunity to go through the motions. And as soon as we are getting beat, they lose interest.

It could be that, but there is possibly more to it.

This season we've scored 8 in the first half and conceded 6. Second half it is scored 4 conceded 14.

If the games had finished at half-time, we'd have 5 more points and be on 19.

Last season it was 12 scored 5 conceded in the first half and 12 scored 11 conceded in the second half in the first 12 games.

I'm not sure whether it is Fowler's approach to the second half of matches that might help to explain it.

I wonder if the half-time message is all about not conceding rather than being about trying to score. And if they do concede early in the second half, like on Saturday, the players can't suddenly change their mindset.

Not sure. Fitness might come into it as well, though. I think it is more of an attitude thing. Plus I think there are one or two players who are quick to take any opportunity to go through the motions. And as soon as we are getting beat, they lose interest.

Yes, our weak second halves seem to be as much about mentality as any physical deterioration.

My biggest concern though, is simply that too few of our players are actually good enough. I honestly fear that may be the bottom line here and it might see us in trouble this season.

look forward to a big performance on sat in a crucial game for the players and probably more so the Manager, hopefully we get a reaction from the Livi game, surely the manager has looked at his team and is going to choose players that will give 100% for the club and there teammates.

There must be a massive improvement!!!

They obviously can't even trap or pass a ball.Why don't they want to stay and practice more?

Whats that got to do with fitness?

Yes, our weak second halves seem to be as much about mentality as any physical deterioration. My biggest concern though, is simply that too few of our players are actually good enough. I honestly fear that may be the bottom line here and it might see us in trouble this season.

I agree with the first part. Maybe not so much the second though.