The Queen of the South thread

Torn about who we should get in the next round. Alloa for progression or premiership team for hopefully financial gain. Celtic or rangers are good for me cos they more than likely be on TV and I get to watch them [emoji2]

The main thing is it sounds like the team won ugly. The ability to do this will be important for the league season coming. As has been said we have got through and a couple of premiership teams have failed to do so to which we should be quite proud of in my opinion.

3 hours ago, gogs said:

Celtic away please watch us get Alloa emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Celtic away is pretty unappealing as far as I'm concerned.  Elimination would be fairly certain and any financial windfall would be distinctly limited.  It's the kind of fixture that attracts 12-14000 these days.

That's not to be sniffed at of course, but I'd prefer progress.  If we have to get Celtic and end the run of decades without playing them, I'd prefer it was at Palmerston, where there would at least be a sense of occasion.

Absolutely awful performance .The other thing that concerns me (and hopefully all taxpayers) was the complete waste of money on SIX policemen doing the square root of nothing at the game .This has to be sorted out .There was 20 odd away fans I noticed the plods were sitting watching the game .It really is a joke .

I'm sure the impact on your taxes is somewhere around zero and if you are complaining about wastes of public money there's a lot more pressing issues for you to be concerned with in the region and nationally than the police not having to do much at a league cup round 1 match.

9 minutes ago, QosLoyal said:

When was the last time we played celtic? Dont think iv ever seen us play that mob. Alloa at home would be ideal.

1991 I think from memory. There is a thread on last time each club was played on Infowire. It will be on there. They are the only club in SPFL football we havent played this century.

Yesterday was as bad as the Airdrie performance was good. Those are the only two I've been to but judging by reports we've been good in the away ties as well so I'm not going to panic just yet. Stenny set out to spoil the game, and managed to very successfully. We really struggled to produce the quality needed to break them down, and the stop/start nature of the game meant we were unable to build any momentum. That was our own fault in part with all the offside decisions but Stenny also produced a large number of cynical fouls to stop us in our tracks.

Despite ending up with a positive result and outcome it wasn't a very pleasant experience. Some of the abuse being directed at the team from around about me was simply scandalous. With Dykes, Smith and Pickard taking the brunt of it. It just doesn't sit right with me that these 60+ year old men find it acceptable to shout a tirade of abuse at some teenagers. Someone telling Dykes to "f**k off back to Australia" was the low point.

There's no getting away from the fact some of the young lads had pretty poor games but they weren't alone, which leads me to my next point. Mark Millar.

If Millar is as good as he's apparently meant to be he should be absolutely standing out against a team of cloggers such as Stenny. He should be running the show from the middle of the park and offering the creative spark that was missing. Instead he was completely anonymous opting to remove himself completely from the play most of the time by sitting ridiculously deep. There's a lot of responsibility on his shoulders this season and I don't think he's willing to step up. I would prioritise signing a central midfielder to play alongside Tapping if I was the manager.

To end on a positive I think the defence looks pretty solid. If Robinson can keep the eccentricities to a minimum we should be quite hard to score against.

19 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Yesterday was as bad as the Airdrie performance was good. Those are the only two I've been to but judging by reports we've been good in the away ties as well so I'm not going to panic just yet. Stenny set out to spoil the game, and managed to very successfully. We really struggled to produce the quality needed to break them down, and the stop/start nature of the game meant we were unable to build any momentum. That was our own fault in part with all the offside decisions but Stenny also produced a large number of cynical fouls to stop us in our tracks.

Despite ending up with a positive result and outcome it wasn't a very pleasant experience. Some of the abuse being directed at the team from around about me was simply scandalous. With Dykes, Smith and Pickard taking the brunt of it. It just doesn't sit right with me that these 60+ year old men find it acceptable to shout a tirade of abuse at some teenagers. Someone telling Dykes to "f**k off back to Australia" was the low point.

There's no getting away from the fact some of the young lads had pretty poor games but they weren't alone, which leads me to my next point. Mark Millar.

If Millar is as good as he's apparently meant to be he should be absolutely standing out against a team of cloggers such as Stenny. He should be running the show from the middle of the park and offering the creative spark that was missing. Instead he was completely anonymous opting to remove himself completely from the play most of the time by sitting ridiculously deep. There's a lot of responsibility on his shoulders this season and I don't think he's willing to step up. I would prioritise signing a central midfielder to play alongside Tapping if I was the manager.

To end on a positive I think the defence looks pretty solid. If Robinson can keep the eccentricities to a minimum we should be quite hard to score against.

Jeez that`s pathetic stuff. I know every team has these idiots but we do seem to have some absolute zoomers in our support. It`s a real plus to me that Skelton wants to give young players a chance in a team that has a good core of experience and you would think the support would back that. With youth comes inconsistency though.

11 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Was it not 2-1? Andy Thomsom scoring for us.

Yes it was. And it was 1-1 for a long time until Joe Miller won it late on. We had been there the previous season too though, losing 2-0 to two Dziekanowski goals. I imagine that is the game he is thinking of.

12 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

All of this.

It really was poor today.  It wasn't quite our strongest eleven, but wasn't that far from it either.  

I like the look of Hamill increasingly, but otherwise, nothing looked great today.  It's obviously early days, but it needs to be better than we offered today.

Still, 32 teams were in these groups and only 12 got through.  We should probably be pleased that we're there, but today felt a bit dispiriting.

I think it showed how important Tapping and Hilson are for us and, arguably, how different last season might have been if they had been fit.

There was a real lack of quality today. For all the criticism Fowler received for over playing, this was the opposite. Far too many hopeful balls forward that got us nowhere

23 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I said exactly the same thing, almost word for word, on the way out yesterday. Millar and  Tapping has the potential to be a decent partnership but on yesterdays showing Millar would be nowhere near the team. Its incredibly frustrating and disappointing as the talent is clearly there.

I think I would start Tapping and Jacobs in the centre of midfield. Have Jacobs sit in front of the back four and let Tapping get on the ball a bit further forward.

As Cammy says yesterday wasnt very good but there have been plenty of positives in the other games and were missing Tapping, Rigg and (to an extent) Hilson yesterday as well as losing Lyle early. In the end we were maybe lucky to win but we are in the last 16 which was the aim and something the likes of County, Dundee, Killie, Falkirk, Raith, St Mirren and one of Dundee United or Dunfermline havent managed. Only Thistle have actually scored against us too and Hamill so far looks an absolute star.

We need a couple of players probably, preferably someone naturally left sided but overall pretty happy with our start.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

17 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yes it was. And it was 1-1 for a long time until Joe Miller won it late on. We had been there the previous season too though, losing 2-0 to two Dziekanowski goals. I imagine that is the game he is thinking of.

Were the games not in 1989 and 1990?

I was at the first one, but missed the second (which I think was a quarter final) due to a holiday.

48 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Were the games not in 1989 and 1990?

I was at the first one, but missed the second (which I think was a quarter final) due to a holiday.

Could have been. In fact on reflection I think you are right. Think I was starting 3rd year at Uni about the time of the second one which would make it 1990.

I will resist the temptation to call you obnoxious for correcting me though. ;-)

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Could have been. In fact on reflection I think you are right. Think I was starting 3rd year at Uni about the time of the second one which would make it 1990.

I will resist the temptation to call you obnoxiois for correcting me though. ;-)

That would be fine.

I am thoroughly obnoxious.