The Queen of the South thread

To be fair any manager in his right mind I would hope would be able to identify Nesbitt and Lindsay as players of note before they had joined Morton. Its just Duffys powers of persuasion that let yous get them 

Given Celtics dev squad play at Cappielow I doubt there's much persuasion required. Morton probably have first pick over their players.
I don't disagree but he has also had a knack of spotting other decent signings and taking players other clubs did not rate and getting the best from them.  A few examples
Lee Kilday, Rikki Lamie, Ross Forbes, Jamie  McDonagh and even Andy Murdoch who has been great for us could not get a club until Jim signed him.  Ditto Gavin Gunning who's career may well be resurrected thanks to JD.
He is far from infallible but he has an eye for a player and the ability to get them to play for him!

Again, though, every manager would have been well aware of Gunnings ability. Duffy took a chance on his temperament and its paid off big time but I doubt there's a manager in the country who doesn't rate Gunning.

9 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

Andy Murdoch was always going to be a good signing and not many fans of other clubs thought different. Have to agree on many of those though. His hit rate this season in particular has been terrific. He's been one of our better managers in the transfer market in recent memory.

Murdoch was signed well into September, as a free agent after the window had closed.  If other clubs thought highly of him he would have been snapped up before that.  And what a good signing he has been.  Lindsay and Murdoch are amongst the best central midfield pairings in the league.

PS. Sorry for hijacking a Queens thread.  I'll stop now.

Edited by Tonsilitis

Just now, Tonsilitis said:

Murdoch was signed well into September, as a free agent after the window had closed.  If other clubs thought highly of him he would have been snapped up before that.  And what a good signing he has been.  Lindsay and Murdoch are amongst the best central midfield pairings in the league.

I'm not really interested in what other clubs thought. It was well regarded as a good signing by both our own and other supporters and he has done the job that he was absolutely expected to do. To act like he's some sort of amazing find is just ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Tonsilitis said:

Or maybe he was holding out for higher wages then settled when he didnt get any offers at the level he wanted?

Given he was on loan with us last season Id like to think we were at least interested when he was released by Rangers.

1 minute ago, Randy Giles said:

I'm not really interested in what other clubs thought. It was well regarded as a good signing by both our own and other supporters and he has done the job that he was absolutely expected to do. To act like he's some sort of amazing find is just ridiculous.

I have not nor am I talking about what fans think/thought.  I am only saying he is a good signing that we got and other clubs missed.

1 hour ago, Tonsilitis said:

Murdoch went down South in the summer after his release by Rangers and tried to get a contract in England. For whatever reason he didnt get one and returned North when the window had closed and most clubs had committed their player budgets. He landed at Morton after you won a watch by reaching the League Cup semi finals. Thats not a criticism but lets not pretend he was some surprise success plucked out of left field by a manager with great perception for something others couldnt see. Duffy has done a tremendous job at Morton but Andy Murdoch being decent at this level was far from unforseeable.

Edited by Skyline Drifter