The Queen of the South thread

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Well dropping Robinson is definitely the first step...

He hasnt been as outstanding as in his previous spell but other than the first and possibly the second at Falkirk a couple of weeks ago I wouldnt blame him for too much. Certainly today's wasnt down to him.

I wasn't expecting much from any of these fixtures, as naysmith has inherited a squad full of injuries and really low on confidence, and In my opinion a non existent midfield. I'm hoping we bring in a few loan signings in to try and stop the rot and see where we go from there. I like what he is doing with hammil in the midfield as with him and Jacobs we have a screen for the defence( and also a bit of bite) which allows our wing backs to push on, and hopefully with the right signings this formation can be a success.

Our defence is pish, two centre halfs are done at the moment brownlie is maybe just our best option. Right back has to be Hamill great use of ball but lacks in pace is only thing, Marshall huffs and puffs but lack of a final ball. Midfield right wing Anderson tries and tries but struggling at the moment (maybe due to injury), wee Dan I like but is forever cutting in regardless of what wing he's on, wish we had someone that'd just run at the oppositions full back, centre mids too negative, don't get me wrong they do their jobs well but we don't have anyone that's going to make a late run into the box or that. Left wing has been a major issue all season, and one that needs rectified quickly. Upfront they do a job but there's a genuine lack of pace and pressure, someone in the gav Reilly mould would be ideal.

Think we need 4/5 players, whether we get them is another thing.

Guest TOPFITTER
1 hour ago, NM_1919 said:

Upfront they do a job but there's a genuine lack of pace and pressure, someone in the gav Reilly mould would be ideal.

Hiya GAV's mate Hiya,,,,,joking aside you have a point, the man that made N Clark !!!

Guest TOPFITTER
1 hour ago, NM_1919 said:

Can't hide that, but pace and how he squeezes game would get us further up the park

Totally agree would love to see Gav back and if we had a creative midfielder who could beat a player and put in a quality ball and had scoring abilities from set-pieces and pens that would be a great bonus. Wonder where we could nick one of those ???

2cq0bpe.jpg

Main difference that I see from the McIntyre/Fowler team that finished 4th in a very tough league is the lack of young progressive players in our squad. We are now packed full of players at the wrong end of their careers. Apart from Marshall and possibly Dykes the squad is bereft of youthful enthusiasm and like so many Championship sides we are basically reliant on solid journeymen. If we are to outperform our status we have to recruit much better and our Dev squad has to produce players of genuine first team quality. Although players like McShane, Holt, Reilly, Durnan and Carmichael have probably not gone on to fulfill their full potential they are exactly the types that we are lacking on the Palmy conveyor belt. We are not alone in this - Falkirk are the same at present and are struggling a bit by their standards.Ayr and Raith are broadly the same. Morton on the other hand have a good crop of potential climbers in Lindsay, Russell, Quitongo,Nisbet. No coincidence that they are having their best season in a long time.

Clearly a very difficult puzzle to solve but for us to be successful (i.e top 4 position we need 4/5 progressive types to supplement the good experienced players that we currently have. A great scouting/development system can find these players but in past couple of seasons we have fallen into the trap of signing too many players at wrong end of career and are paying the price of that.