The Queen of the South thread

30 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

The choice of opposition was nothing to do with the Club, would you rather that the club withdrew facilities for the game because a rangers legend team is the opposition, chosen by the player and his organising committee. The match is about supporting Derek Lyle. Who would you have as opponents?

Very much aware the choice has nothing to do with the club, still a shambolic choice by the organisers.

Pretty much anyone other than either half of the OF. Changes the game from being about Derek Lyle, and onto some fairly unsavoury characters.

Personally don't think any of the testimonials that have happened over the last ten years should have happened. But after the first one, the other two are justified. 

It should be for ten years unbroken service.

That's not the most ridiculous argument tbh but given a footballer's career is probably an average of 20 years I think a testimonial for someone who has given a club 10 years service, broken or not is perfectly acceptable.

47 minutes ago, Brother Grimm said:

Very much aware the choice has nothing to do with the club, still a shambolic choice by the organisers.

Pretty much anyone other than either half of the OF. Changes the game from being about Derek Lyle, and onto some fairly unsavoury characters.

Personally don't think any of the testimonials that have happened over the last ten years should have happened. But after the first one, the other two are justified. 

Why not testimonials? As for the choice of opposition I think it's great that Del gets to play against a team of players we all know he has supported and will continue to do so and will benefit far more from playing a Rangers legends team than playing against prob any other side. Good on the organisers for arranging this match.

Ps the only blue nose I've got is for Queens.

I'm not a fan of such fixtures anyway.  

I remember moaning on here about how the Burns one unfolded, but not many agreed with me.  If I'm unable to make it to this one, it'll not cost me sleep.  Lyle will probably cope with that too, mind.

I'm not a fan of such fixtures anyway.  
I remember moaning on here about how the Burns one unfolded, but not many agreed with me.  If I'm unable to make it to this one, it'll not cost me sleep.  Lyle will probably cope with that too, mind.

The burns one was a good idea, but the game was a farce. The aged assistant manager being allowed to stroll through and score being a particular low.

1 minute ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The burns one was a good idea, but the game was a farce. The aged assistant manager being allowed to stroll through and score being a particular low.

We either agree, or your're parodying the stuff I came out with at the time.

It was not well received as I recall.

It has been pointed out that if Queens some how defeated Hibs and also won against Dumbarton we could close the gap on the team above us to 2-4 points. That would require Dundee U, Falkirk and/or Morton to get 0 or 1 point in their next couple of games which is unlikely though not impossible. We would then have a nervy last two games with an outside chance of sneaking into the play-offs.

I think it is unlikely that we will get in the play-offs, however - if we do - I feel confident that Mr Dobbie would drag us up into the Premier Division, given his divine powers and his comments at the start of the season about his reason for coming back to Queens (and it would be a fitting conclusion to the most absurd season in living memory)!

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

It has been pointed out that if Queens some how defeated Hibs and also won against Dumbarton we could close the gap on the team above us to 2-4 points. That would require Dundee U, Falkirk and/or Morton to get 0 or 1 point in their next couple of games which is unlikely though not impossible. We would then have a nervy last two games with an outside chance of sneaking into the play-offs.
I think it is unlikely that we will get in the play-offs, however - if we do - I feel confident that Mr Dobbie would drag us up into the Premier Division, given his divine powers and his comments at the start of the season about his reason for coming back to Queens (and it would be a fitting conclusion to the most absurd season in living memory)!

It would be somewhat hilarious if we ended up in the playoffs.

I suspect that if we did somehow go up, we'd come straight back down.

21 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

It would be somewhat hilarious if we ended up in the playoffs.

I suspect that if we did somehow go up, we'd come straight back down.

I would take that deal right now.

We'll not make the play-offs though.  

But it is galling.  We've had such a crazily bad prolonged spell, chucked points away against Dundee United and despite the lauding of Morton,  trail them only really by the head to heads.  

This season would not have needed to be vastly better, to potentially have a much better outcome.

I would take that deal right now.
We'll not make the play-offs though.  
But it is galling.  We've had such a crazily bad prolonged spell, chucked points away against Dundee United and despite the lauding of Morton,  trail them only really by the head to heads.  
This season would not have needed to be vastly better, to potentially have a much better outcome.

Two horrendous results at home to St Mirren have also cost us dear! [emoji35]

Our mid season collapse helped neither the team or Dobbie. I still have a sneaky feeling he'll bang a few more in before the end of the season and pip Cummings as top goal scorer.

1 hour ago, Hawk said:

Our mid season collapse helped neither the team or Dobbie. I still have a sneaky feeling he'll bang a few more in before the end of the season and pip Cummings as top goal scorer.

Much will likely depend on what Hibs attitude to League games for the rest of the season is and that may also partly depend on whether or not they reach the Scottish Cup Final. If they do they will more likely keep their best eleven more or less ticking over. If they don't and the rest of the season is a victory tour they may start leaving out prime assets like Cummings and McGinn and playing more fringe players.

I'd be surprised if Dobbie didn't get one or two more goals over the next three games anyway since clearly he will likely play unless he picks up an injury.

22 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Can't see any report/score for last night's U20's V Mids game on the OS. Anyone got info?

I wasn't able to be there so there's no report as it's usually me who puts them up. I believe there will be a report in Saturday's programme though.

We won 6-2 I believe with Aidan Smith getting 4 of them. I think Jay McInally got one of the other two and we were 1-0 down very early on. That's all I know at the moment.