The Queen of the South thread

3 hours ago, football maniac said:

Very strong and honest words from the manager after Saturdays game. If only the players could deliver the same passion as the boss. Naysmith deserves the chance to build a team with his qualities. He wants players at the bare minimum to give 100% effort and questioned their attitude on Saturday. Will be hard for a lot of them to win back his trust but maybe his after match reaction will have the desired affect on a few. To be fair it was more lack of quality than effort that I noticed on Saturday. Does anyone think a lack of effort was apparent from some players? Will certainly be an interesting summer

Naypraise gives "strong and honest" words after every performance. Even after Dobbie's brace at Somerset Park (including a wonder goal) he started his comments on Dobbie as saying "Aye you mibbee get frustrated with him as he does miss a lot of chances" or words to that effect - it's on the video. Then there were the comments a few weeks ago saying "There's a problem within this group of players" - a great thing to say when you have 5/6 games left with that group of players. The guy inspires zero hope in me (and I am normally very cheerful).

As for the crowds, depressing that our hardcore is now 1100. I have watched the estimate of our "hardcore" drop down from 1800 to 1600 to 1400 to now 1188 on Saturday. None of the usual approaches have solved this and I think it is time something radical was tried like massively cutting the ticket price / season ticket price - not because I think it will work but because something has to happen (though cutting the ticket price could easily put the club in greater trouble so I see why it isn't being done).

1 hour ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

As for the crowds, depressing that our hardcore is now 1100. I have watched the estimate of our "hardcore" drop down from 1800 to 1600 to 1400 to now 1188 on Saturday. None of the usual approaches have solved this and I think it is time something radical was tried like massively cutting the ticket price / season ticket price - not because I think it will work but because something has to happen (though cutting the ticket price could easily put the club in greater trouble so I see why it isn't being done).

When was our "hard core" ever 1800? Not in our most recent spell since promotion I don't think. It's certainly dropped over the 2 or 3 years though and I don't believe it's particularly down to price. We're already the cheapest in the division and there's pretty much zero evidence that price drops solve anything. In fact there is plenty of evidence to the contrary, notably Raith in the current season who have announced that dropping their prices led to no improvement at all in the gates (I appreciate Raith have also been largely very poor this season which doesn't help).

The prices are fine, and I really don't think the board can do much more incentive-wise to get people to come along, bar of course putting a good team on the park.  Clearly there is room for improvement in that respect, but I think their appeared strategy of reducing our reliance on match day income is the way forward.

Certainly better than Davie Rae budgeting for unheard of crowds of 3000.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

When was our "hard core" ever 1800? Not in our most recent spell since promotion I don't think. It's certainly dropped over the 2 or 3 years though and I don't believe it's particularly down to price. We're already the cheapest in the division and there's pretty much zero evidence that price drops solve anything. In fact there is plenty of evidence to the contrary, notably Raith in the current season who have announced that dropping their prices led to no improvement at all in the gates (I appreciate Raith have also been largely very poor this season which doesn't help).

No, definitely not, I am thinking over the past 10-15 years since promotion from the old Division 2 (although promotion should not affect the size of the "hard core" due to the nature of being hard core). I suppose when I first started thinking about a hard core (i.e. when we started getting fair-weather fans around 2002) I thought it was immovable and wouldn't change...

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

56 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

No, definitely not, I am thinking over the past 10-15 years since promotion from the old Division 2 (although promotion should not affect the size of the "hard core" due to the nature of being hard core). I suppose when I first started thinking about a hard core (i.e. when we started getting fair-weather fans around 2002) I thought it was immovable and wouldn't change...

When we won the second division in 2002 and were playing second level for the first time in nearly 15 years, we had gates regularly over 2,000 and sometimes as high as 3,000 but there was massive novelty value in that. Other than the season after the Scottish Cup Final we've never remotely looked like having a hardcore of approaching 2,000 home fans in the last decade, even when winning the second division again. We've had decent averages in the last 3 seasons but they've been falsely boosted by visiting supports from Rangers, Hearts and Hibs. I tend to think of the hardcore support as being somewhere around 1,400 fans and I still think that's generally about right or maybe slightly lower. When you reach the back end of April though and games are meaningless and the sun is shining it's going to dip a bit. A home support of 1,200 on Saturday was disappointing but not particularly indicative of anything more than end of season malaise. I suspect it will be slightly better v Dunfermline as the last game usually brings a few out but it likely won't be enormously so.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

When we won the second division in 2002 and were playing second level for the first time in nearly 15 years, we had gates regularly over 2,000 and sometimes as high as 3,000 but there was massive novelty value in that. Other than the season after the Scottish Cup Final we've never remotely looked like having a hardcore of approaching 2,000 home fans in the last decade, even when winning the second division again. We've had decent averages in the last 3 seasons but they've been falsely boosted by visiting supports from Rangers, Hearts and Hibs. I tend to think of the hardcore support as being somewhere around 1,400 fans and I still think that's generally about right or maybe slightly lower. When you reach the back end of April though and games are meaningless and the sun is shining it's going to dip a bit. A home support of 1,200 on Saturday was disappointing but not particularly indicative of anything more than end of season malaise. I suspect it will be slightly better v Dunfermline as the last game usually brings a few out but it likely won't be enormously so.

I have no interest in discussing the meaning of "hard core" with you but, evidently, that is where our difference of opinion lies.

Have a happy evening :)

One of our local papers has some transfer news tomorrow. I suspect it'll be confirmation that Stirling is joining you guys in the summer.

Not a fan of announcing these things before the season is over, but there you go. It seemed to spur Robert Thomson on, so hopefully it has the same impact on Andy for our final couple of games.

Good signing. I thought we might have gone for him last year.   He and Stanton were the two best players on the pitch on Saturday.

With regard to previous comments about lack of effort or ' holiday mode' in the Dumbarton game I must say that did not come across to me. Sometimes you can see that but I would say Saturday was not one of those occasions.  More a disjointed, rudderless ship type of performance where players did not seem 100% sure or confident of their roles.

I would put that down to poor Management not lay the blame AGAIN at the players feet.  The more I think about it the more the Manager's attitude infuriates me.  The post from Margaret Thatcher is spot on.   If he continues with this then at some point he will lose the dressing room completely and will deserve what surely will come his way - hopefully sooner rather than later.

Listening to Gordon Smith last night discussing Rangers tactics against Celtic and how they got it wrong, he recounted from his playing days when a player actually stood up at HT and said to the Manager they were struggling on the pitch because they were not set up or organised properly and it was not their fault but the Managers.   Must have been a very brave - or some might say stupid - individual !   He did not say what the consequences were but said there are times as a player when you feel that and know it is happening and it is not your fault.

Very insightful from an ex player.  I wonder how many of our players have felt that recently and if any have had the bottle to speak up.

Good signing. I thought we might have gone for him last year.   He and Stanton were the two best players on the pitch on Saturday.
With regard to previous comments about lack of effort or ' holiday mode' in the Dumbarton game I must say that did not come across to me. Sometimes you can see that but I would say Saturday was not one of those occasions.  More a disjointed, rudderless ship type of performance where players did not seem 100% sure or confident of their roles.
I would put that down to poor Management not lay the blame AGAIN at the players feet.  The more I think about it the more the Manager's attitude infuriates me.  The post from Margaret Thatcher is spot on.   If he continues with this then at some point he will lose the dressing room completely and will deserve what surely will come his way - hopefully sooner rather than later.
Listening to Gordon Smith last night discussing Rangers tactics against Celtic and how they got it wrong, he recounted from his playing days when a player actually stood up at HT and said to the Manager they were struggling on the pitch because they were not set up or organised properly and it was not their fault but the Managers.   Must have been a very brave - or some might say stupid - individual !   He did not say what the consequences were but said there are times as a player when you feel that and know it is happening and it is not your fault.
Very insightful from an ex player.  I wonder how many of our players have felt that recently and if any have had the bottle to speak up.

Totally agree with this. I, like you didn't see our performance as a 'holiday mode' display. For the first 20 minutes we were comfortably on top and deservedly ahead. We then conceded and from then on weren't at the races. This isn't something that's just happened on Saturday, it's been a recurring theme since Naysmith came in. I don't have any insight as to why this keeps happening but it does. Is it because the manager doesn't give the players a Plan B after we concede? Is it a confidence issue amongst the players? I really don't know what it is but I'm inclined to question the manager rather than the players. I don't understand how a goal (particularly an equaliser) can stop a team in their tracks. If it is a confidence thing then surely GN needs to get on top of this and install some self belief into the players. Coming out after a game and slating them and their ability isn't going to do them any favours in that department.

Like all new Managers, Naysmith wanted to put his stamp on the team when he came in. I believe he told certain behind-the-scenes individual(s) not to interfere in 1st team football. If true then was a positive and required start. I think however he may have upset a few in the ranks by immediately stripping the Club Captain and Assistant Captain of their positions and bringing in a new player and giving him the Captain's armband. His after-match comments also don't seem aimed at fostering good team spirit. Despite him saying after Saturday's game that he is not in the habit of publicly criticising players he had done it on several occasions.

I think under Skelton there appeared to be a good spirit within the squad. That was seriously eroded under the Interim Manager as performances got worse, and Naysmith doesn't appear to have been able to restore a positive team spirit. Maybe just a feeling on my part but there seems to be factions within the squad. We'll have to wait and see who comes and who goes in the summer and maybe when he has brought more of his own men in we will see players who want to play for him.

1 minute ago, kleinfaethetoon said:

Make a statement of intent for next season now and relieve him of the job and get Paul Hartley in !!!

Bit harsh to want rid already. He at least deserves the opportunity to shape his own squad before judgement can be made. Getting Stirling in seems a good start. His January signings weren't bad either.

20 minutes ago, football maniac said:

Bit harsh to want rid already. He at least deserves the opportunity to shape his own squad before judgement can be made. Getting Stirling in seems a good start. His January signings weren't bad either.

His loan signings were good until he started chopping and changing, whether Rankin and Mercer were is arguable. Rankin is hardly picking up many plaudits from the fans and Mercer's not even getting a game from the bench now. Maybe he's still dizzy from the runaround he got V St. Mirren.