The Queen of the South thread

Have we any new players in training with us? Mcfadden story gone quiet is he still training with the team? Not much news coming out of palmerston the now.

Hasn't been anything of note for over a month. If he signs McFadden it kind of goes against everything he said at the slo meeting, where he wanted young boys out to prove themselves, pace and hunger to play a high intensity game. Although , personally feel we need experience at the back, but don't know where that player will come from.

1 hour ago, NM_1919 said:

Hasn't been anything of note for over a month. If he signs McFadden it kind of goes against everything he said at the slo meeting, where he wanted young boys out to prove themselves, pace and hunger to play a high intensity game. Although , personally feel we need experience at the back, but don't know where that player will come from.

I can appreciate the predicament Naysmith is under with McFadden.  He's not really what we need and his wage could probably cover two loan signings.  However the opportunity to sign a player of his calibre doesn't crop up for a club like ours very often.

My head says we probably shouldn't sign him, but my heart thinks why not?

I can appreciate the predicament Naysmith is under with McFadden.  He's not really what we need and his wage could probably cover two loan signings.  However the opportunity to sign a player of his calibre doesn't crop up for a club like ours very often.

Seeing McFadden and dobbie in the same side would have seemed sort of dream for us 5/6 years ago... unless we can strike some sort of deal, I don't think it's one we should be doing. I've no doubt he'd be brilliant around the club, and would have moments of brilliance, but it's how often we'd see them.

2 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I think you should listen to your head.

McFadden has not been able to contribute significantly to any team on the pitch for a while.  It's now two and a half years since he shambled around Palmerston inffectually in that Cup tie we won against St Johnstone.

On 28/06/2017 at 10:26, capt_oats said:

The Naysmith thing probably explains quite a bit tbh. I had a feeling he might end up at Queens when he left us. IIRC the Dom Thomas loan to you guys last season came about through McFadden putting a word in with Naysmith (I may have totally made that up though).

He re-signed for Motherwell (again) in the 2nd half of the 15/16 season but only made 3 appearances (though contributed 2 assists) then broke his ankle in training in the March of that season which ruled him out for the rest of the fixtures. Then he was somewhat shanghaied into taking the assistant manager gig last season after Robinson left unexpectedly, I have a suspicion that he didn't actually have much interest in that sort of job but didn't exactly have many options on the table after the much talked about move to the US fell on its arse and whatever way you look at it, it was a decent opportunity for him.

One thing he has been consistent about is that he still wants to play. Even in his press conferences when he took the assistant job he was still saying that he wanted to contribute on the playing side of things which made for an awkward fit in terms of his role at the club from the outset.

He made 6 sub appearances for us last season which totalled up to 100 mins of football and chipped in with 2 goals so, a goal every 50 mins. Over the past 2 seasons he's played 224 mins of football, though the mitigating factor last season is that he was assistant manager rather than it being an issue with injury. He's had plenty of time to recover from any injuries tbf. I doubt he'd have been on huge wages at Motherwell (certainly not when he signed as a player in 15/16) and if there was a role there that combined some guaranteed playing time along with some coaching experience then it'd be the sort of thing that would make sense for him.

I've no idea what the Queens side need at the moment but I'd have thought that McFadden would almost certainly still be able to offer something at Championship level. He's no pace and you'd clearly not get 90 mins week in, week out from him but used in the right way he'd probably be able to contribute. Certainly in terms of creativity and a bit of experience you'd probably get an hour or so from him and an option off the bench. As for the artificial surface chat, he's turned out quite a few times for our u20s who use Airdrie's ground for home games.

46 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think you should listen to your head.

McFadden has not been able to contribute significantly to any team on the pitch for a while.  It's now two and a half years since he shambled around Palmerston inffectually in that Cup tie we won against St Johnstone.

That goes against the views of capt_oats above.  He hasn't featured very much since then, that is undeniable.  It would seem he has been able to contribute when he has though.

4 minutes ago, McG said:

McFadden is done and would be a complete waste of a wage for you guys.

I don't know if he's done but if you are running a small squad on a tight budget then it seems ludicrous to me to even consider it.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

That goes against the views of capt_oats above.  He hasn't featured very much since then, that is undeniable.  It would seem he has been able to contribute when he has though.

Two goals from an attacking player is not a significant contribution.

That really is undeniable.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

18 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Two goals from an attacking player is not a significant contribution.

That really is undeniable.

2 goals every 100 minutes across a full season is though.

I'm not meaning to be a huge advocate of his signing.  I'm probably 50/50.  I'm just taking issue with your comment about him not contributing.  I think if he where to stay fit, and if we were able to find a role for him in the team he undoubtedly would contribute.  Where the doubt comes in is in the "if" parts of that sentence.

I also feel we are heading for a very "meh" season and his signing might provide a little bit of excitement.  It's just as likely to end up like Rudi Skacel at Raith of course.

Guest Flash

I think we should maybe try to sign Kenny Dalglish. He's no pace and we'd clearly not get 90 mins from him week in week out, but used in the right way, he'd probably be able to contribute. Plus, he could travel up with Dobbie.

3 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

2 goals every 100 minutes across a full season is though.

Or simply 2 goals across a full season, which is the reality of what he produced.

I'm not actually violently opposed to his signing, but on balance, I think it would be a mistake given the constraints we face.  It would certainly carry huge risks and I doubt if we're in good enough shape to voluntarily run lots of those.

On 12/07/2017 at 02:03, NM_1919 said:

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Or simply 2 goals across a full season, which is the reality of what he produced.

I'm not actually violently opposed to his signing, but on balance, I think it would be a mistake given the constraints we face.  It would certainly carry huge risks and I doubt if we're in good enough shape to voluntarily run lots of those.

McFadden should be like Dobbie he should be one the best players on the park but sadly he is just like any  other player.Would give him a 6 month deal in the hope that he might find some form and fitness.