The Queen of the South thread

37 minutes ago, Mr X said:

The office staff finish at 4 and thats not really what the U20s are there for, is it?

I can see opening it for the first night would have been good but Im not sure it being open every night there is something on at the arena would actually be worth it.

There are things on at the Arena every night. The idea that we should be staffing the shop for every event that goes on is fanciful and clearly not economic. Its the same as the semi-regular suggestion we should have a town centre retail outlet. We simply dont sell anywhere near enough for the extra profit to cover wages (never mind the overheads of a town centre outlet) and there is a limit to the amount of volunteer time available. There are also limits obviously to the pool of people when it comes to money handling too.

I presume either Eddie Warwick or Danny Armstrong were taking the kids clubs  (possibly both). They both have shop keys and could have helped if someone wanted something I'm sure.

There are things on at the Arena every night. The idea that we should be staffing the shop for every event that goes on is fanciful and clearly not economic. Its the same as the semi-regular suggestion we should have a town centre retail outlet. We simply dont sell anywhere near enough for the extra profit to cover wages (never mind the overheads of a town centre outlet) and there is a limit to the amount of volunteer time available. There are also limits obviously to the pool of people when it comes to money handling too.
I presume either Eddie Warwick or Danny Armstrong were taking the kids clubs  (possibly both). They both have shop keys and could have helped if someone wanted something I'm sure.

Quite honestly the reply I would've expected.

My point was that this is the start of the season, the ideal chance to sell new kit and probably more importantly Junior Blues.

You are correct though there is no way that the club can be expected to staff a shop where there needs to be wages shelled out every evening but as I said in my post the first sessions of the season, first time travel club had been all together in arena at the start of a new season seem to be missed opportunities to me.

It's an opinion but at a time where we are struggling with getting additional income and obviously numbers through the gate then surely £7.50 or whatever the minimum wage is for someone to stay on (if office staff finish at 4) is worth this huge gamble.

23 minutes ago, NorthSouth said:

My point was that this is the start of the season, the ideal chance to sell new kit and probably more importantly Junior Blues.

You are correct though there is no way that the club can be expected to staff a shop where there needs to be wages shelled out every evening but as I said in my post the first sessions of the season, first time travel club had been all together in arena at the start of a new season seem to be missed opportunities to me.

It's an opinion but at a time where we are struggling with getting additional income and obviously numbers through the gate then surely £7.50 or whatever the minimum wage is for someone to stay on (if office staff finish at 4) is worth this huge gamble.

As a one-off for the start of the sessions, you're probably right. As I said, I dont see it achieving much in the long term

Did you suggest to the club before tonight that they should have the shop open, or ask if it would be?

Use the shop on match days . Simples

As a one-off for the start of the sessions, you're probably right. As I said, I dont see it achieving much in the long term
Did you suggest to the club before tonight that they should have the shop open, or ask if it would be?

Can the club not think for themselves??

Use the shop on match days . Simples

Aye great. Fantastic input.

My point was to highlight that the people who don't attend matches could be encouraged to maybe go on match days by dangling an inexpensive hook when they are actually at the arena.

This thread is great at highlighting why more people don't attend.

Going back to how the club can attempt to bring the people of the town and surrounding area back into the fold, in my opinion the current BOD come over as pretty negative when any public statements are made or the silence that normally prevails speaks volumes, what's the clubs ambition for the next 5 years ??? I can't recall this ever being mentioned !!! Previous BOD under the likes of David Rae, Ronnie Bradford and Norman Blount engaged with the public and put a positive spin on the club that did encourage people, maybe the current board could use Norman as a public face ??? Also why not get the manager and Dobbie to visit local schools to talk about QOS and football, two ex premiership footballers representing the club would go down really well, even for the manager and or players to attend local schools matches, what a lift the kids would get if they were in attendance for the last twenty minutes and spoke a few words at the whistle. Wouldn't be a bad thing either for the manager to attend the odd time at local amateur games. It would just show the club in the local area and get people talking and hopefully in turn get people back through the gates.

25 minutes ago, kleinfaethetoon said:

Going back to how the club can attempt to bring the people of the town and surrounding area back into the fold, in my opinion the current BOD come over as pretty negative when any public statements are made or the silence that normally prevails speaks volumes, what's the clubs ambition for the next 5 years ??? I can't recall this ever being mentioned !!! Previous BOD under the likes of David Rae, Ronnie Bradford and Norman Blount engaged with the public and put a positive spin on the club that did encourage people, maybe the current board could use Norman as a public face ??? Also why not get the manager and Dobbie to visit local schools to talk about QOS and football, two ex premiership footballers representing the club would go down really well, even for the manager and or players to attend local schools matches, what a lift the kids would get if they were in attendance for the last twenty minutes and spoke a few words at the whistle. Wouldn't be a bad thing either for the manager to attend the odd time at local amateur games. It would just show the club in the local area and get people talking and hopefully in turn get people back through the gates.

On your point about school visits they already do that and host school trips every week. But the club are competing with the old firm, the EPL and beyond for attention off the kids. why support queens when all your mates support the old firm or they look to see who the big clubs are in the EPL. That is the true challenge in football. Not just for us but every local team. Why go watch your local team when top quality teams are on the TV. Its been stated many times on here before we are one of the cheapest in the league to go watch. Well I reckon queens could do free entry and you still wouldn't fill the stadium for a game. I don't envy the club trying to turn this sort of mind set around. 

Does the board still do their quarterly update on the OS?

We shouldn't be resting on our laurels but it looks to me like we've got the young kids well covered and have done since the Gretna freakshow rolled into town.  They get school visits, kids clubs, coaching and dirt cheap season tickets.  I'm not sure how much more we can flog that particular horse.

Where I see gaps in our support are people around my age and a bit younger.  So people in their 20s and 30s who'd rather stick a coupon on and watch "Jeff and the lads" than attend a live football match on a Saturday afternoon.  It's a lot tougher to think of ways to entice them back.  An obvious one that is completely out of the clubs control would be the ability to get a pint of beer at Palmerston.  I actually think it's a complete scandal that all clubs in Scotland are denied such an obvious revenue stream thanks to the actions of 2 club's supporters 30 years ago.  That's Scotland for you though.

Of course the constant narrative in the Scottish media of how terrible our game is doesn't help.  Add this to the low regard the club seem to be held in the town and it's a tough ask for the club to convince people to come and watch a "crap team in a crap league".  Especially up against media moguls with an endless supply of money to throw at Paul Merson to wax lyrical about West Brom vs Stoke.

Radio Scotland can't be bothered to send a reporter to our games half the time.  Why would someone with only a passing interest bother their arse to turn up?

1 hour ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

It was too highlight that unless more volunteers become available or more money to take on more staff then the ideas that can be applied are limited. But that shouldn't discourage people from trying to help in search way or another.

You're absolutely spot on. The brutal truth is that, rightly or wrongly, the main way things are going to change is through the fans, whether that be with ideas and suggestions or volunteering time or expertise to help out.

If all we do is sit and say "the club should be doing xxx" very little is actually going to change

1 hour ago, NorthSouth said:

Can the club not think for themselves??

Well in this case clearly no one did think of it, or maybe they did but werent able to find anyone to do it. I honestly dont know.

See above, though. If you had suggested it then maybe the shop would have been open and the club would have benefited. I assume thats what you want?

43 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

We shouldn't be resting on our laurels but it looks to me like we've got the young kids well covered and have done since the Gretna freakshow rolled into town.  They get school visits, kids clubs, coaching and dirt cheap season tickets.  I'm not sure how much more we can flog that particular horse.

Where I see gaps in our support are people around my age and a bit younger.  So people in their 20s and 30s who'd rather stick a coupon on and watch "Jeff and the lads" than attend a live football match on a Saturday afternoon.  It's a lot tougher to think of ways to entice them back.  An obvious one that is completely out of the clubs control would be the ability to get a pint of beer at Palmerston.  I actually think it's a complete scandal that all clubs in Scotland are denied such an obvious revenue stream thanks to the actions of 2 club's supporters 30 years ago.  That's Scotland for you though.

Of course the constant narrative in the Scottish media of how terrible our game is doesn't help.  Add this to the low regard the club seem to be held in the town and it's a tough ask for the club to convince people to come and watch a "crap team in a crap league".  Especially up against media moguls with an endless supply of money to throw at Paul Merson to wax lyrical about West Brom vs Stoke.

Radio Scotland can't be bothered to send a reporter to our games half the time.  Why would someone with only a passing interest bother their arse to turn up?

What is our coverage like in the local media? Newspapers, radio etc

I'd be up for buying a block of home tickets at the start of the season. I live too far away to make a season ticket viable and can't afford to buy one as a goodwill gesture but if a book of say 6 tickets be available for home games I could choose nearer the time I'd probably buy it. The discount would need to be less than that of a season ticket to make it work for the club but it's an idea, no?

I also think if we upped the quality of our merchandising, especially in leisure wear, we'd sell more. I saw a mate wearing a black Hibs jacket with a subtly EMBROIDERED black badge recently and the first thing I thought was "if Queens sold something like that I'd buy it".

Could be completely wrong though...

15 hours ago, Mr X said:

I guess the question, then, is what can the club do? 

What kind of things could be done to promote the club better?

Maybe if they appoint a fan rep you'll find out. ;)

One of the main things preventing people from attending, imo, is the lack of any genuine challenge in getting to the top tier. Last season, it petered out after 8 games, far too soon to have any significant impact on crowds. We need to be challenging in February/March before anybody is going to consider it to be serious. We have never had that. And after more than 50 years, there aren't that many around who can remember us being in the top division.

Given that people can watch any number of better quality games on tv, not that many attend now just to see a match. The only thing that might get non-regulars to show up is the prospect of success. So, if pretty much nobody has ever seen a serious challenge, it is difficult to get them to believe that one is going to happen any time soon. It is only after it starts to happen that anybody other than the regulars will be tempted out.

It could be argued that reaching the play-offs represented a possible challenge. But nobody seriously thought we were going to get through them. The best chance was when we were up against Falkirk and Accies. Even then, we fell at the first hurdle. After being 3-1 up in the second half of the second leg. So, another thing contributing to the lack of belief amongst the fans and potential fans. Less home fans showed up for the first leg against Falkirk than had been at the last league game of the season against Livi. That is a measure of the complete lack of belief we are dealing with. And those who didn't go would have their view reinforced by the way the second leg panned out.

Trying to undo the negative view of the club caused by more than 50 years spent outside the top tier is an almost impossible task. I think we will only attract more fans when promotion looks like a realistic possibility. And as generations have grown up not seeing it, there is no belief that it is going to happen. And a lack of people through the gates makes the possibility even less likely, so it becomes self-fulfilling. It would need some form of external funding and we don't have that. Having Dobbie in the team this season represents the best chance we will ever have. So, it is unfortunate that there isn't even enough money to sustain a genuine promotion push for one season. The timing of the loss on the failed concert and missing out on the live tv match against Celtic couldn't have been worse, really.

1 hour ago, louisxiv said:

I'd be up for buying a block of home tickets at the start of the season. I live too far away to make a season ticket viable and can't afford to buy one as a goodwill gesture but if a book of say 6 tickets be available for home games I could choose nearer the time I'd probably buy it. The discount would need to be less than that of a season ticket to make it work for the club but it's an idea, no?

I also think if we upped the quality of our merchandising, especially in leisure wear, we'd sell more. I saw a mate wearing a black Hibs jacket with a subtly EMBROIDERED black badge recently and the first thing I thought was "if Queens sold something like that I'd buy it".

Could be completely wrong though...

The idea of a block of tickets is an interesting one.

Unfortunately, I think the merchandise stuff comes down to numbers. I dont think the club would sell enough to get that kind of bespoke kit. Its only in the last couple of years we've had a bespoke top - in recent time anyway

7 minutes ago, Flash said:

Maybe if they appoint a fan rep you'll find out. ;)

One of the main things preventing people from attending, imo, is the lack of any genuine challenge in getting to the top tier. Last season, it petered out after 8 games, far too soon to have any significant impact on crowds. We need to be challenging in February/March before anybody is going to consider it to be serious. We have never had that. And after more than 50 years, there aren't that many around who can remember us being in the top division.

Given that people can watch any number of better quality games on tv, not that many attend now just to see a match. The only thing that might get non-regulars to show up is the prospect of success. So, if pretty much nobody has ever seen a serious challenge, it is difficult to get them to believe that one is going to happen any time soon. It is only after it starts to happen that anybody other than the regulars will be tempted out.

It could be argued that reaching the play-offs represented a possible challenge. But nobody seriously thought we were going to get through them. The best chance was when we were up against Falkirk and Accies. Even then, we fell at the first hurdle. After being 3-1 up in the second half of the second leg. So, another thing contributing to the lack of belief amongst the fans and potential fans. Less home fans showed up for the first leg against Falkirk than had been at the last league game of the season against Livi. That is a measure of the complete lack of belief we are dealing with. And those who didn't go would have their view reinforced by the way the second leg panned out.

Trying to undo the negative view of the club caused by more than 50 years spent outside the top tier is an almost impossible task. I think we will only attract more fans when promotion looks like a realistic possibility. And as generations have grown up not seeing it, there is no belief that it is going to happen. And a lack of people through the gates makes the possibility even less likely, so it becomes self-fulfilling. It would need some form of external funding and we don't have that. Having Dobbie in the team this season represents the best chance we will ever have. So, it is unfortunate that there isn't even enough money to sustain a genuine promotion push for one season. The timing of the loss on the failed concert and missing out on the live tv match against Celtic couldn't have been worse, really.

I think theres a lot of truth in what you say. In many ways, that makes targeting kids even more important.