The Queen of the South thread

I can't quote using this, so RE. FC_1919, Yes I've seen him play, super fast and has a cracking shot. Have I saw him play against a team of Div 2 standard? No. Which is my biggest concern.

RE. Puma, I'll be more than happy to tell the source they are wrong. I got no enjoyment hearing it or posting about it, I hope they are wrong. The reason I wouldn't give him a chance is because we would be relying on a 27 year old from Dalbeattie Star to score us goals. Some peoe are forgetting how poor the standard is I think. As I've said elsewhere, I know someone who follows Star and when Jack Steele was there he said he was a class above - he's got as far as Annan and IMO is better than Millie in his respective position.

Fair assesment.

I can't quote using this, so RE. FC_1919, Yes I've seen him play, super fast and has a cracking shot. Have I saw him play against a team of Div 2 standard? No. Which is my biggest concern.

RE. Puma, I'll be more than happy to tell the source they are wrong. I got no enjoyment hearing it or posting about it, I hope they are wrong. The reason I wouldn't give him a chance is because we would be relying on a 27 year old from Dalbeattie Star to score us goals. Some peoe are forgetting how poor the standard is I think. As I've said elsewhere, I know someone who follows Star and when Jack Steele was there he said he was a class above - he's got as far as Annan and IMO is better than Millie in his respective position.

We'd hardly be relying on him! As it stands we have Smith who is comfortably first division quality nevermind second. Carmichael who will surely be given more freedom to attack than he was under Gus. Reilly who will hopefully excel at a lower level and given more game time. We also have McCusker who would appear to as much of a gamble as Milligan with his injury record.

The D&G Constabulary one had white socks though. This one will be all blue, a colour scheme I don't recall as our regular kit at all. We did wear all blue in the Cup Final of course though.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Queen_of_the_South/Queen_of_the_South.htm

Actually like the look of the home top, away i am not a fan.

Agree with FC_1919. If the boy makes the grade the. Excellent if not we still have the likes of Smith, Rielly, Carmichael and McCusker(if he is ever fit). Millie has a lot of pace, an eye for goal and can finish great attributes for a striker, I don't see it as a gamble at all.

The D&G Constabulary one had white socks though. This one will be all blue, a colour scheme I don't recall as our regular kit at all. We did wear all blue in the Cup Final of course though.

Its not quite all blue. The shorts do have some white down the side, which breaks it up a little.

Any chance of the Travel Club not putting any logo on the strip? It isn't as if they need to advertise to Queens fans and non-Queens fans aren't interested. Sometimes think a logo spoils a strip (not saying their's would, just generally speaking). Plus it would be kind of unique not having a name on it.

Or would it be worth allowing a local charity to have their name on? Like a kind of local version of what Barcelona do?

Edited to add - we will potentially only clash with two clubs - Stranraer (assuming they come up) and Forfar. so we won't be using the away strip much, unless we use it even when there is no clash.

Last season we clashed with 5 teams (County, Dundee, Falkirk, Raith and Morton)

Someone on the MAD board suggested the same thing. The other problem, for me, is that the Travel club doesnt have any kind of branding. Its not really the kind of thing you can just make up, unless you know what you're doing, and just plain text isnt going to look very good

This is a point I'm worried about. There seems to be a perception that because we're in the Second it is ok to sign players who will probably be ok at Second division level. However, IMO, if you want to get out of it, you should be signing players who are comfortably First division standard. If you sign Second division level players, that is where you will stay.

The idea of resigning players who have proven themselves not to be good enough for the First seems daft to me.

I totally agree

This is a point I'm worried about. There seems to be a perception that because we're in the Second it is ok to sign players who will probably be ok at Second division level. However, IMO, if you want to get out of it, you should be signing players who are comfortably First division standard. If you sign Second division level players, that is where you will stay.

The idea of resigning players who have proven themselves not to be good enough for the First seems daft to me.

I agree, in principle. The biggest problem, though, is that players who are good enough for the 1st division are, likely, going to get offers from 1st division clubs, that we cant match.

There is obviously a gap between the 1st and 2nd, although how big it is remains to be seen. I have no problem with signing someone who wasnt quite good enough for the 1st - and I'd put Clark in that category - but I would have a problem with signing someone who was nowhere near, like Brighton for example. Its all relative

1337332023[/url]' post='6249121']

Agree with FC_1919. If the boy makes the grade the. Excellent if not we still have the likes of Smith, Rielly, Carmichael and McCusker(if he is ever fit). Millie has a lot of pace, an eye for goal and can finish great attributes for a striker, I don't see it as a gamble at all.

Every signing is a gamble, there will be nothing lost in giving him the chance at Palmerston.

Every signing is a gamble, there will be nothing lost in giving him the chance at Palmerston.

Apart from the wages that could have been used to sign someone else. Not saying we shouldnt give him a chance, necessarily, but to suggest theres no consequences if it doesnt work out is wrong.

I appreciate that most First division level players will be snapped up by First division clubs. But not every player who can play in the First will necessarily already be in it. And some who played in it last season might not get fixed up due to clubs cutting back.

It just seems to lack imagination/research to re-sign the same players who took you down. I was hoping to retain the better young players (which has happened) and have a clearout of the rest. Hope that still might happen and that this isn't an indication that we are going to retain the majority of last season's failures.

Clark is younger than Carmichael, only a year older than McShane and Orsi and two years older than Reilly and Holt.

1337345918[/url]' post='6249839']

Apart from the wages that could have been used to sign someone else. Not saying we shouldnt give him a chance, necessarily, but to suggest theres no consequences if it doesnt work out is wrong.

Plenty of players been missed by Queens and maybe if they took more chances on players they would have some better local talent at Palmerston.

Milligan won't be worse than the joke of a player Tom Brighton should he sign.

Plenty of players been missed by Queens and maybe if they took more chances on players they would have some better local talent at Palmerston.

Milligan won't be worse than the joke of a player Tom Brighton should he sign.

Which is why I said I didnt, necessarily, think he shouldnt be given a chance.

However, unless he's going to play for nothing, it is a risk and not a "nothing to lose" signing