The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, football maniac said:

The interesting story of Kev the American. Shame injury ended his career as he had talent. https://blog.namely.com/blog/how-i-went-from-soccer-pro-to-the-hr-industry

Very interesting. I wondered where he'd gone as he simply disappeared off the radar in the summer. Not sure how much injury ending his career is stretching the truth mind you. He had been released by a relegated Peterhead side who could easily have offered him a new contract and sorted the surgery out if they'd wanted to. I guess it may depend on how long he'd have been out for because he'd have needed to get a work visa with someone before he'd have been allowed to remain in the country I think. It's also a complete pain in the backside all the hoops you have to jump through with the Home Office to employ a non-EU citizen. They have to be significantly better than the alternative to make it worthwhile.

He played in the PFA Scotland close season open trial game so presumably was still of a mind to find a new club at that point. The article though is a little unclear. One sentence says he just couldn't afford the time to get surgery and the next says no option but to play on in pain or call it quits. I suspect it actually means no economic option as presumably nobody else was going to pay for it and nobody was going to employ him while he recovered from it.

Good guy though, wish him well in his new career.

3 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

Queens fans, just have a thought for a second about the poster who has got the "scoop" on Mark Kerr. Remember it's the same person who told you Mark Stewart was signing for you in the last January window. HTH

Alert Mongoose :lol:

Is he still managing to hook a few with random names thrown about? He also suggested Andy Stirling was playing as a trialist for Falkirk last week on their thread! There's more chance of Alert Mongoose playing for us in January than Mark Kerr. I think we can say that with relative certainty.

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

Unless one of our current centre backs leaves (Gilchrist might) I don't imagine we'll object to Kerr extending his loan with you guys. He's getting regular football which he probably wouldn't get with us (although given our defensive frailties at set pieces both offensive and defensively, it might be an idea to give him a shot) and he's clearly improving at Queens. That's if Naysmith wants to keep him which I assume he will.

We'll probably recall Kane (although again I'm not sure you'd want him beyond January anyway). Denny Johnstone is an utter huddy and Cummins still hasn't scored this season. Kane is certainly better than the former and can at least put pressure on the latter.

Worth noting that recalling Kerr is more likely to solve a lack of goals than Kane...

He has a good future ahead of him, he is improving immensely with every game.

Is he? You're seeing something different to me then. He's a completely hot or cold performer for me. One week he'll put in a cracking shift and the next and the next he'll be scared to jump and his control will be awful.

There has been an improvement from last season but I just don't see an immense improvement from game to game.

It's a 'meh' announcement for me.

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Is he? You're seeing something different to me then. He's a completely hot or cold performer for me. One week he'll put in a cracking shift and the next and the next he'll be scared to jump and his control will be awful.

There has been an improvement from last season but I just don't see an immense improvement from game to game.

It's a 'meh' announcement for me.

I'd say he's a very raw prospect with quite a high ceiling due to his athleticism and bringing people into play through flick ons and passing.  When he's motivated, he's able to outbattle defenders in the air and outrun them in a footrace which is quite unique for this level. 

Unfortunately it's when he doesn't have the ball is when he's an issue,  like you say there's games were he is very reactive to the play rather than taking charge. So many times he comes short and crosses it when he's the only person over 6 foot on the attacking side, not to mention he isn't the best striker of the ball and 3 goals in 23 games  this season is woeful.

I agree that he's progressed as a player this season and hopefully he can string performances together. It's also probably the first time in his young career that he has been a regular at a club over an extended period. The concern is that he doesn't progress beyond flat track bully and that Scottish Football isn't the most stable environment for a project type player. 

10 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Dykes signs contract extension till May 2019, wonder if any more will follow.

Not sure he will be good enough to play in our first season in the Premiership tbqh.

Utter garbage and to think our chairman won't even pick up the phone to talk to our best player over a new deal when he's desperate to resign

Well if he wants to leave why would the chairman offer him a deal?