The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

It's not that palmerston is 3G that's the problem, it that it's terribly maintained.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If you say so. :rolleyes:

To be fair, it looked much worse for the Dunfermline game than it did for the others. So, if that was the only time you had seen it, you’d think there was something wrong with the maintenance. I think you mentioned later that it hadn’t been brushed before we played Dunfermline, so there was an issue, albeit not an ongoing one.

6 minutes ago, Flash said:

To be fair, it looked much worse for the Dunfermline game than it did for the others. So, if that was the only time you had seen it, you’d think there was something wrong with the maintenance. I think you mentioned later that it hadn’t been brushed before we played Dunfermline, so there was an issue, albeit not an ongoing one.

Ah, was that the Dunfermline game? I wouldn't have remembered at this stage which one it was but there was a game everyone talked about the crumb looking much more black than usual. It wasn't that it wasn't brushed, it was that it was brushed when wet as it had been pretty much constantly wet for a the back end of that week. Ideally it would be brushed when dry and then soaked afterwards.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

The game early this season has lumps of crumb all over the place, it wasn't close to an even surface.

The match at the end of last season was played with a dry pitch, something that shouldn't happen.

Probably a blessing for you guys then because you seen what happens when we played on a good grass pitch.

It's a while since I played football so I'd forgotten that all grass pitches are like bowling greens; completely flat and level, no divots or holes, providing even bouncability across the entire pitch.

Hoping St Johnstone signing McMillan, will mean Chris Kane staying for rest of season
Tommy Wright was on the radio on Saturday suggesting he'll be staying with you lot, if you want to keep him and if he'll be getting regular games. He can't be loaned out elsewhere, and by the sounds of things we don't consider him a starter, so regular games at a level he's comfortable at is preferable.

Tommy Wright was on the radio on Saturday suggesting he'll be staying with you lot, if you want to keep him and if he'll be getting regular games. He can't be loaned out elsewhere, and by the sounds of things we don't consider him a starter, so regular games at a level he's comfortable at is preferable.

Yeah I heard that, hoping it happens. Saturday was his best game in a Queens shirt, but Personally think he’s been decent for us maybe missed the goals but the rest of his game is excellent.

On 12/12/2017 at 20:13, Swarley said:

It's a while since I played football so I'd forgotten that all grass pitches are like bowling greens; completely flat and level, no divots or holes, providing even bouncability across the entire pitch.

There are some great grass pitches. At Wimbledon, as we have sold our ground to Chelsea and they now look after the pitch. It's amazing the difference.  It's desso hybrid but it doesn't come cheap, something like £1.5M and that doesn't include the cost of the sprinkler system they put in at the same time.

Chelsea are making more improvements this coming Summer when they will have more time too, as last  Summer it was all a bit rushed. At half-time and full-time they have about a dozen staff who come on and make it pristine again.  

All this cost for a pitch on which their ladies play, I can only hazard a guess at how much and how well they look after the turf at Stamford Bridge. 

Edited by KingfaetheSooth

40 minutes ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

There are some great grass pitches. At Wimbledon, as we have sold our ground to Chelsea and they now look after the pitch. It's amazing the difference.  It's desso hybrid but it doesn't come cheap, something like £1.5M and that doesn't include the cost of the sprinkler system they put in at the same time.

Chelsea are making more improvements this coming Summer when they will have more time too, as last  Summer it was all a bit rushed. At half-time and full-time they have about a dozen staff who come on and make it pristine again.  

All this cost for a pitch on which their ladies play, I can only hazard a guess at how much and how well they look after the turf at Stamford Bridge. 

So for all you go on about Wimbledon being a model to look up to, you don’t even own your park?

10 minutes ago, Brother Grimm said:

So for all you go on about Wimbledon being a model to look up to, you don’t even own your park?

Also by selling the ground to Chelsea, they  have  indirectly  ended up forcing the original owners of the ground, Kingstonian to be homeless as Chelsea didn’t want 3 teams on it.  Or the dog racing fans they’ve just evicted so they can build their shiny new stadium.  Good to have them as the Moral Guardians of the game.

On 12/12/2017 at 11:25, Skyline Drifter said:

Whatever the rights and wrongs of a 3G pitch what it absolutely doesn't do is provide an "uneven bounce", certainly one more uneven than grass. The pitch is specifically tested to provide bounce in all areas within required specifications.

Not saying it gives an uneven bounce but the ball definitely reacts differently on that surface compared to grass. Personally I would do away with 3G in this country but I understand why clubs want them. As far as I've heard, majority of players don't particularly enjoy them.

47 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

Also by selling the ground to Chelsea, they  have  indirectly  ended up forcing the original owners of the ground, Kingstonian to be homeless as Chelsea didn’t want 3 teams on it.  Or the dog racing fans they’ve just evicted so they can build their shiny new stadium.  Good to have them as the Moral Guardians of the game.

That'll be the Kingstonian FC that Wimbledon allowed to play rent free at the ground for over 10 years and received in excess of £1M from the Chelsea deal to help fund their stadium ambitions for the future? The owners of Kingstonian FC agreed to the sale and the majority of their fans are clued up on this.  And that'll be the Greyhound racing where thousands of dogs are brutally euthenased and some thrown out of cars on motorways when they are no longer able to race?  Greyhound racing is dying on its arse and only kept going by the gambling industry. Do some proper research and come back when you know the facts, mush.

And for Grimm, AFC Wimbledon is moving to a new stadium in the Borough of Merton, some couple of hundred yards where the original Wimbledon FC played. They will own the stadium freehold.

Anyway, back to the main point,  real grass pitches can be unbelievably good these days, but they are very expensive and possibly beyond the finances of many lower league football clubs. 

Edited by KingfaetheSooth

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Not saying it gives an uneven bounce but the ball definitely reacts differently on that surface compared to grass. Personally I would do away with 3G in this country but I understand why clubs want them. As far as I've heard, majority of players don't particularly enjoy them.

Meh, some people will never be a fan of 3G. That's fine. I can't say I have any major feelings on it one way or the other. I am conscious players will generally prefer grass but players have no more responsibilities than to run about on it now and then. They can afford to be choosy.  Like KftS says, a top quality grass pitch would be ideal but without multi-millions being spent on it it's not practical. A good 3G is as good as an average grass pitch, better when conditions are very dry or very wet.

However, all that said, I'm not here to have a debate about the merits of 3G v grass. The point was he was claiming an uneven bounce off a 3G when in fact they are tested to ensure they don't have that, something that isn't done for grass pitches which will generally not have an even bounce outside of the very best of them.

Edited by Skyline Drifter