The Queen of the South thread

45 minutes ago, ron said:

Anyone have any idea if there will be a pay at the gate option for st mirren fans next week. Our website says its ticket only for us........surely not?

It will depend on St Mirrens advance sales though at this moment it doesnt look likely to sell out so unsold tickets will likely be available pre match. Need to see if there is a rush this week though. With the size of away support St Mirren have carried this season they might sell out the stand so they were sent all the tickets for it. Presuming they return unsold tickets they will be available on the day but we will know more towards the end of the week.

17 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It will depend on St Mirrens advance sales though at this moment it doesnt look likely to sell out so unsold tickets will likely be available pre match. Need to see if there is a rush this week though. With the size of away support St Mirren have carried this season they might sell out the stand so they were sent all the tickets for it. Presuming they return unsold tickets they will be available on the day but we will know more towards the end of the week.

Does that mean if they sell out the stand in advance, there won’t be any tickets for them on the day, so the away terracing won’t be open?

9 minutes ago, Flash said:

Does that mean if they sell out the stand in advance, there won’t be any tickets for them on the day, so the away terracing won’t be open?

It's all in the timing. If they sell out the stand by midweek the terrace will be opened. If it appears they won't need the terrace and then sell all the tickets on Friday then it won't be open. It can't be organised to be open in a day. We need to bring portaloos in and organise additional stewarding and catering to open the terrace.  People need notice. At this moment there is no intention to open the terrace.  We'll be in touch with St Mirren this week and see where they are at in sales, though going by sales as of yesterday it doesn't look likely they will be anywhere near 900 sales. However, they may have sold a bundle today with it now being their next game and them being top of the League. They have had four figure away crowds in the Central Belt this season and took about 700 to Inverness a few weeks ago. I suspect with it being so close to Xmas they'll nowhere near sell it out and tickets will probably be available on the day but at this stage we can't guarantee it.

21 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's all in the timing. If they sell out the stand by midweek the terrace will be opened. If it appears they won't need the terrace and then sell all the tickets on Friday then it won't be open. It can't be organised to be open in a day. We need to bring portaloos in and organise additional stewarding and catering to open the terrace.  People need notice. At this moment there is no intention to open the terrace.  We'll be in touch with St Mirren this week and see where they are at in sales, though going by sales as of yesterday it doesn't look likely they will be anywhere near 900 sales. However, they may have sold a bundle today with it now being their next game and them being top of the League. They have had four figure away crowds in the Central Belt this season and took about 700 to Inverness a few weeks ago. I suspect with it being so close to Xmas they'll nowhere near sell it out and tickets will probably be available on the day but at this stage we can't guarantee it.

So if they sold all the stand tickets on the Friday, the terracing won’t open. So, what happens if hundreds more show up on the day?  Or if 800 are sold on Friday and 200 more show up on Saturday? Probably hypothetical, but there would then be an empty terracing capable of holding 2,000 and we would be turning people away. Or, more likely, having them in the home sections.

Why not just open the terracing and organise everything now? Does it really cost that much more to open it, even if they only end up bringing 800? The home terracing is open every week when everybody could be accommodated in the 2 stands, sometimes when everybody could be accommodated in one stand. So, the cost can’t be all that prohibative when we currently have areas open that aren’t needed. Would it not be worth the extra cost in order to ensure that any possibilty of turning people away, or having them in the home sections, is avoided?

I have to say I'd be in favour of the wee terrace being open even with smaller crowds. As Flash asks, does it cost a lot more to open it? I'd be shocked if it did, given there isn't any catering around there and they enter/exit at the same place as the stand support. I assume some red tape health and safety piece of shite is the reason behind not doing it every match.

I've laboured this point before, but I'd like all four sides open as often as makes any kind of sense.  I'm guessing the costs may be reasonably significant in terms of a stewarding, and that's a decent argument against opening it all the time.  When the away crowd is expected to be quite large though, it should just be opened to avoid the uncertainty and afford our guests some choice.

As Flash says, we could cope without opening the home terracing most weeks, but wisely don't close it, so the financial argument doesn't automatically trump all others.

A repeat of the stupidity involved when staging the Cup tie against St Johnstone three years ago, should be avoided.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

14 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I have to say I'd be in favour of the wee terrace being open even with smaller crowds. As Flash asks, does it cost a lot more to open it? I'd be shocked if it did, given there isn't any catering around there and they enter/exit at the same place as the stand support. I assume some red tape health and safety piece of shite is the reason behind not doing it every match.

Er, there is a catering unit round there, and fans don't enter / exit at the same place as the stand support. They both enter from and exit to Terregles Street. And as noted, if it's open we need to hire portaloos and get them brought in with a crane. There's also the additional complication currently of the work being done on the floodlights at that end which will restrict the area of terracing available for use and require bringing in more Heras fencing to keep fans away from the scaffolding if they are on that terrace.

We'll discuss the position after consultation with St Mirren midweek. Until then I'm not in a position to confirm anything about away sales on Saturday and the only absolutely definite way to make sure of attending as a St Mirren fan is to buy a ticket from St Mirren who have all the away tickets at the moment.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Er, there is a catering unit round there, and fans don't enter / exit at the same place as the stand support. They both enter from and exit to Terregles Street. And as noted, if it's open we need to hire portaloos and get them brought in with a crane. There's also the additional complication currently of the work being done on the floodlights at that end which will restrict the area of terracing available for use and require bringing in more Heras fencing to keep fans away from the scaffolding if they are on that terrace.
We'll discuss the position after consultation with St Mirren midweek. Until then I'm not in a position to confirm anything about away sales on Saturday and the only absolutely definite way to make sure of attending as a St Mirren fan is to buy a ticket from St Mirren who have all the way tickets at the moment.

You're telling me they couldn't enter the terrace via the stand? If they could there would be no need for catering around there is the point I'm making. Similarly there would be no need for portaloos.

If they can't enter via the East Stand then it's understandable why it isn't open but if they are easily able to access it via there (which I thought they could) then I don't understand why it can't be opened.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

You're telling me they couldn't enter the terrace via the stand? If they could there would be no need for catering around there is the point I'm making. Similarly there would be no need for portaloos.

If they can't enter via the East Stand then it's understandable why it isn't open but if they are easily able to access it via there (which I thought they could) then I don't understand why it can't be opened.

There is a (normally locked) gate between the Rosefield Salvage Stand and the Terrace which could in theory be used to access it but wouldn't be allowed in scenarios where the stand is near full as there would be a danger of the stand being over capacity at any given time if there was free movement to a terrace and a total support in excess of the stand capacity. Also, there is a restricted limit to the number of entries per turnstile. It's a self defeating scenario. If the support is big enough to justify opening the away terrace at all then it's too big to allow free movement between the two.

Anyway, in present circumstances, as direct access between the stand and terrace means walking past the base of the floodlights, I'd imagine the scaffolding that is there at the moment renders that route unusable anyway.  And that certainly won't be getting dismantled this week just to allow terracing use.

You could open the terrace for smaller supports where we know the attendance will be below the away stand capacity and allow transfer direct via the internal gate (accepting it's probably not possible at the moment due to that scaffolding) but it would still need extra stewarding so its not going to happen.

There is a (normally locked) gate between the Rosefield Salvage Stand and the Terrace which could in theory be used to access it but wouldn't be allowed in scenarios where the stand is near full as there would be a danger of the stand being over capacity at any given time if there was free movement to a terrace and a total support in excess of the stand capacity. Also, there is a restricted limit to the number of entries per turnstile. It's a self defeating scenario. If the support is big enough to justify opening the away terrace at all then it's too big to allow free movement between the two.
Anyway, in present circumstances, as direct access between the stand and terrace means walking past the base of the floodlights, I'd imagine the scaffolding that is there at the moment renders that route unusable anyway.  And that certainly won't be getting dismantled this week just to allow terracing use.
You could open the terrace for smaller supports where we know the attendance will be below the away stand capacity and allow transfer direct via the internal gate (accepting it's probably not possible at the moment due to that scaffolding) but it would still need extra stewarding so its not going to happen.

Aye I was questioning whether it could be open for smaller supports. Going by what you've said I think I was correct in thinking it would be doable with the only extra requirement being a couple more stewards.

Before you even consider opening the Terregles Street End I think someone from the club should perhaps try taking a walk on it . I have it on good authority it’s currently not fit for purpose

Remind us again when was it last used or even maintained ?

Last season.

1 hour ago, Steeplechat said:

Before you even consider opening the Terregles Street End I think someone from the club should perhaps try taking a walk on it . I have it on good authority it’s currently not fit for purpose

Remind us again when was it last used or even maintained ?

It's been used several times in recent seasons.

Six times against Rangers that I can think of.  Twice against Hearts.  I think three times against Hibs and once against Falkirk.  I've maybe missed a couple.

It is still in surprisingly poor shape though.  I'd love to see it tidied up, but obviously that costs money.

4 minutes ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

Personally I would like to see the Terregles Street terracing levelled and replaced by a semi permanent seated stand similar to the one behind the goals at Ryedale.
Obviously a stand similar to the East Stand would be preferable but costs would prohibit.

I'd prefer terracing, now that it's permitted at all levels in Scotland.  It could maybe do with a roof though and that again would be expensive.

It's been used several times in recent seasons.
Six times against Rangers that I can think of.  Twice against Hearts.  I think three times against Hibs and once against Falkirk.  I've maybe missed a couple.
It is still in surprisingly poor shape though.  I'd love to see it tidied up, but obviously that costs money.

Yes I know when it’s been used MT but by all accounts it’s needs work done to it again and a major clean up . Have Queens the money or time to do that if ST Mirren sell all their tickets by midweek ? I very much doubt it