The Queen of the South thread

59 minutes ago, NM_1919 said:

There’s no doubt the defenders are at fault for all three. Something that probably can’t be thrown at them much this season as generally they’ve been decent

The defence seemed to be better when Martin was playing with his injury. Since he has (apparently) recovered, the defending has got worse.

1 minute ago, Flash said:

The defence seemed to be better when Martin was playing with his injury. Since he has (apparently) recovered, the defending has got worse.

The defence has been poorer since Callum Fordyce wasn't in it. Remains to be seen if that's a coincidence (yes I know he played in the Livingston game).

Folk from behind the goal clearly heard it and the sheepish look on Brownlie's face would also suggest he heard it.

It would also depend on when he heard it of course, if the keeper has given him a late shout I'd put all the blame on the keepers door, of course it's impossible to determine when he did.

There's allot to be said for if the keeper has put his name on it early, and is a good position to receive the ball he should be clearing out Brownlie.

It would also depend on when he heard it of course, if the keeper has given him a late shout I'd put all the blame on the keepers door, of course it's impossible to determine when he did.

There's allot to be said for if the keeper has put his name on it early, and is a good position to receive the ball he should be clearing out Brownlie.

There's no need for him to clear out Brownlie though. It was an easy ball to take and he was going to gather it rather than have to go up and catch it. See the photos. Brownlie listens to the call and there is absolutely no danger there.

There's no need for him to clear out Brownlie though. It was an easy ball to take and he was going to gather it rather than have to go up and catch it. See the photos. Brownlie listens to the call and there is absolutely no danger there.
As before, if he's already going for the ball a late shout can't stop that.

If it was an easy ball to take then he should have got it, he's got a better reach than Brownlie and a more commanding presence would have negated any efforts by Brownlie. If you shout for it, you get it. If you're shouting for it you should judge yourself to be in the best position out of your teammates to get that ball, in which case anyone who doesn't manage to get out the way is just collateral.

As before, if he's already going for the ball a late shout can't stop that.

If it was an easy ball to take then he should have got it, he's got a better reach than Brownlie and a more commanding presence would have negated any efforts by Brownlie. If you shout for it, you get it. If you're shouting for it you should judge yourself to be in the best position out of your teammates to get that ball, in which case anyone who doesn't manage to get out the way is just collateral.

He would have got it had Brownlie not headed it. It's that simple. Brownlie has clearly heard the shout and still headed the ball and made an arse of it. If that wasn't the case I'm sure he would have at least protested with Martin after the goal.

It changed the game no doubt. Wasn't long after they had their second. Had the first goal for them not of happened then we could of possibly been safe till half time where I thought we were comfortable up to that point in the game. Who knows after that. It's a disappointing result considering our strong start to the match.

49 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The defence has been poorer since Callum Fordyce wasn't in it. Remains to be seen if that's a coincidence (yes I know he played in the Livingston game).

Indeed, he played in that debacle scoring an og in the process. So I doubt whether him not playing has had any material effect. But, I agree that Mercer isn’t as good. However, I was thinking more about the centre of defence in any case.  It could also be that teams are getting wise about how to score against us (apart from waiting for the gifts to be presented).

1 minute ago, Flash said:

Indeed, he played in that debacle scoring an og in the process. So I doubt whether him not playing has had any material effect. But, I agree that Mercer isn’t as good. However, I was thinking more about the centre of defence in any case.  It could also be that teams are getting wise about how to score against us (apart from waiting for the gifts to be presented).

He is the main organiser back there though even from full back, and a central defensive marker at set plays. I think it has an effect.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He is the main organiser back there though even from full back, and a central defensive marker at set plays. I think it has an effect.

We’ve conceded 10 goals in the last 5 games. He was playing when 4 of them were conceded (scoring one of them himself) so that leaves 6. The Dumbarton one came from a cross from our left and Kerr was marking the guy who scored at the near post. So that leaves 5. He would have played no part in Brownlie’s mistake on Saturday or his poor attempt at defending for the second. So Fordyce’s absence may have contributed to the third on Saturday and the 2 at Dunfermline.  His absence may have had a little impact on the defending, but I’m not convinced that there aren’t additional problems.

59 minutes ago, Flash said:

We’ve conceded 10 goals in the last 5 games. He was playing when 4 of them were conceded (scoring one of them himself) so that leaves 6. The Dumbarton one came from a cross from our left and Kerr was marking the guy who scored at the near post. So that leaves 5. He would have played no part in Brownlie’s mistake on Saturday or his poor attempt at defending for the second. So Fordyce’s absence may have contributed to the third on Saturday and the 2 at Dunfermline.  His absence may have had a little impact on the defending, but I’m not convinced that there aren’t additional problems.

I'm not saying it's a cure all and I wasn't specifically referring just to the goals lost. I just think we look more solid when Fordyce plays. It was an observation intended as a counter point to your suggestion that we were better when Martin was injured.

11 minutes ago, TeeMan said:

He's done.

Not sure I'd go that far but he certainly has no pace at all. He's got great vision, his delivery is still there, he rarely loses the ball and that long throw is an additional weapon. However, he can't beat an opponent with pace and once any opponent gets past him he's certainly not going catch them.

His best game for us was in central midfield v TNS and he also played well at Montrose a couple of times. He's been a bit part player in Championship games generally though.

I think he could do a job for someone sitting behind the front man with few defensive responsibilities, just pulling the strings but it's a job Dobbie already does better for us and he has goals as well. If we didn't have Dobbie McFadden would be far more important for us.