The Queen of the South thread

3 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Agile keeper who is excellent with ball at his feet. I would have said that he was suspect at cross balls but having witnessed the much heralded Alan Martin in action I would say that he is competent by comparison.

I'd say Robinson would do a great job at that level. TBH if you get promoted he'll do not a bad job at our level either. As RJC says we havent exactly been jumping with joy at his replacement.

I'd say Robinson would do a great job at that level. TBH if you get promoted he'll do not a bad job at our level either. As RJC says we havent exactly been jumping with joy at his replacement.

He's been injured tbf to the guy. He's made a couple of really good stops so you can see he has ability. I've still not made my mind up on him but I wouldn't call him a flop at this stage, far from it. He is suspect at crosses but then every QoS 'keeper seems to be so I'm not sure people can hold it against him. Folk used to love Colin Scott and he was one of the worst.

In modern times, what GK would folk say commanded their box at crosses? On the few occasions I saw him Ludo Roy certainly did. Robinson didn't always get to it but he would attempt to go for crosses [emoji38]

He's been injured tbf to the guy. He's made a couple of really good stops so you can see he has ability. I've still not made my mind up on him but I wouldn't call him a flop at this stage, far from it. He is suspect at crosses but then every QoS 'keeper seems to be so I'm not sure people can hold it against him. Folk used to love Colin Scott and he was one of the worst.

In modern times, what GK would folk say commanded their box at crosses? On the few occasions I saw him Ludo Roy certainly did. Robinson didn't always get to it but he would attempt to go for crosses [emoji38]

Aye to be fair I was coming round to MARTIN and he seems a decent guy. However that absolute farce of a St Mirren 1st goal was worse than anything Robinson ever did IMO and regardless of Brownlies role In it Martin was never getting there and was severely caught out. I think Allan Ball might have been decent at crosses. My old favourite Barney was a bit hair raising at crosses in the 80s.

Aye to be fair I was coming round to MARTIN and he seems a decent guy. However that absolute farce of a St Mirren 1st goal was worse than anything Robinson ever did IMO and regardless of Brownlies role In it Martin was never getting there and was severely caught out. I think Allan Ball might have been decent at crosses. My old favourite Barney was a bit hair raising at crosses in the 80s.

I know I probably over defend our GK's but there's no danger that goal was Martin's fault. He came out to command his area (something he gets criticised for not doing enough!) and put his name on the ball. The only way he receives blame in that instance is if he drops the ball. As an outfielder, if you hear "Keeper!" you should be doing nothing as the GK clearly feels they are going to get there. In this case he absolutely would have got there if Brownlie hadn't headered it. Seriously, rewatch the goal, the ball was literally going to drop into Martin's arms until Brownlie headed it. It was 100% Brownlie to blame there and given he never argued with Martin after it suggests he heard the shout and just ignored it.

Keep an eye on the ball and AM's arms. It's dropping right in until the header [emoji6]

Ok. While I see your point the problem for me is that Reilly is right there and unless Martin comes and claims or punches the ball Brownlie can’t leave it as Reilly can nick it. As it happens Gav pulls out and gets lucky. For me it’s a poor decision to come for it in the first place but once he comes he has to put his first through it (and Brownlie if necessary).
That said Brownlie ffs!

2 hours ago, steakpiegravy said:

See Dunfermline midweek away last year where Robinson and Brownlie had a mix up from a long ball. 

See Dunfermline midweek away last year where Robinson and Brownlie had a mix up from a long ball. 

There’s a common denominator in all of this!
He has improved slightly but it can’t be forgotten that he was part of the Cowdenbeath defence who was relegated a few seasons ago with a horrendous goals conceded record!!!

Ok. While I see your point the problem for me is that Reilly is right there and unless Martin comes and claims or punches the ball Brownlie can’t leave it as Reilly can nick it. As it happens Gav pulls out and gets lucky. For me it’s a poor decision to come for it in the first place but once he comes he has to put his first through it (and Brownlie if necessary).
That said Brownlie ffs!

Nope, I don't see anyone other than Brownlie to blame here. If Martin hadn't shouted then he would rightly take the flack but I think it's been well established he clearly shouted for it so Brownlie should have left well alone.

bae05e4231640823c1e4205894a22469.jpg

b36a0d5e74445ab33af554b5099be688.jpg

I've frozen the two photos in about the best positions. As I said, you remove Brownlie from that and the ball is dropping right into Martin's arms. There is no danger Reilly is getting close to that. Look at the second picture, Reilly probably wasn't going to go for it after the shout anyway. Martin was commanding his box and had Brownlie listened we'd have been applauding AM for a job well done.

There’s no way you can say Martin coming for THAT ball is a good decision. It’s a 2v1 on the very edge of the box. He stays on his line and shouts clear it. If I’m Brownlie and I hear “Keeper!” in his position is the keeper coming to claim? or am I supposed to pass it back to the keeper? Brownlie clearly in the heat of the moment interpreted the shout as a request for a back header. IMO Martin has no right to expect Brownlie to leave it with Gavin there and should have stayed on his line. It’s basically a cock up but Martin isn’t blameless.

There’s no way you can say Martin coming for THAT ball is a good decision. It’s a 2v1 on the very edge of the box. He stays on his line and shouts clear it. If I’m Brownlie and I hear “Keeper!” in his position is the keeper coming to claim? or am I supposed to pass it back to the keeper? Brownlie clearly in the heat of the moment interpreted the shout as a request for a back header. IMO Martin has no right to expect Brownlie to leave it with Gavin there and should have stayed on his line. It’s basically a cock up but Martin isn’t blameless.

If a player hears "'keeper" they leave well alone. That's why the shout comes. In the same way a defender going up for a header puts their name on it. Putting your name on the ball is schoolboy stuff and is totally different from requesting the ball.

As I say, Martin is commanding his area and has absolutely every right to come for that ball and would have comfortably collected had Brownlie left it. I see no fault on Martin's part here.

With all this stuff of did the keeper shout and was it misinterpreted etc I think the manager needs to quickly lay the law down of what exactly he expects in those types of situations. I am not blaming the manager. I lay my blame mostly at brownlie for doing a useless back header. If in doubt get it out. Yes the fans and I would of bemoaned conceding a corner in that situation but that would be far better and give the team chance to regroup than what happened on the day. I lay small amount of blame with Alan Martin purely for not getting the message through to brownlie to leave the ball alone or to clear it. I was in the main stand I didn't hear a shout. In that situation Alan Martin needs to be loud and clear what he wants to happen.

Anyway it's in the past I simply want the manager to express crystal clear instructions on the issue and it doesn't happen again. Enjoyed the game on Saturday despite the result and the injuries.

"'Keeper!" means the GK is coming for it. It's absolute basic stuff and I'm surprised folk are questioning the interpretation. "Away!" would likely be what AM would shout if he wanted it cleared and something like "'keeper's on" if he wanted the head back.

In the heat of the moment you don't exactly have time to go into detail! I can't imagine AM shouting "Keeper! By which I mean I'm coming to collect!"

"'Keeper!" means the GK is coming for it. It's absolute basic stuff and I'm surprised folk are questioning the interpretation. "Away!" would likely be what AM would shout if he wanted it cleared and something like "'keeper's on" if he wanted the head back.

In the heat of the moment you don't exactly have time to go into detail! I can't imagine AM shouting "Keeper! By which I mean I'm coming to collect!"
Was a shout made. Like I say I didn't hear one from where I was.

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

"Go Home" is what they shout if they want it passed back. "Keeper" if the keeper is coming for it and defenders should get out of the way. "Away" if they want it cleared.

"Go Home" is what they shout if they want it passed back. "Keeper" if the keeper is coming for it and defenders should get out of the way. "Away" if they want it cleared.

Close enough then. But backs up my point that "Keeper" is a signal for the outfielders to leave the ball.