The Queen of the South thread

Steven Thompson on Sportscene this evening touting Dobbie for Hibs [emoji849]

Fair play to him. It's not the most ridiculous suggestion and with service Dobbs could absolutely do a job at that level.

Clearly I don't want him going but it's nice for him to receive such a compliment.

8 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

We really need to somehow get a forward  in with pace.

Ferguson has done okay but he has no pace and I just can't see him score goals for us .

Not looking like we will sign anyone before the window closes we really need experience but I suppose that cost money just have to go with the young boys who sadly won't get us into the playoffs 

Seriously now stop being so negative. It's doing my head in. Injured players are coming back, the youth players are starting to contribute and look like they can feature on a regular basis for the first team, we are strongly in contention for the play-off places as it stands. We won yesterday. 100th year of the club is upon us. Cheer up. 

Perhaps when you next feel negative about the club don't post on here and look for some positivity instead. I not having a go here just cheer up please. It's not the end of the world stuff.

18 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Fair play to him. It's not the most ridiculous suggestion and with service Dobbs could absolutely do a job at that level.

Clearly I don't want him going but it's nice for him to receive such a compliment.

He got another one during the results programme on BBC Scotland yesterday.  Darryl Broadfoot was saying that Dundee United should go for him.  

People seem to struggle with the fact he's at us.

On 27/01/2018 at 09:48, steakpiegravy said:

I’m sure plenty of educated people wouldn’t know it’s a Herring gull actually - why pick on the uneducated?

You're most likely correct on that one. Not really picking on any particular group to be fair.

13 minutes ago, NOTS said:

Thompson and Stewart obviously don't know he's contracted to Queens until May 2019.

They might, or they might not. They certainly know he is contracted here just now though and still suggested it. If those clubs were interested and he wanted to go its unlikely the size of transfer fee would put them off is it?

I doubt he has any interest in playing for either. He has made it clear he intends to finish his playing career here and that he doesnt want to move from Lytham. I doubt playing and training in Dundee would hold any attractions. He does have a certain affinity to Hibs having been there before but he was with Lennon at Bolton and barely got any game time. 

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

He got another one during the results programme on BBC Scotland yesterday.  Darryl Broadfoot was saying that Dundee United should go for him.  

People seem to struggle with the fact he's at us.

A Saints fan on one of our forums was saying at the start of the window we should sign him and Jai Quitongo. He seemed to think we could sign them just by asking really, really nicely. Either that or he wanted us to go the other extreme and bundle them into a van in the middle of the night.

It was the equivalent of Queens or Morton fans saying they should sign Lewis Morgan.

Edited by Stu

13 minutes ago, Stu said:

A Saints fan on one of our forums was saying at the start of the window we should sign him and Jai Quitongo. He seemed to think we could sign them just by asking really, really nicely. Either that or he wanted us to go the other extreme and bundle them into a van in the middle of the night.

It was the equivalent of Queens or Morton fans saying they should sign Lewis Morgan.

There's a perception that bigger club can generally just acquire smaller club's players if they fancy it.

I remember our fans making similar noises when an Annan striker looked lively against us in an August League Cup tie a couple of years ago.

Obviously, there is a food chain, but the reality is that contracted players don't often shift around between middling sides, because fees are needed.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They might, or they might not. They certainly know he is contracted here just now though and still suggested it. If those clubs were interested and he wanted to go its unlikely the size of transfer fee would put them off is it?

I doubt he has any interest in playing for either. He has made it clear he intends to finish his playing career here and that he doesnt want to move from Lytham. I doubt playing and training in Dundee would hold any attractions. He does have a certain affinity to Hibs having been there before but he was with Lennon at Bolton and barely got any game time. 

As you say, I don't think they realise he wants to finish his career at Palmerston.

Many footballers' contracts will have a release clause in them where a club can talk to the player if they agree to pay a certain fee. Not sure if that is the case with Dobbie, but realistically if Hibs or a bigger/richer club wanted him and he wanted to go, there is little to stop a move without conflict. 

I imagine that Dobbie has leeway at Queens that he is unlikely to be allowed at many other clubs, things such as the days he trains, overnight accommodation and the like. He can get this preferential treatment due to the service he's given and the fact that he is such a great player at SC level. 

What makes Dobbie a true legend IMHO is not just the way he talks fondly about the club and how he puts the team before himself as an individual but that you can totally believe that he genuinely wants to help take the club to the next level. That sort of attitude and respect is relatively rare in modern football. Dobbie and his family have obviously been extremely well looked after by Queens and that is to the credit of all who has been involved, from the Chairman and the Board, matchday staff and the fans. 

It might be good if Dobbie (when he retires) gets a testimonial from the club. I appreciate that this would set a precedent as he will not have completed anything like ten years service, but he has been such a wonderful player and ambassador  for the club, that I don't think anyone would grudge him it, and it would be an opportunity for the fans to thank him.  I'm not one for making individual players club ambassadors, but this would also be a fitting legacy and I'm sure he and his family would be welcome at any Queens home game post retirement. 

9 hours ago, Steeplechat said:

It’s not been in all the newspapers or all over the internet has it ..?

The seagull strikes again :(

No it hasn't but if you read between the lines then this is the answer.

Herring Gulls remember....

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/herring-gull/

Edited by NOTS

You lads are getting a Montrose player down for a trial, not sure when it's happening.Liam Callaghan decent enough player played very well both games against you lot.

What's he like any good

11 hours ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

Many footballers' contracts will have a release clause in them where a club can talk to the player if they agree to pay a certain fee. Not sure if that is the case with Dobbie, but realistically if Hibs or a bigger/richer club wanted him and he wanted to go, there is little to stop a move without conflict. 

I imagine that Dobbie has leeway at Queens that he is unlikely to be allowed at many other clubs, things such as the days he trains, overnight accommodation and the like. He can get this preferential treatment due to the service he's given and the fact that he is such a great player at SC level. 

What makes Dobbie a true legend IMHO is not just the way he talks fondly about the club and how he puts the team before himself as an individual but that you can totally believe that he genuinely wants to help take the club to the next level. That sort of attitude and respect is relatively rare in modern football. Dobbie and his family have obviously been extremely well looked after by Queens and that is to the credit of all who has been involved, from the Chairman and the Board, matchday staff and the fans. 

It might be good if Dobbie (when he retires) gets a testimonial from the club. I appreciate that this would set a precedent as he will not have completed anything like ten years service, but he has been such a wonderful player and ambassador  for the club, that I don't think anyone would grudge him it, and it would be an opportunity for the fans to thank him.  I'm not one for making individual players club ambassadors, but this would also be a fitting legacy and I'm sure he and his family would be welcome at any Queens home game post retirement. 

I just hope that one day Dobbie takes up a coaching position/managerial position with Queens. I am sure, eventually, that Garry and Dougie will move on and  Dobbs, in my opinion, would be very welcome by the fans. Whether or not that will happen is for the future but in the days of very highly paid footballers who want, and get, whatever they ask for it is great to hear an interview with Dobbs where you can see his love for the club. Not many employees show that level of loyalty. So a testimonial yes but let's keep him at Palmerston...now what about his statue?