The Queen of the South thread

4 hours ago, temps15 said:

reported in the sun this morning that if Andy Stirling moves to Dumbarton (more likely on loan) then there is the possibility that we could bring Dom Thomas back on loan.

Nice. ;)

2 hours ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

Disagree. Many great footballers have made poor managers.  Has Dobbie taken any coaching badges?

I'd imagine if Dobbie wants to stay in Lytham then managing in the Scottish lower leagues isn't going to work. Which is good for those like me who want to keep the memory of the club legend intact.

This is the one thing I dont get! Why fans rate Dom Thomas! For me after starting well he was soon found out and was utterly abysmal the rest of his spell last season. He was so predictable and lightweight. Its been the same story at every team hes been at. Motherwell promising start then fades into obscurity, Killie the same. Scotland u21s the same where he looked way out of his depth. Id rather we kept Stirling. I guarantee he will start well again before his performances take a spectacular nosedive

3 hours ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

Disagree. Many great footballers have made poor managers.  Has Dobbie taken any coaching badges?

Dobbie has either completed his UEFA coaching badges or is in the middle of doing them, as he has coached the youth teams at Palmerston. 

This is the one thing I dont get! Why fans rate Dom Thomas! For me after starting well he was soon found out and was utterly abysmal the rest of his spell last season. He was so predictable and lightweight. Its been the same story at every team hes been at. Motherwell promising start then fades into obscurity, Killie the same. Scotland u21s the same where he looked way out of his depth. Id rather we kept Stirling. I guarantee he will start well again before his performances take a spectacular nosedive

Oh dear.

Stevie Aitken saying he hopes to have a deal announced tonight or tomorrow, there's a bit of build up to the signing posted on our OS and twitter which makes me think it will be a fan pleaser. Andy Stirling would be exactly that (so would Lyle tbh, who we've also been linked with).

1 hour ago, football maniac said:

Even if any of that was true, which it blatantly isn't, we'd still be swapping a player who starts well before fading for a player who has yet to get started.

As previously stated, it would be a fantastic piece of business.

3 hours ago, football maniac said:

Dom Thomas could be a better fit within the current team as opposed to Andy Stirling. Who knows I would like Stirling to stay but I would prefer Dom Thomas over Stirling 

Imo, Thomas wasn’t all that great playing on the right. Although we didn’t see much of him on the left, I thought he might play better there. I’m guessing if Naysmith is carrying on with the present formation he will replace Dykes? I don’t know whether Thomas will be hugely better there than Stirling because I’ve not seen him playing there.

As others have said, we haven’t seen the best of Stirling, but not sure how much of that is down to him not getting a run in the team. Murray has been picked ahead of him and I’m not seeing why that is.

Thomas may be an upgrade on the Stirling we have seen, but I’m not sure that it is a fantastic piece of business. More like an all right piece of business imo. The most positive aspect, I suppose, might be if Stirling returns to form playing for Dumbarton and they take points off some of our rivals.

The other thought that occurs to me is that I’m not sure why anybody has to leave if Thomas is coming back. We have already lost 4 senior players (before Stirling left) and we have brought in 3.  So Thomas would just be bringing the numbers back to what they were. Maybe with Stirling going, there are two players coming in, to make it 5 out and 5 in.  At the moment, it is 5 out and 3 in (or 6 out and 4 in if we include Akubuine and Fergusson).