The Queen of the South thread

Funny game that. Motherwell made it really difficult for us to play. A lot of air time with plenty high balls up to Sammon where he was in his element. We couldn't seem to touch him today, claimed every ball was his own and used his strengths to his advantage.

In spells I felt we showed a lot of promise and can feel hard done by not to have scored at least one of our chances with the head. Just lacked that killer instinct going forward and felt a little shot shy today perhaps.

We made a decent account of ourselves though against a physical premiership side and with a few loan signings to come in to add depth I think we might just do alright this season!

1 minute ago, Highlandhamer said:

Funny game that. Motherwell made it really difficult for us to play. A lot of air time with plenty high balls up to Sammon where he was in his element. We couldn't seem to touch him today, claimed every ball was his own and used his strengths to his advantage.

In spells I felt we showed a lot of promise and can feel hard done by not to have scored at least one of our chances with the head. Just lacked that killer instinct going forward and felt a little shot shy today perhaps.

We made a decent account of ourselves though against a physical premiership side and with a few loan signings to come in to add depth I think we might just do alright this season!

Loan signings coming in? Really Hope yer right... 

Motherwells keeper won man of the match. Says a lot.

It says the sponsors were watching another game. He made 3 good saves in the first half and a cracker in the second. It may have been different outcome had we got that early goal but 'Well won the game comfortably tonight. Number 7 for them had a better game.

Sorry to be told about Allan Ball.     In the early 70s  I used to watch him and was gobsmaked at some of the saves that he did.     tried to be like him but failed miserably.   I was not worthy.

First time on here.    Listened to the highlights of the Motherwell game and QOS had there chances.       Please let me know if was the same Salmond  that ripped us apart at Palmerston against

Patrick Th.  in the cup                I believe we are still weak in the back however what can we do with the limited budget.     

Looked at the money for the Betfred Cup and was surprised:

5th      £17000

4th     £19000

3th    £21000

4 RunnersUp     £25000

2nd  Round Loosers     (after group stage)   £35000

QF Loosers win   £60000

SF Loosers win    £80000]

It would be nice for us to do well

I will likely be wrong with the prize money and SD will tell us however, this is big money for QOS and I hope they can make it further.

QOS

By the way QOSTV90  is great.     I am sick when I am Abroad when I have to buy Falkirk, Dumferline , Dundee Utd etc to see my team either getting beat or winning

Bit fed up of defence bashing on here.

if your midfield 4 don’t track back then any defence will have a tough time.

Doyle was moved to more a holding role in midfield and it looked more solid.

i thought the battling of theback four last night was excellent, especially Semple.

travelling fans were great by the way!!

Bit fed up of defence bashing on here.
if your midfield 4 don’t track back then any defence will have a tough time.
Doyle was moved to more a holding role in midfield and it looked more solid.
i thought the battling of theback four last night was excellent, especially Semple.
travelling fans were great by the way!!

The first goal the midfield tried to put in challenges (even Dobbie!) but the pace was too fast. Sammon then completely drifted past Mercer and Fordyce and neither were aware of where he was. So they rightly take the blame for the first. The second Fordyce's footing isn't great but that's more harsh to blame him that time.

I agree, the midfield should track back and prevent the ball coming in, but marking is a basic defensive duty and they failed to do it for the first yesterday (and more than once already this season) so it's understandable they are questioned.

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

The first goal the midfield tried to put in challenges (even Dobbie!) but the pace was too fast. Sammon then completely drifted past Mercer and Fordyce and neither were aware of where he was. So they rightly take the blame for the first. The second Fordyce's footing isn't great but that's more harsh to blame him that time.

I agree, the midfield should track back and prevent the ball coming in, but marking is a basic defensive duty and they failed to do it for the first yesterday (and more than once already this season) so it's understandable they are questioned.

Great support last night who got right behind our young CB semple when he was getting abuse from the Motherwell fans. I really enjoyed the game. Set up to score in the first half but didn't take our chances. Tighter in the second and a clean second half sheet.  we will be fine this year. We must remember this is a new young back 4 and still need time to settle in. the managers ability to alter the set up gives me encouragement

Great support last night who got right behind our young CB semple when he was getting abuse from the Motherwell fans. I really enjoyed the game. Set up to score in the first half but didn't take our chances. Tighter in the second and a clean second half sheet.  we will be fine this year. We must remember this is a new young back 4 and still need time to settle in. the managers ability to alter the set up gives me encouragement
They are still relatively young but they have had plenty of experience. 3 of the 4 were in our back 4 for the majority of last season. I'm not advocating our players being constantly criticised, but at the same time folk can't expect the fans not to air their views.

Question the defence but apart from a sloppy half hour against Stranraer it’s two clean sheets plus a clean sheet against Hearts.

clean sheets against Clyde and Edinburgh and we all say the opposition was poor. 

Score 7 goals and no mention of the  opposition it’s just great attacking play.....

it’s a fine balance but going back to the first goal last night. If the midfield does the defensive part of their game correctly the all doesn’t get through to the back four.

forwards miss chances.... aw well that’s unlucky. A defender makes an error they get nailed.....

seems to me the abysmal defending of last season will hang over the current back four whether they keep clean sheets or not.

Football thankfully is about opinions

people don’t always agree, but that is why we love it.

i was a dirty big defender and will back our defence when I feel it is correct.

if we concede a goal a game I expect a positive result.

both our defence and forwards are more than capable of this on the first 4 games so far.

Question the defence but apart from a sloppy half hour against Stranraer it’s two clean sheets plus a clean sheet against Hearts.
clean sheets against Clyde and Edinburgh and we all say the opposition was poor. 
Score 7 goals and no mention of the  opposition it’s just great attacking play.....
it’s a fine balance but going back to the first goal last night. If the midfield does the defensive part of their game correctly the all doesn’t get through to the back four.
forwards miss chances.... aw well that’s unlucky. A defender makes an error they get nailed.....
seems to me the abysmal defending of last season will hang over the current back four whether they keep clean sheets or not.
The defending will be criticised if we continue to defend as poorly as last season, of course it will! Are you suggesting if we win 2-0 in a match folk will be more focussed on criticising the defence than enjoying the win?

Guest Flash

We have gone from conceding an average of 40 goals in our first 2 seasons back in this division to an average of 54 goals in the last 3 seasons. That is a 35% increase. And in 14/15 we conceded 41 when the league included Hearts, Hibs and Rangers who scored 235 goals between them.

In the first 2 seasons, we were ranked 3rd and 4th in terms of goals against. Last season we were 8th.

In terms of goals scored, first 2 seasons we were 5th and 4th. Last season we were 3rd.

Make of this what you will.

Disappointed with last night, but not disheartened. Before the game, Motherwell had scored 16 and conceded 0 in their last 5 at Fir Park, they’ve made it an absolute Fortress.

we might get away with the 4-4-2 in the championship, but definitely got found out last night. To be fair, if we hadn’t sat so deep for the first half they wouldn’t have got 2 goals. The 4-2-3-1 after the break looked far more solid, seems to waste Lyndon a bit out wide however (not that he did too much upfront either last night, but he’s a far bigger threat there). We’re at least £25’000 up, probably £35’000 (+ a potential big tie against a Celtic, Rangers, Hibs etc). A pleasing start to the season, and one the gives us a fantastic platform to build on in the league. 

ps. we need another striker asap 

Just now, 19QOS19 said:
9 minutes ago, SueSue said:

The defending will be criticised if we continue to defend as poorly as last season, of course it will! Are you suggesting if we win 2-0 in a match folk will be more focussed on criticising the defence than enjoying the win?

Of course I am not saying that.

what I am saying if we draw say 1 1 .......as it stands quite a few will target the defence for conceding and not the front line for not taking their chances.

The defence is clearly in better shape than last season even with the inclusion of only Semple.

how many clean sheets do we need to move forward from Last season?

do you think the forward line deserve the same critique for missing several chances last night? Or is it just down to the back four? When does the midfield get questioned on their defensive qualities or are they just around to attack?

At the end of the day we all want the same thing so let’s not fall out over this

21 minutes ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

Disappointed with last night, but not disheartened. Before the game, Motherwell had scored 16 and conceded 0 in their last 5 at Fir Park, they’ve made it an absolute Fortress.

we might get away with the 4-4-2 in the championship, but definitely got found out last night. To be fair, if we hadn’t sat so deep for the first half they wouldn’t have got 2 goals. The 4-2-3-1 after the break looked far more solid, seems to waste Lyndon a bit out wide however (not that he did too much upfront either last night, but he’s a far bigger threat there). We’re at least £25’000 up, probably £35’000 (+ a potential big tie against a Celtic, Rangers, Hibs etc). A pleasing start to the season, and one the gives us a fantastic platform to build on in the league. 

ps. we need another striker asap 

dont see where people are getting the 4-4-2 formation from? it looked an obvious 4-2-3-1 in both halves the just switched players around the second half which suited us more

12 hours ago, loopyloo said:

Looked at the money for the Betfred Cup and was surprised:

5th      £17000

4th     £19000

3th    £21000

4 RunnersUp     £25000

2nd  Round Loosers     (after group stage)   £35000

QF Loosers win   £60000

SF Loosers win    £80000]

It would be nice for us to do well

I will likely be wrong with the prize money and SD will tell us however, this is big money for QOS and I hope they can make it further.

That's last year's prize money. They have yet to confirm what this year's prize money is though it will presumably be similar.