The Queen of the South thread

3 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

Having been at the game, I didn’t think we ‘sat off’ them particularly, at least not in the sense that it was a strategic approach. 

They just thoroughly outplayed us on the day, overrunning us in midfield. A number of key Queens players who have played well this season had off days. It happens. 

This. I didnt see any tactical decision to sit off anyone. A number of our players had their poorest games of the season and to be fair Thistle were much better and more adventurous last week (at least with the ball, they were poor at the back).

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

BBC article on Dobbie (Stephen Dobbie: Queen of the South striker is Europe's most prolific marksman) good interview with him too and chat from Rodgers & Naysmith.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45630356

Some player!

Great wee piece. Interesting that Dobbie says (not for the first time) "My last COUPLE of seasons...." !

This. I didnt see any tactical decision to sit off anyone. A number of our players had their poorest games of the season and to be fair Thistle were much better and more adventurous last week (at least with the ball, they were poor at the back).

Disagree.

If we press the ball higher up the pitch then Thistle back 4 would not stroll around effortlessly feeding easy balls into Bannigan etc
on an unchallenged basis. Dunfermline did the opposite to what we did- they got at Thistle high up pitch leaving Thistle to resort to aimless punts to a lone striker.

Of course players can have an off day but the principal reason that we continually keep defaulting into 6th or 7th place is because we don’t believe in ourselves nearly enough

We have the best player in this league by a country mile and a first 11 who are as good as any other but we keep falling into trap of leaving Dobbie isolated up top rather than doing everything possible in an attacking sense to make optimum use of his unique skills, not to mention the likes of Stirling and Harkins

Teams love it when we drop deep and don’t press the ball - Motherwell away, DU at home (first half)Thistle away and countless games last season and the one before. The fact that we scored two goals in first half at Firhill was a minor miracle on such meagre attacking rations.

5 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Disagree.

If we press the ball higher up the pitch then Thistle back 4 would not stroll around effortlessly feeding easy balls into Bannigan etc
on an unchallenged basis. Dunfermline did the opposite to what we did- they got at Thistle high up pitch leaving Thistle to resort to aimless punts to a lone striker.

Of course players can have an off day but the principal reason that we continually keep defaulting into 6th or 7th place is because we don’t believe in ourselves nearly enough

We have the best player in this league by a country mile and a first 11 who are as good as any other but we keep falling into trap of leaving Dobbie isolated up top rather than doing everything possible in an attacking sense to make optimum use of his unique skills, not to mention the likes of Stirling and Harkins

Teams love it when we drop deep and don’t press the ball - Motherwell away, DU at home (first half)Thistle away and countless games last season and the one before. The fact that we scored two goals in first half at Firhill was a minor miracle on such meagre attacking rations.

Spot on .

This will be a fine match and at our best we can get a result.  Sorry i won't get up to Inverness  but if we track back a bit more than I saw at Firhill we can do the business  I worked out that we could play in our 3rd kit.

8 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Disagree.

While the suggestion that we don’t believe in ourselves might have been a valid criticism of Queens teams in the past, I really don’t see any absence of self confidence in the Queens ranks this season. I’d say it was the opposite - the first XI seem more confident than I’ve seen them for a long time, almost to a fault at times. It’s obvious, even in the warm ups, that this is a group of players that believe in themselves,  with a good spirit evident amongst the squad. Despite a relative stinker last Saturday, I think we’ll do quite well this season.

Against Falkirk away, Ayr at home and the first half against Crusaders we were as free-flowing as I’ve seen us in many years. It’s possible  there might even have been a touch of complacency at Thistle.

With Harkins, Stirling, Dykes and Dobbie pretty much given free reign this term, we can look either brilliant or horribly exposed. It’s probably not a coincidence that we’ve had some horror show 45 minutes (first half at home to Dundee Utd, second half at home to Crusaders, first half at Thistle)  as well as periods where we’ve looked like world-beaters, as we’re employing a very open attacking style, with Todd (an attacking midfielder asked to play a more defensive role of late) trying to shore up the midfield with a sometimes beleaguered-looking Jacobs, in front of a utility player converted into a centre half (Doyle) and (at times) vulnerable looking full backs.

The first half against Thistle (we dominated the second half) isn’t the first time this season, and probably won’t be the last, that we’ve been overrun in midfield. I genuinely think the team went out expecting to win that game and were surprised by Thistle’s high tempo style and tigerish work rate. Complacency is more likely to have cost us than ‘under confidence’ I’d say.

Dobbie wasn’t up front on his own, but it didn’t help that Dykes (arguably last 20 minutes apart) had a complete stinker. Harkins, whose fancy flicks and tricks look great when we’re winning, but lack of pace and casual style looks like a liability when we’re not, was effectively a passenger for most of the game. Mercer was badly exposed in the first half too and Jacobs looked swamped. We’re playing a high risk style this season. Looks fantastic when it comes off, but we look vulnerable when it doesn’t. 

Edited by Frankie S

While the suggestion that we don’t believe in ourselves might have been a valid criticism of Queens teams in the past, I really don’t see any absence of self confidence in the Queens ranks this season. I’d say it was the opposite - the first XI seem more confident than I’ve seen them for a long time, almost to a fault at times. It’s obvious, even in the warm ups, that this is a group of players that believe in themselves,  with a good spirit evident amongst the squad. Despite a relative stinker last Saturday, I think we’ll do quite well this season.
Against Falkirk away, Ayr at home and the first half against Crusaders we were as free-flowing as I’ve seen us in many years. It’s possible  there might even have been a touch of complacency at Thistle.
With Harkins, Stirling, Dykes and Dobbie pretty much given free reign this term, we can look either brilliant or horribly exposed. It’s probably not a coincidence that we’ve had some horror show 45 minutes (first half at home to Dundee Utd, second half at home to Crusaders, first half at Thistle)  as well as periods where we’ve looked like world-beaters, as we’re employing a very open attacking style, with Todd (an attacking midfielder asked to play a more defensive role of late) trying to shore up the midfield with a sometimes beleaguered-looking Jacobs, in front of a utility player converted into a centre half (Doyle) and (at times) vulnerable looking full backs.
The first half against Thistle (we dominated the second half) isn’t the first time this season, and probably won’t be the last, that we’ve been overrun in midfield. I genuinely think the team went out expecting to win that game and were surprised by Thistle’s high tempo style and tigerish work rate. Complacency is more likely to have cost us than ‘under confidence’ I’d say.
Dobbie wasn’t up front on his own, but it didn’t help that Dykes (arguably last 20 minutes apart) had a complete stinker. Harkins, whose fancy flicks and tricks look great when we’re winning, but lack of pace and casual style looks like a liability when we’re not, was effectively a passenger for most of the game. Mercer was badly exposed in the first half too and Jacobs looked swamped. We’re playing a high risk style this season. Looks fantastic when it comes off, but we look vulnerable when it doesn’t. 
Spot on.

I agree with a lot that you say but despite a lot of positivity and some great play here we are again in danger of dropping a long way behind league leaders. I will be very interested to see how we set up today - i fully expect it to be a similar cautious set up (delighted to be proved wrong!).The problem as you rightly say is that we are packed with forward thinking creative players.........so why not just keep playing to our strengths and see what happens. That first half display last week wasn’t playing to strengths.

I still take some convincing that GN can break the glass ceiling - it has been a recurring theme since he arrived. Some good results but when we need big results to really make a statement we repeatedly come up short hence the reason we never seem to keep our heads much above 6/7th place for any length of time.

When you think that Dobbie is top scorer in Europe allegedly we are still only in 7th place and we should be doing better in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I agree with a lot that you say but despite a lot of positivity and some great play here we are again in danger of dropping a long way behind league leaders. I will be very interested to see how we set up today - i fully expect it to be a similar cautious set up (delighted to be proved wrong!).The problem as you rightly say is that we are packed with forward thinking creative players.........so why not just keep playing to our strengths and see what happens. That first half display last week wasn’t playing to strengths.

I still take some convincing that GN can break the glass ceiling - it has been a recurring theme since he arrived. Some good results but when we need big results to really make a statement we repeatedly come up short hence the reason we never seem to keep our heads much above 6/7th place for any length of time.

When you think that Dobbie is top scorer in Europe allegedly we are still only in 7th place and we should be doing better in my opinion.

5 0 against Ayr was a decent statement....

please look at our next 5 games. Every one is a game we should win whilst the 4 teams above us all play each other.

we are in perfect position to be comfortable in a play off spot and in a cup QF after these games.

52 minutes ago, SueSue said:

5 0 against Ayr was a decent statement....

please look at our next 5 games. Every one is a game we should win whilst the 4 teams above us all play each other.

we are in perfect position to be comfortable in a play off spot and in a cup QF after these games.

We "should" win at Dunfermline, yet drawing at home against Ross County was "excellent"?

Big differentials in there.

29 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

We "should" win at Dunfermline, yet drawing at home against Ross County was "excellent"?

Big differentials in there.

And the Ayr game was a statement which you missed.

IMO we are sitting behind the top 4 places with Alloa and Dunfermline to play to complete the first round of fixtures.

i fully expect this side to gain 6 points and be in a play off spot.

2 minutes ago, SueSue said:

And the Ayr game was a statement which you missed.

IMO we are sitting behind the top 4 places with Alloa and Dunfermline to play to complete the first round of fixtures.

i fully expect this side to gain 6 points and be in a play off spot.

Eh? What did I miss?

I too hope we win in Dunfermline.  Fully expecting it however, sounds like a dangerous game for any Queens fan.

22 hours ago, Trogdor said:

BBC article on Dobbie (Stephen Dobbie: Queen of the South striker is Europe's most prolific marksman) good interview with him too and chat from Rodgers & Naysmith.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45630356

Some player!

I thought it was a horrendously bad article from the BBC. It's a great achievement, but attempting to conflate it with players playing in Serie A and La Liga is desperately poor journalism. It would be a bad article if they had been talking about the Scottish Premiership, never mind the Scottish Championship. 

Don't get me wrong, Dobbie is some player at this level, but the BBC need better editors before posting thos sort of headlines.

7 minutes ago, Kennedys_Moustache said:

I thought it was a horrendously bad article from the BBC. It's a great achievement, but attempting to conflate it with players playing in Serie A and La Liga is desperately poor journalism. It would be a bad article if they had been talking about the Scottish Premiership, never mind the Scottish Championship. 

Don't get me wrong, Dobbie is some player at this level, but the BBC need better editors before posting thos sort of headlines.

I actually kind of agree.  The interviews carry some interest, but the article is a bit silly.  The truth is that the goals that have given him this huge early season tally haven't even come exclusively from the Championship.  A great many have come from cup ties against lower league or Irish sides.  

I still love Dobbie more than is appropriate.  The current comparison with world stars is however, somewhat daft.

I actually kind of agree.  The interviews carry some interest, but the article is a bit silly.  The truth is that the goals that have given him this huge early season tally haven't even come exclusively from the Championship.  A great many have come from cup ties against lower league or Irish sides.  
I still love Dobbie more than is appropriate.  The current comparison with world stars is however, somewhat daft.

FFS there’s always a small monitory who like to piss on your parade! Let’s just enjoy the moment without taking things seriously.
It’s a great time to be a Queens fan just now and all this positive publicity can do our beloved small club no harm at all........and by god do we need it after all the recent negative press that’s came out of Palmy over the last year or so.