The Queen of the South thread

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

Very good when he was firing. He could go missing sometimes but when he was playing well he was good to watch. Had no idea he had signed for yourselves until you posted. Disappointed he never came back here if Killie were willing to loan him out again.

Should be a superb signing at that level and the Sonhamers connection continues :)

I literally had no idea about his signing until about half four. Came up on the Killie Twitter and I thought it was a mistake, we've got plenty of attacking players (that we can't get firing) and virtually no defenders.

Good to hear that he should do a job in League One, though with Stevie's history of turning attacking players into mush I'm not hopeful.

He couldn't do a job at full-back, could he?

Championship sides cant sign anyone after August 31st. League 1 & 2 clubs had a second loan deadline up to this weekend.
I won't pretend I knew that. I wasn't really bemoaning we never attempted to get him at the same time as Dumbarton today, more that I'm disappointed Killie have loaned him out now as you have to imagine Naysmith would have been happy to have him at the start of the season (likely in place of Frizzell right enough). I assume Killie had plans for him and it hasn't worked so far. But it's come at a time where we're unable to get him.
I literally had no idea about his signing until about half four. Came up on the Killie Twitter and I thought it was a mistake, we've got plenty of attacking players (that we can't get firing) and virtually no defenders.
Good to hear that he should do a job in League One, though with Stevie's history of turning attacking players into mush I'm not hopeful.
He couldn't do a job at full-back, could he?
I doubt he could play there but you never know. For me his defending was his weakest asset. He will take a ping from anywhere and likes to run with the ball but I wouldn't be holding out that he'll tighten up your defence.

Surely Queens would have taken him back on loan if he was available before the end of August .

Think at the time Thomas was on the bench for Killie .Have not seen enough of Frizzell to say he is better or worse that Thomas but Frizzell will have to do a lot more to come close to Thomas .

Thomas will do very well at Dunbarton excellent player all left foot but would take him back at Queens in January if available 

On 30/09/2018 at 08:41, Rjc-1988 said:

I firmly believe that this league offers us the best chance that we are likely to get to win the Championship title. Do I think we are going to do it? Of course the odds are against it but to win things the one thing you need to do is have total self belief and confidence.Some of the comments on here talk up the opposition to a level that is simply not justified. Of course we must have a healthy respect for all opponents but this year’s line up is riddled with mediocrity:-

- who would have thought that a club like Falkirk could assemble such a lacklustre squad
- who would have thought that DUFC could continue to entrust a vital promotion campaign to Csaba
- Partick have a decent enough squad but morale and momentum seem to be going in wrong direction
- Dunfermline certainly not giving the impression that all is well but things can change
- Morton losing their manager to Falkirk in these circs beggars belief and yesterdays mauling will not help
- ICT are not exactly firing up their fans which suggests that they expect them to be play off contenders at best
- RC are justifiable favourites but by no stretch of the imagination are they a shoo in
- Despite the 5-0 Ayr are the club that impresses me most. They have built up real momentum and it seems to me that they have got that desire to really try and win games home and away.
- Alloa will scrap for every last point

That is not a list to be frightened of with the players that we have. Reading some of the recent comments I could have been fooled into thinking that we had just earned a 0-0 at the Nou Camp.

ICT should have been grateful to secure a point against us - like the much lauded RC - they created virtually nothing against us.

- Queen of the South are overly reliant on Dobbie for goals, likely to lose their best defender in January and have the smallest squad in the league

I cant imagine any other clubs are particularly "frightened" of us

- Queen of the South are overly reliant on Dobbie for goals, likely to lose their best defender in January and have the smallest squad in the league

Clubs under-estimating us is a huge plus in the same way that Livvy were viewed last year and probably this year by Premier clubs. I suspect after yesterday’s result that may have changed.

Having a small squad is a negative but if we stay clear of injuries it can be an advantage because continuity of selection breeds confidence and avoids manager’s rotating the squad simply to justify the extra options.

Dundee United under McLean won the league and used around 14/15 players.

Leicester kept the same basic team all season with a view changes.

Livvy had a small squad.

Some of you guys should try looking for positives rather than writing us off. This league is very winnable and Dobbie is a huge asset that others don’t have.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Surely we can keep Semple for the season  it will always again come down to money .

Wonder if we are paying all of Semple wage?.

Other players have to try and step up with some goals it is almost like we they get near the goals they just pass to Dobbie don't try to shoot themselves 

5 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Clubs under-estimating us is a huge plus in the same way that Livvy were viewed last year and probably this year by Premier clubs. I suspect after yesterday’s result that may have changed.

Having a small squad is a negative but if we stay clear of injuries it can be an advantage because continuity of selection breeds confidence and avoids manager’s rotating the squad simply to justify the extra options.

Dundee United under McLean won the league and used around 14/15 players.

Leicester kept the same basic team all season with a view changes.

Livvy had a small squad.

Some of you guys should try looking for positives rather than writing us off. This league is very winnable and Dobbie is a huge asset that others don’t have.

That wasnt really my point, and Im surprised Im having to explain this, but you listed reasons why we shouldnt be frightened of other teams and why that meant we had a great chance to win the league. My point was that every other club is probably thinking the same thing and looking at us thinking theres little to be frightened of.

This years league is going to be wide open but when you have clubs like County, ICT, Thistle and Utd with much stronger squads and far more resources to strengthen its hard to make a compelling case for why we should expect to be challenging for the league. 

4 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Surely we can keep Semple for the season  it will always again come down to money .

Wonder if we are paying all of Semple wage?.

Other players have to try and step up with some goals it is almost like we they get near the goals they just pass to Dobbie don't try to shoot themselves 

That wasnt really my point, and Im surprised Im having to explain this, but you listed reasons why we shouldnt be frightened of other teams and why that meant we had a great chance to win the league. My point was that every other club is probably thinking the same thing and looking at us thinking theres little to be frightened of.
This years league is going to be wide open but when you have clubs like County, ICT, Thistle and Utd with much stronger squads and far more resources to strengthen its hard to make a compelling case for why we should expect to be challenging for the league. 

Having witnessed the majority of the 50+ years out with the top division the biggest single challenge that the club has is to try and energise the true supporters and floaters to believe that we are actually on a journey this season that might just lead to promotion. Of course it is easy to make an overwhelming argument that says - it will never happen. This is the safe pragmatic option, it is the one that is much more likely to come up and if any challenge that we make falls flat it is easy to say “we had no chance anyway with our thin resources”.

I say it again we will probably never have a better chance but it would help enormously if the team could deliver a run of wins now that gets us into a really prominent position so that we can build momentum and get the fans to actually believe.

The only way this has any chance is if the Mgt and players believe and their positive energy percolates to the fans. Manager is scared to talk about title challenge because if it fails to materialise everybody will say he had unrealistic ambitions.

Personally, I would much rather have a manager who thinks big and is fiercely ambitious even if we come up short of the big prize. Managers who keep telling us that every away ground is a really hard place to go, we have a tiny budget, modest resources etc create a negative framework that is not conducive to winning titles.

Of course it is a long shot but promotion would totally transform our financial status and put us on a completely different trajectory to the one that we currently find ourselves on. The prize is huge and we might never a better chance.

11 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Having witnessed the majority of the 50+ years out with the top division the biggest single challenge that the club has is to try and energise the true supporters and floaters to believe that we are actually on a journey this season that might just lead to promotion. Of course it is easy to make an overwhelming argument that says - it will never happen. This is the safe pragmatic option, it is the one that is much more likely to come up and if any challenge that we make falls flat it is easy to say “we had no chance anyway with our thin resources”.

I say it again we will probably never have a better chance but it would help enormously if the team could deliver a run of wins now that gets us into a really prominent position so that we can build momentum and get the fans to actually believe.

The only way this has any chance is if the Mgt and players believe and their positive energy percolates to the fans. Manager is scared to talk about title challenge because if it fails to materialise everybody will say he had unrealistic ambitions.

Personally, I would much rather have a manager who thinks big and is fiercely ambitious even if we come up short of the big prize. Managers who keep telling us that every away ground is a really hard place to go, we have a tiny budget, modest resources etc create a negative framework that is not conducive to winning titles.

Of course it is a long shot but promotion would totally transform our financial status and put us on a completely different trajectory to the one that we currently find ourselves on. The prize is huge and we might never a better chance.

You think the manager talking about a title challenge when he cant name 7 subs and of the 6 he does barely have any first team experience is going to "energise" the supporters and make them believe? Seriously?

8 minutes ago, Mr X said:

You think the manager talking about a title challenge when he cant name 7 subs and of the 6 he does barely have any first team experience is going to "energise" the supporters and make them believe? Seriously?

Given what the manager has I think he is about right in how he handles the media. We have a stronger defence and we can score goals. Results attract support and so far we have a decent record. It's true we do not have a strong bench but that means the players are unchanged for each game, a big thing in my view. Injuries are the concern but until that happens lets enjoy the football on show.  A result on Saturday will be welcome.

What an absolute slaver RJC is.
Any need for that? I would rather a fan being positive and dreaming of the unlikely than read the same drivel week after week, from a select few fans that make me wonder why they even support the club. We have a tight squad yes, but no one is running away in the league just yet. I just see RJC getting hopeful that we could have a good season. Nothing wrong with that. I share that hope.

10 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:
2 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Any need for that? I would rather a fan being positive and dreaming of the unlikely than read the same drivel week after week, from a select few fans that make me wonder why they even support the club. We have a tight squad yes, but no one is running away in the league just yet. I just see RJC getting hopeful that we could have a good season. Nothing wrong with that. I share that hope.

There is nothing wrong with being hopeful.  But consistently making a completely baseless claim that "we will never have a better chance of winning this league" and then criticising anyone that doesn't share this view is the behaviour of a slaver.

15 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:
2 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Its not though. Its thinly veiled criticism, particularly of the manager.

Its not though. Its thinly veiled criticism, particularly of the manager.

Maybe i read it differently. I just thought palmly's comment was a little strong given the content.

I have re read it. I suppose it does come across negative to the manager.

I have faith that GN can

1) keep us safe from relegatation trouble with this squad

2) give us a realistic chance of at least fighting for the playoffs come end of season.

I know alot of people wont share the same view but there we are.

On 02/10/2018 at 10:41, palmy_cammy said:

There is nothing wrong with being hopeful.  But consistently making a completely baseless claim that "we will never have a better chance of winning this league" and then criticising anyone that doesn't share this view is the behaviour of a slaver.

Nah, he's making an interesting point.

I wouldn't say he's being particularly positive or negative.  There is some criticism of the manager in there, as well as a call for more self belief to surround the club.

I find myself agreeing with those citing the logic that wage bill usually dictates the degree of success that clubs achieve.  I also do agree though with the point that says this season presents an opportunity.  I don't think that the League is particularly strong.  That of course, is before we factor in Dobbie.  We've no right to have someone like that and it won't last forever.  

I reserve the right to be a pessimistic fatalist pain at all times.  I think the call for more upbeat noises from within the club itself however, is a reasonable one.

Edited by Monkey Tennis