The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Hannigan said:

We didn't dominate midfield yesterday, Stirling wasn't his usual effectve self and perhaps should  have been replaced earlier by Frizell. I thought Dobbs was a bit greedy at times and the high balls to Dykes became predictable. Queens could defnitely have won that game, but defensive lapses, like those for the first two Thistle goals, are always  going to be punished. Great travelling support !

Both defensive lapses were down to Sterling. You can’t let there full back run past you and not track back, so in effect a midfielder not doing his job has cost us.

That said. I think most would agree we are playing some good stuff this season, We still have 2 of the bottom 3 to play In the next few games which if we perform will put us in very good shape after the first quarter of the season.

I had Josh Todd as our man of the match. Only of our front five to get his foot on the ball, get it down and play anything like as well as he has been. 
I think the area letting us down most yesterday was midfield and more specifically central midfield. For that reason alone I can't believe a CM gets motm. He never did any of the defensive work in the first half and in the second half Jacobs got into better attacking positions that him so you have to wonder what he was really doing yesterday. I can only recall one run from him. Given how well he's played recently I don't think that was anywhere near the same standard.
You could go through the whole team individually yesterday and say they did good things in patches but no one actually stood out.  My personal choice was Doyle but it wasn't by much over a couple of others. 

I thought Doyle was comfortably our best player. Plenty of effort, was commanding as well as organising other players throughout the game. Also heard him dishing out plenty of praise. The guy is an absolute leader and has been our best player the last two games. I know some Morton fans have joked about Doyle being played at CB but I think he looks excellent in there. Semple was just behind him for me. With no support in front of them the CB's did very well keeping it so tight yesterday.
We didn't dominate midfield yesterday, Stirling wasn't his usual effectve self and perhaps should  have been replaced earlier by Frizell. I thought Dobbs was a bit greedy at times and the high balls to Dykes became predictable. Queens could defnitely have won that game, but defensive lapses, like those for the first two Thistle goals, are always  going to be punished. Great travelling support !
Sometimes I get frustrated with Dobbie due to his greediness but when you see other attacking players getting into to good shooting positions and failing to have a shot you can understand why he tries to strike it himself.

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think the area letting us down most yesterday was midfield and more specifically central midfield. For that reason alone I can't believe a CM gets motm. He never did any of the defensive work in the first half and in the second half Jacobs got into better attacking positions that him so you have to wonder what he was really doing yesterday. I can only recall one run from him. Given how well he's played recently I don't think that was anywhere near the same standard.

Shows how we all see it differently then. I thought all our problems were with the wide midfielders, not central. Surprised to see some, you included, picking out Jacobs as a problem too. I thought he did fine. Problems were wide where both Harkins and Stirling had poor games and offered no help to the full backs and did nothing going forward. 

I don't think any of the midfield covered themselves in glory yesterday. The CM allowed Thistle to pass the ball in the middle of the park for the majority of the first half. I find it baffling that despite this people give a CM motm especially when our CB's were very good. We all see it differently as you say.

There was gaps in the middle as Jacobs was set out to stay tight to Erksine and he kept getting pulled out of position by him. That's what I noticed anyway, Almost everyone had a poorer performance than what we've been used to seeing recently.Martin lasted more games than I thought before seeing him getting injured taking a goal kick.

6 hours ago, Hannigan said:

Very few goals if any have been conceded direct from the Doyle/Semple partnership.

We play an attacking system and it does mean at times full backs and midfielders can get drawn out of position....... I would rather watch this system than one that relies on a 1 0 win each week.

it is exciting to watch and a system that terrifies the opposition. 

Overall IMO we are playing some good stuff this season in a division widely accepted to be the most competitive for years.

2-0 Hamilton at half time. They had the better of the first half hour and deserved to be one up. Their 2nd came from a freekick just before HT & after Queens' best spell.

Hamilton much sharper and more confident on the ball, but also have more 1st team experience in their lineup. Goals from Mason Bloomfield and James Keatings. 

Finished 3-1 I see. James Keatings with another direct free kick made it 3-0 before Accies had two players sent off for straight red cards. We pulled a goal back with 12 mins to go on a rebound from a free kick (scorer TBC).

EDIT - Scorer was Connor Murray

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Aye. The freekick was a cracker from David Norman, hit the post. He's got some shot on him, leftie. He was also the one pulled down for the first red just as he was about to shoot...

However, he also gave away one if not both of the freekicks Hamilton scored from, as well as numerous other clumsy fouls. He's not afraid to use the body, but on today's evidence he needs to quicken and smarten up a bit before he gets in the first team. Nothing to suggest he should be ahead of Owen Bell.

Problems were wide where both Harkins and Stirling had poor games and offered no help to the full backs and did nothing going forward. 

I wouldn’t disagree with your overall conclusion but watching both 1st and 2nd goals back again, it’s Stirling that’s covering the left back position (not very well) and our left back Marshall is well out of position. For me Stirling and Todd were doing too much defending. Harkins just had a mare and should have been hooked.

Sometimes we moan when things aren't happening or very little appears to be going on behind the scenes. But I would like to praise the fact so much or so many news articles are being put up on the official site. The articles themselves may not interest everyone but its good to read them all the same. Despite the loss for the first and reserve team this week I think off the pitch things like the match updates and the news  article have been excellent. Good work well done to all involved. 

34 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Watching some of Pars v Thistle match - can anybody honestly explain why we sat off a Thistle team very low on confidence and basically paid them so much respect that we forgot to do what we were good at?

Having been at the game, I didn’t think we ‘sat off’ them particularly, at least not in the sense that it was a strategic approach. 

They just thoroughly outplayed us on the day, overrunning us in midfield. A number of key Queens players who have played well this season had off days. It happens.