The Queen of the South thread

What a horrible coincidence Brownlie is out injured the very first game after his pre contract is signed.
Don’t like these agreements as quite clearly the player will not want to get injured for his new employer and obvious Summer wage increase has the players head turned.

He played against Arbroath (and got MOTM) after signing his contract.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
22 minutes ago, SueSue said:
What a horrible coincidence Brownlie is out injured the very first game after his pre contract is signed.
Don’t like these agreements as quite clearly the player will not want to get injured for his new employer and obvious Summer wage increase has the players head turned.

He played against Arbroath (and got MOTM) after signing his contract.

Fair point pal.

None the less, it must have an effect once you know you are off.

God forbid he doesn’t score the goal to send Partick into the seaside league.

Far fetched but you get my point.

Didn’t do us any harm against Ayr with him missing from the team!

30 minutes ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

Didn’t do us any harm against Ayr with him missing from the team!

Well it did as his replacement could only play 60 odd minutes and we had then to play a left back at centre back and midfielder at LB. Great that Semple looked fitter and scored plus we won the game but it's a stretch to say Brownlie's absence didn't impact on the team

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

I'm not a huge fan of pre-contracts particularly when they are between teams from the same division.  They are hardly a new thing though, so both clubs and players should be more than familiar with dealing with them.

I would imagine the only time Brownlie would feel like he had a conflict of interest would be in the suggestion made above if there was a crunch game between the clubs come the end of the season.  Otherwise I would expect him to be completely professional and carry on as normal.  If you follow the logic that he would "down tools" to save himself for next season, then no loan signings would ever shake a leg for their loan clubs in case they end up injured for going back to their parent club.  Obvious exceptions aside, whilst modern players might not have the devotion of times gone by, I think we sometimes understate the "connection" players have to clubs at this level.  You couldn't say they are at Queens for the money!  There is also personal pride and professionalism at stake.

Brownlie trying to get his move to Thistle in January and not wait till end of season 
will the QoS board accept a minimal fee and let him leave now?

Not impressed if that is true - not long ago that he missed almost a full season with injury. Club stood by him and offered him fresh terms the season after when there must have been a risk that injury could re-occur. Other clubs not rushing to recruit him at that juncture.

I would be inclined to insist that he honours contract but if there is any thought that he may not be “fully on the QOS bus” then consignment to the stand is the only viable alternative. Out of principle I would not be inclined to let player and Partick dictate terms to unless, of course, they write a big fat cheque (which is extremely unlikely).

21 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Not impressed if that is true - not long ago that he missed almost a full season with injury. Club stood by him and offered him fresh terms the season after when there must have been a risk that injury could re-occur. Other clubs not rushing to recruit him at that juncture.

I would be inclined to insist that he honours contract but if there is any thought that he may not be “fully on the QOS bus” then consignment to the stand is the only viable alternative. Out of principle I would not be inclined to let player and Partick dictate terms to unless, of course, they write a big fat cheque (which is extremely unlikely).

Agree, but Kerr, Baird and Harkins all left before their contracts were up - in Baird’s case when it still had 18 months to run. Don’t recall any mention of big fat cheques at the time of their departures. Not saying Brownlie has the same mindset as those three, but I don’t think the club would keep somebody who really wanted to go. As you say, the club already paid his wages for nearly a season when he wasn’t playing, so I don’t think they would want, or could afford, to do it for another few months.

Well it did as his replacement could only play 60 odd minutes and we had then to play a left back at centre back and midfielder at LB. Great that Semple looked fitter and scored plus we won the game but it's a stretch to say Brownlie's absence didn't impact on the team
Diffence is a stright swap for Gourley would have once again avoided that nonsense

2 hours ago, gogs said:
5 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Diffence is a straight swap for Gourley would have once again avoided that nonsense

Aye a straight swap for a player who is (as yet)  nowhere near the level of Brownlie or Semple.  No criticism of Gourley but it remains the case that Brownlie's absence still had a negative impact on the team which is the point I was making.

7 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Brownlie was missed as he has had an excellent season. Fortunately his replacement had a decent game.

Also let’s not get hung up that a 6ft 1inch left back who has played hundreds of first team games ( Holt ) can’t cover 20 minutes as a left CB. To be fair if Osman had not got all handy in the box then the defence over the full 90 minutes had a good game without Brownlie.

That said, I would expect him to start if fit on Saturday.

6 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

I'm not a huge fan of pre-contracts particularly when they are between teams from the same division.  They are hardly a new thing though, so both clubs and players should be more than familiar with dealing with them.

I would imagine the only time Brownlie would feel like he had a conflict of interest would be in the suggestion made above if there was a crunch game between the clubs come the end of the season.  Otherwise I would expect him to be completely professional and carry on as normal.  If you follow the logic that he would "down tools" to save himself for next season, then no loan signings would ever shake a leg for their loan clubs in case they end up injured for going back to their parent club.  Obvious exceptions aside, whilst modern players might not have the devotion of times gone by, I think we sometimes understate the "connection" players have to clubs at this level.  You couldn't say they are at Queens for the money!  There is also personal pride and professionalism at stake.

there is a slight difference between a pre contract and loan players.

Pre Contract players have already signed their new deal. It is done. There is nothing to prove. They are waiting to move and know what is ahead of them.

Loan players are trying to prove to their parent club they are either good enough to play at a higher level or indeed get a new contract from their club. They are not sure what the future holds and are trying to shine.

Or they should be. 

Either way the Pre Contract deals leave players wide open for criticism if they have a bad game or are injured. ( he’s not bothered, he just doesn’t fancy the game today ) kind of thing.

Aye a straight swap for a player who is (as yet)  nowhere near the level of Brownlie or Semple.  No criticism of Gourley but it remains the case that Brownlie's absence still had a negative impact on the team which is the point I was making.
I never said he was at that level however if he's not good enough to replace a player in the same position in a situation like that he shouldnt be on the bench he's a young player who must be wondering what the point of him being there is all I'm saying is I'd rather a stright swap than moving players out of position.

23 minutes ago, gogs said:
8 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I never said he was at that level however if he's not good enough to replace a player in the same position in a situation like that he shouldnt be on the bench he's a young player who must be wondering what the point of him being there is all I'm saying is I'd rather a stright swap than moving players out of position.

Bang on Gogs .The reality is the boy is being used as a cheap bench filler .Annan would be a better option, if he is even  that level .

Brownlie will give 100 % as he always does till the end of the season as a Queens player .

If Thistle offer £10,000 right now then we should take it as we have a ready made replacement in Semple and we still have 2 loans to use but I just can't see Thistle paying a fee when he can go for nothing in the summer .

Fair enough.

21 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Fair enough.

There is also the thought that throwing a young lad in in that situation is too much.

if he came on and Ayr had pulled two goals back, then Goulays confidence would have been rock bottom and hard to get back.

i admit I don’t know how old he is but I am sure he has plenty of time on his side. From seeing him for the reserves he has a future at the club. 

Ideally, AJ can find someone of the level of Brownlie or Kilday then let him move on. Works for both the club and the player. The downside is we’d be strengthening one of our rivals, who will probably be at the right side of the table come May.

If Thistle had Brownlie and O’Ware as CB’s I’d fully expect them to be 4th

On 31/12/2019 at 12:31, Mr X said:

This. He could also play in either of the wide positions too.

Id also expect him to perform for us, and its probably moot now that Thistle are finding a bit of form, but if we were to end up battling them at the wrong end of the table Im not sure Id want to put the player in that position. 

If we could find a replacement, which is a big if, I wouldnt be pulling out any stops to keep him in January.

Just guessing but I wonder if we would also throw in mcginty as well as a fee for brownlie. 

On 31/12/2019 at 19:39, Rjc-1988 said:

I agree but keeping a player in the stand deprives the manager a wage that could be used on a replacement  Every pound counts where we are running on a budget