The Queen of the South thread

I am guessing that the training is far superior and high tempo under Clark/Johnston than Millen /McPherson.

Its on a different level .Sports scientist does the whole warm up and the players are weighed before EVERY training session.This is to monitor weght loss as apparently this effects concentration levels as fatigue kicks in .Most of the very early pre season training was done by a fitness expert and dietory requirements/eating routines etc were given out.

The players were also told that the halfway line was for going over (made that up ).

Night and Day was the comment I got..

The best run of form that I have seen . Better than the promotion sides of 85-6 and 01-02 but of course they produced the goods over a longer period . We have - as yet - not done this but time will tell. Further back , we went on a crazy run in 75-6 that involved a " back from the death " brilliant run to avoid a seemingly inevitable relegation and scalping Premier League St. Johnstone and Ayr United . I would have to consult the record books to find out exactly how many games won etc .

1985/86 saw Queens unbeaten in the league until mid November when they lost to Dunfermline the same day that Man utd lost the only other unbeaten record in Britain but they had lost in the cup 4-1 to Celtic

75/76 looks like 9 unbeaten in the league, 1 defeat in the last 11 league games. Add in the 3 in the Cup and it was 12 unbeaten in total. The turnaround in the league was notable because there were only 26 games that season. After 15 games (ie11 left) we had 6 points - 7 behind 3rd bottom and it was only 2 points for a win back then.

85/86 was 13 in a row unbeaten in the league. As mentioned, the only defeat prior to that Dunfermline one was 4-1 at home to Celtic in the League Cup.

Edit cos I forgot Ayr went to a replay.

Edited by Flash

My memories of the 85-6 season include that we had a real ropey end to a successful season . After Dunfermilne were comprehensively beaten in one of - if not - the best performance by a Qos side that I have seen, we suffered a few surprising defeats and finished second . The unbeaten league run at the start of this season also contained a few draws .----To be fair , we put a hell of a run together in the second part of 01-02 as we never really made our intentions clear to about December time . All in all though , with the fact we have beaten three teams from higher leagues , Rangers at Ibrox, are unbeaten , have only dropped two league points , are scoring a barrowload and have five clean sheets out of six league games , well , this is the most impressive in my lifetime . Am I going to wake up and find that this has been a cruel dream ?

1985/86 saw Queens unbeaten in the league until mid November when they lost to Dunfermline the same day that Man utd lost the only other unbeaten record in Britain

Yip, I remember Des Lynam saying "Queen of the South, the Man United of Scotland - heh heh, they'll love that up there" on the day both clubs suffered their first league defeats.

We got promoted that year, but it was ultimately disappointing that we didn't win the league. As noted by JR, we struggled a bit after clinching promotion - I particularly remember a home defeat to Stranraer - which enabled Dunfermline to overtake us.

That was the year that Man United started with about eight straight wins under Ron Atkinson. It seemed that their long wait for a league title might be ending, but they collapsed badly later on. It would be another seven years before they'd do it.

Queens' current run is tremendous, but I fear that a defeat might break the spell. Responding to that first defeat when it inevitably arrives will be the big test.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

In 85-86 on the day we won promotion we had 53 points from 35 games, an average of over 1.5 per game. We never won any of the last 4 games, losing 2 and drawing 2 an average of 0.5 points per game. We'd lost 5 games out of the first 35, then lost 2 of the last 4.

The unbeaten run had 8 wins and 5 draws.

We currently have 16 points from 6 games. Last season it took us 15 games to get 16 points - on 3 December. We still had 16 after 19 games. So, we have the same points now as we did going into the home game with County on 14 January.

We currently have 16 points from 6 games. Last season it took us 15 games to get 16 points - on 3 December. We still had 16 after 19 games. So, we have the same points now as we did going into the home game with County on 14 January.

Christ, at this rate we'll be safe from relegation soon - a Gus McPherson wet dream.

.----To be fair , we put a hell of a run together in the second part of 01-02 as we never really made our intentions clear to about December time.

Looking back at that season and it was Clydebank, Alloa and us for most of the season, with Clydebank leading the way for the vast majority of it. We overhauled them in March and they faded badly after that, leaving just Alloa and ourselves. I remember the game at the Recs, it must have been late March or early April. There was a fair travelling support went to that game and the atmosphere was cracking before and during the game. Sadly the game didn't go as planned and we were pumped 3-0. Still, that was to prove a blip as we managed to seal promotion a few weeks later.

I remember the game at the Recs, it must have been late March or early April. There was a fair travelling support went to that game and the atmosphere was cracking before and during the game. Sadly the game didn't go as planned and we were pumped 3-0. Still, that was to prove a blip as we managed to seal promotion a few weeks later.

Was it not 4-1? We could potentially have sealed promotion that day, but it just didn't happen as we turned in a really crappy performance - fortunately our last one of the season.

Was it not 4-1? We could potentially have sealed promotion that day, but it just didn't happen as we turned in a really crappy performance - fortunately our last one of the season.

It was 4-1.

I'd say the first half performance the following week v Accies was pretty crappy. Everything seemed to come right after Scott saved the penalty just before half-time.

Re the Alloa 4-1 game , I will tell you how daft I was a decade ago . I was in Saudi that week visiting my sister who was a nurse working out there . I decided on the Thursday that I couldn't miss seeing Queens get promoted so re-scheduled flight to get back early and took a hit on the pocket . From Edinburgh airport , I travelled into the city and got a bus to Stirlng . In Stirling , took a taxi to Alloa and arrived at the ground 25 mins into the game with us already behind . Laden with a suitcase and bags , I joined the glum looking masses on the terrace. Not good and not something I would attempt now

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Re the Alloa 4-1 game , I will tell you how daft I was a decade ago . I was in Saudi that week visiting my sister who was a nurse working out there . I decided on the Thursday that I couldn't miss seeing Queens get promoted so re-scheduled flight to get back early and took a hit on the pocket . From Edinburgh airport , I travelled into the city and got a bus to Stirlng . In Stirling , took a taxi to Alloa and arrived at the ground 25 mins into the game with us already behind . Laden with a suitcase and bags , I joined the glum looking masses on the terrace. Not good and not something I would attempt now

Great post. :lol:

That was such a disappointing day so I just assumed we had found another way to balls things up. Worked out fine in the end though. Promotion clinched at home to Accies, title clinched on a great day at Forfar then cuffing Morton at home in front of a huge crowd on the day we got the trophy. Great memories

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Great post. :lol:

That was such a disappointing day so I just assumed we had found another way to balls things up. Worked out fine in the end though. Promotion clinched at home to Accies, title clinched on a great day at Forfar then cuffing Morton at home in front of a huge crowd on the day we got the trophy. Great memories

The pumping of Morton was my first game, deep down I'm just a gloryhunter at heart, ph34r.gif