The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Don't know what to think about these loan deals.  When you unearth a gem its certainly great for the player getting good experience, its great for his parent club getting him first team game time where he can make his mistakes without causing problems for the parent club and for a while its great for the wee club getting a bit of rare quality into the side for a spell.  The problem for us recently has been we find a gem, have a good first half of the season, the gem gets withdrawn by the parent in January and then our season goes down the pan in the second half of the season.  Maybe loans should be for at least a full season?

Pretty sure its not possible to have a loan that guarantees the player cant be recalled in January

1 hour ago, G51 said:

Maxwell won’t be getting recalled to Rangers, can almost guarantee that. We have two left backs already. Having said that, does he have a season long loan? May only be a loan until January, but if QOTS want to keep him I’d say you’ll be able to.

Being recalled to play in the Rangers first team isnt really the biggest issue, as we saw with McCrorie last season

Don't know what to think about these loan deals.  When you unearth a gem its certainly great for the player getting good experience, its great for his parent club getting him first team game time where he can make his mistakes without causing problems for the parent club and for a while its great for the wee club getting a bit of rare quality into the side for a spell.  The problem for us recently has been we find a gem, have a good first half of the season, the gem gets withdrawn by the parent in January and then our season goes down the pan in the second half of the season.  Maybe loans should be for at least a full season?

The only one who got withdrawn as such was McCrorie. Kerr and Kane we tried to keep but we knew when they came on loan that it was only to January. That's slightly different. St Johnstone only sent them out with a view to getting then regular games ahead of bringing them into their own contention in January. That was always the plan though we did try hard to keep both.

1 hour ago, G51 said:

Maxwell won’t be getting recalled to Rangers, can almost guarantee that. We have two left backs already. Having said that, does he have a season long loan? May only be a loan until January, but if QOTS want to keep him I’d say you’ll be able to.

It's a season long loan but so was McCrorie last year and he left because he got the opportunity to play at a higher level that wasn't Rangers. That could conceivably happen with Maxwell too though it's less likely.

Thanks for your clarifications Mr X and SD, I know you are both much closer to the detail here.

Yup, my language was a bit loose when I said being recalled to the parent club - I was really thinking of all options including the case last season with McCrorie being moved to Livi to gain higher league experience.

I guess its just a frustration (shared by others - I don't know) of mine.  Its bad enough having to re-build the majority of a squad at the start of the season, but when you start the season knowing that you have no control over the loan signings being moved out in the January window its a real scunner.  I suppose it is the very nature of these loan deals that the parent gets to call the player back part way through if they want - but just maybe it would be fairer to all parties if a season loan was just that - a season loan.  Then the manager could make season long plans with confidence and the fans could have faith in the team on the park for that season at least.  Its been a real bummer watching each of the last two seasons falling apart in January.

Thanks for your clarifications Mr X and SD, I know you are both much closer to the detail here.

Yup, my language was a bit loose when I said being recalled to the parent club - I was really thinking of all options including the case last season with McCrorie being moved to Livi to gain higher league experience.

I guess its just a frustration (shared by others - I don't know) of mine.  Its bad enough having to re-build the majority of a squad at the start of the season, but when you start the season knowing that you have no control over the loan signings being moved out in the January window its a real scunner.  I suppose it is the very nature of these loan deals that the parent gets to call the player back part way through if they want - but just maybe it would be fairer to all parties if a season loan was just that - a season loan.  Then the manager could make season long plans with confidence and the fans could have faith in the team on the park for that season at least.  Its been a real bummer watching each of the last two seasons falling apart in January.

The 2019 fall apart didn't have anything to do with losing loan players though.

Well, it might be argued that replacing Semple with Maguire weakened us but that was Naysmith's choice, it wasn't one that was forced on us.

2 hours ago, Flash said:

Can’t really complain or do much about loan players leaving in January when players who were under contract have also left then. 

Yep, there's that too ....... just bumpin' my gums in frustration I guess! 😏

On 30/10/2020 at 11:55, football maniac said:

Id like to see either Callum Semple or Liam Fontaine come in for cb. We are badly short in that area.

Liam Fontaine has just signed for Dundee..

Would have been a excellent signing for us but probable out of our budget .

Joe McKee was best player on park today, Gibson probably just behind. Pybus put a massive shift though was absolutely everywhere and
Pybus is the definition of flatter to deceive for me. He was everywhere today as you say but I never clocked him doing anything useful, he never made many tackles and only made a couple of forward passes, Ayo saved his bacon in the second half when he completely fluffed a clearance as well. Running around looking busy doesn't cut it for me. I'd much rather have a lazy fecker who at least plays a few dangerous passes during a game.

It doesn't matter today anyway as we've got a vital 3 points. We'll be bossed in the middle of the park more often than not this season though unfortunately.

Choo choo
All aboard the Pybus hype train!

Pybus is the definition of flatter to deceive for me. He was everywhere today as you say but I never clocked him doing anything useful, he never made many tackles and only made a couple of forward passes, Ayo saved his bacon in the second half when he completely fluffed a clearance as well. Running around looking busy doesn't cut it for me. I'd much rather have a lazy fecker who at least plays a few dangerous passes during a game.

It doesn't matter today anyway as we've got a vital 3 points. We'll be bossed in the middle of the park more often than not this season though unfortunately.

5196.jpeg

Hmmm I thought Pybus was pretty effective breaking up play, had some good bits of play. Did his usual fluffing though as you say got away with one.

Can’t agree with that today. He was played higher up the park and pressed absolutely everything. No coincidence it led to a number of Alloa mistakes that we probably should have capitalised more on.

He isn’t great on the ball, but he was a huge contributor to us dominating the game today. McKee can play the less fecker role, but I think it’s important having somebody like Pybus in the middle of the park. The game against Raith showed what you miss with Pybus.

It’s maybe because Alloa weren’t great but I thought we did really well today. Even when we sat back a bit, we still looked more likely to score. Thought Maxwell had another really good game. Both centre halfs did well also to be fair to them - cracking header from Buchanan for the goal.

Guest TOPFITTER

Sorry I’m not party to the Prybus love-in, everyone worked hard that should be a given!!! Queens are improving, work rate, shape, tracking back and even in attack, however when push comes to shove to move up the table dig, desire and deftness of mind will be needed in the middle, oh for a Stegs or McFarlane, Dig wae a wee bit of deft 👍😁