The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Agree with this. Don’t want to take anything away from the young guys but we shouldn't be having to search for a reason for a change in attitude of some of the others. That level of fight should be a given.

Absolutely, and if that was the reason then it probably is a one time only motivator and we’ll be back to square one in the next game.

No matter what circumstance it took for our players to churn out a performance like that, at least we now know they are capable of reaching such heights. Now the key is fnding the consistency of keeping up that level. The big question is what we do with the goalkeeping situation on saturday presuming Leighfield and Ferguson will both be out. Id get in an emergency loan but play Cowie. If Cowie has a bad game the pressure is off Johnston to some degree because of his age but if he brings in another and we ship in goals again then suddenly people are questioning his judgement.

Honestly the relief after last nights win is unreal. 1. Because of the week we’ve had 2. To get more than one league win in the year 3. I just didn’t see us beating anyone other than alloa/Arbroath.

By Christ the boys worked hard for it, could’ve been more comfy. For the keeper to change minutes before kick off and players keep the head etc was absolutely outstanding. I thought the young boy handled everything that came his way, although I thought raith would test him more. The defence, protected him very well the two centre halfs probably having there best games for QoS even when raith had went 3 uptops, stood strong which was very surprising. Big ayo showing what he can do. I thought Joe Mckee was excellent in the midfield, Pybus mccabe put in a massive shift but lack quality in possession. Still don’t think Fitzpatrick brings enough but an assist and he did take pressure of a couple of times, east put in a good shift in an unfamiliar position. Shields needs to start uptops for me, he tormented them whole time he was on, got a bit of everything and i think we see the best of it with him through the middle. Been our best player this season for me.

I just hope this is the building blocks, no another false dawn that papered over the cracks like Alloa game.

C
Agree with much of this. Fitzpatrick has been a big disappointment. I know it's hard to judge players when everyone has been grim but still.

Onwards and upwards, hopefully, though.

14 minutes ago, football maniac said:

No matter what circumstance it took for our players to churn out a performance like that, at least we now know they are capable of reaching such heights. Now the key is fnding the consistency of keeping up that level. The big question is what we do with the goalkeeping situation on saturday presuming Leighfield and Ferguson will both be out. Id get in an emergency loan but play Cowie. If Cowie has a bad game the pressure is off Johnston to some degree because of his age but if he brings in another and we ship in goals again then suddenly people are questioning his judgement.

Wait. Are you saying we should sign an experienced keeper on an emergency loan but Johnston should then play the young lad in order to take pressure off himself? Or that the outfield players will only put in a shift if they are trying to protect Cowie, so he has to play? Perhaps I’ve misunderstood but either of these approaches would show either Johnston or the players in a pretty poor light.. 

Regarding the young keeper,  I think it could be a case of Johnston saying win the ball further up the park,  keep it away from our defensive third of the park and try and keep possession, that way we'll keep as much pressure off the keeper as possible. 

It strikes me that this would be a good approach regardless of who's in goals. 

39 minutes ago, Flash said:

Wait. Are you saying we should sign an experienced keeper on an emergency loan but Johnston should then play the young lad in order to take pressure off himself? Or that the outfield players will only put in a shift if they are trying to protect Cowie, so he has to play? Perhaps I’ve misunderstood but either of these approaches would show either Johnston or the players in a pretty poor light.. 

We will need to if both the other keepers are out. We need a backup keeper on the bench either way if Leighfield/Ferguson are still out. I just hope its not at the expense of Cowie. He couldn't have done more and to drop someone after a clean sheet would open Johnston up to criticism should dropping him go wrong. 

10 minutes ago, football maniac said:

We will need to if both the other keepers are out. We need a backup keeper on the bench either way if Leighfield/Ferguson are still out. I just hope its not at the expense of Cowie. He couldn't have done more and to drop someone after a clean sheet would open Johnston up to criticism should dropping him go wrong. 

I don’t think anybody would criticise Johnston for bringing a more experienced keeper straight in to the team. It isn’t a case of dropping Cowie. He is extremely young for a keeper and didn’t expect to be playing. If he played and we got gubbed, it would be no different from most weeks but it might affect his confidence. He needs to be protected from that and brought along gradually. If we sign an experienced keeper and he makes an arse of it, that doesn’t make the decision wrong.  Having Cowie on the bench would be absolutely no reflection of his performance last night. 

Raith TV certainly showing up QOSTV by having a highlight package up on youtube within hours. Still waiting for highlights from Queens at home to Partick (13thOctober), Arbroath away (7th November), Hearts away (12th December) and Dundee at home (26th December) Or do we only get a highlight package if we win? (eg Alloa at Palmerston on 21st November).

5 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Raith TV certainly showing up QOSTV by having a highlight package up on youtube within hours. Still waiting for highlights from Queens at home to Partick (13thOctober), Arbroath away (7th November), Hearts away (12th December) and Dundee at home (26th December) Or do we only get a highlight package if we win? (eg Alloa at Palmerston on 21st November).

Smash Bill Murray GIF by Groundhog Day

Guest 4RedCards
4 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Why not offer to help out? Sure Queens would be delighted to give you any training required. Our volunteer who also works full time and sometimes films and goes to matches after night shifts would be so relieved!!!

52 minutes ago, JessieField said:

Why would we provide a highlights package for away games? Have the home teams in said games not done that? 

There's a lot about our club to grumble at just now. QoS TV is quite possibly the only thing that isn't worth complaining about tbh.

22 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Absolutely, and if that was the reason then it probably is a one time only motivator and we’ll be back to square one in the next game

This is my worry get Ferguson or Leighfield back in then we go back to poor defending with no young keeper to protect .

Johnston interview is a bit of a worry we are not suddenly a decent team after one great result he seems to think so.

Would much rather he said we still need to make at least 3 new signing we are still short of defenders and weak in centre midfield .

This is my worry get Ferguson or Leighfield back in then we go back to poor defending with no young keeper to protect .
Johnston interview is a bit of a worry we are not suddenly a decent team after one great result he seems to think so.
Would much rather he said we still need to make at least 3 new signing we are still short of defenders and weak in centre midfield .

I think he’ll know he needs players, Johnston has said it enough but he can’t come out and criticise a team that’s went out worked their socks off and got a win. Confidence is fragile and he’s trying to build it.

Deary me ol boy

21 hours ago, Flash said:

I don’t think anybody would criticise Johnston for bringing a more experienced keeper straight in to the team. It isn’t a case of dropping Cowie. He is extremely young for a keeper and didn’t expect to be playing. If he played and we got gubbed, it would be no different from most weeks but it might affect his confidence. He needs to be protected from that and brought along gradually. If we sign an experienced keeper and he makes an arse of it, that doesn’t make the decision wrong.  Having Cowie on the bench would be absolutely no reflection of his performance last night. 

Id prefer to play Cowie. Too often managers look to "protect" players because of their age. If hes good enough he should play now. If he gets dropped to the bench or out the squad he might keep this position as the easy option. It is so difficult for a keeper to breakthrough that my opinion is holding him back wont do him any good.  Donnaruma was playing at his age and Hearts were forced to blood there kids in many years ago but through that and various disappointments quite a few of them forged decent careers.