The Queen of the South thread

Just seen a rumor on the Ayr forum saying we're interested in Michael Moffat.

No idea if true or not.

No thanks. He's 27 and hardly setting the heather alight at Ayr. I'd also be very surprised if we sign anyone in this window, unless we lose someone first (although maybe he will replace Hopkirk?).

Higgins always gave 110% at Dunfermline, was usually a tremendously reliable cover apart from one game against Morton, he was playing with Keddie thoughdry.gif I'd imagine he'd stroll through the second division.

Tade is probably somewhere in his back pocket, still.

He has been a strong leader for us on the pitch and a consistent performer. He has formed a reliable partnership with Durnan, a young centre back with loads of ability who i am sure has benefited from playing alongside an experienced Higgins.

There is also a large measure of trust built up between these two and Lee Robinson who has also been outstanding, Robinson is a large part of the reason why we have only conceded 10 goals in the league.

Edited by MacWatt

Just added to QosTV...

1j38w.jpg

...highlights of our September visit to Brechin ph34r.gif

This is the first of the 7 missing games which will be completed over the next couple of weeks. The other six are:

Dundee Utd (25 Sep)

Alloa (29 Sep)

Stranraer (6 Oct)

Arbroath (14 Oct, Ramsdens Cup)

East Fife (28 Oct)

Edinburgh City (3 Nov, Scottish Cup)

Boxing day fixture, ah great, the first of our 4 games in ten days. This is where it will test the size and strength of squads as they have a number of games in quick succession. Four good performances and results over the festive season will really set us up to put this league to bed. It's now a two horse race and Alloa have a couple of tricky games coming up.

Let's start with a good performance today watched by a healthy vocal crowd with three points for us at the end.

Mon the South :)

Don't think even the most optimistic of Queens fans would have predicted maximum points, 17 goals for and 4 against, from these tricky festive fixtures.

Plus, we have extended our lead over Alloa at the top to 14 points. Great times to be a Queens fan :-)

What are the club records for most goals in a season (individual and total)? Anyone know?

I see the correct answer has now been posted on the mad site .

The most goals scored in a season is 99 during 1931/32 - 38 games

Just added to QosTV...

1j38w.jpg

...highlights of our September visit to Brechin ph34r.gif

This is the first of the 7 missing games which will be completed over the next couple of weeks. The other six are:

Dundee Utd (25 Sep)

Alloa (29 Sep)

Stranraer (6 Oct)

Arbroath (14 Oct, Ramsdens Cup)

East Fife (28 Oct)

Edinburgh City (3 Nov, Scottish Cup)

Good to hear that all the missing games will be going onto the Queens Official Website.

I can only compare to 01/02 . I would say that we are more flexible and stronger as a squad than that team. Being full time gives us an advantage over teams and defensively and in midfield we are better IMO. Wetherson, Lyle and O'Connor are different players to Clark, (Older) Lyle and Reilly so it's hard to compare the two front lines. Obviously goals make a difference but I'm sure the second division was the same mix of washed up players, never weres and young talents.

I can only compare to 01/02 . I would say that we are more flexible and stronger as a squad than that team. Being full time gives us an advantage over teams and defensively and in midfield we are better IMO. Wetherson, Lyle and O'Connor are different players to Clark, (Older) Lyle and Reilly so it's hard to compare the two front lines. Obviously goals make a difference but I'm sure the second division was the same mix of washed up players, never weres and young talents.

Neither Lyle nor O'Connor were even here at this stage in the season in 01/02.

Derek Lyle was signed on 13th February and Sean O'Connor wasn't signed until 15th March. Although both had a major hand in pushing us over the line, neither actually played all that many games that season.

In the early part of the season Weatherson tended to be partnered by Craig Feroz or John O'Neill pushed further forward. George O'Boyle was signed in January too.

Derek Lyle was a very useful player brought in by Connolly in 01-02. Who would ever have thought that eleven years later, he is back making a good contribution in another promotion challenging season.

A fair chance he's about to become the first Queens player to have two championship medals with the club. He did get one in 2002 and of course our only other championship was in 1951.

There would be a handful of players involved in both the 1981 and 1986 promotions including your idol Mr Robertson, but they didn't get medals as they were runners up.

A fair chance he's about to become the first Queens player to have two championship medals with the club. He did get one in 2002 and of course our only other championship was in 1951.

There would be a handful of players involved in both the 1981 and 1986 promotions including your idol Mr Robertson, but they didn't get medals as they were runners up.

And of course Del Lyle scored the decisive second goal in the Challenge Cup Final of 2002.

I have seen three Qos promotions in 80-1, 85-6 and 01-2 . Some cracking players in those teams but none were as free scoring as the present ones. Either this team is better than those mentioned or the opposition has weakened . Views ?

I didn't see the 80/81 season. This team is considerably better than either of the other two in my opinion. Although as already pointed out this one certainly has the advantage of full time status and the club having a much more "big club" mentality than it had at the start of the century when thoughts of winning the second division were relatively far fetched rather than expected.

The 01/02 team were only sitting in about 4th or so at this stage of the season I think. It came with a late run based at least partly on being able to bring in people like O'Boyle, Lyle, Bowey, McAlpine and O'Connor for the run in. It was never as dominant though it certainly had some fine players involved. The current squad should never really have gotten itself into this division in the first place. We underperformed horribly last season, kept the best parts of that squad, and then improved it again with signings such as Mitchell, Durnan, Young, Lyle, Gibson and Burns.

I didn't see the 80/81 season. This team is considerably better than either of the other two in my opinion. Although as already pointed out this one certainly has the advantage of full time status and the club having a much more "big club" mentality than it had at the start of the century when thoughts of winning the second division were relatively far fetched rather than expected.

The 01/02 team were only sitting in about 4th or so at this stage of the season I think. It came with a late run based at least partly on being able to bring in people like O'Boyle, Lyle, Bowey, McAlpine and O'Connor for the run in. It was never as dominant though it certainly had some fine players involved. The current squad should never really have gotten itself into this division in the first place. We underperformed horribly last season, kept the best parts of that squad, and then improved it again with signings such as Mitchell, Durnan, Young, Lyle, Gibson and Burns.

It required an instant change in mindset from a losing mentality from last year to expecting to win every game, some teams can't handle that but the experience brought in with Young and Lyle, helped turn things around. I can only really remember the late on run in. Queens had a really awful season the year before they won the league in 02 IIRC.