The Queen of the South thread

Two years before was the really abject one, where Hamilton players saved us by going on strike.

Yep 99-00 under Rowe and Eadie.

Connolly did ok in turning things around in 00-01. We didn't really threaten promotion much and faded away to 6th in the end but it wasn't awful and as late as March a good run could still have gotten us promotion.

01-02 was better obviously but as I said before, although we did top the table for a while early on, we were only about 4th at the turn of the year and it was really only form from February onwards that ran us into the title. We won 11 and drew 1 of our last 14 games.

The 80-81 promotion was a bit of a fluke. We were 8th in early December after losing 5-1 at home to Montrose. The big difference was made after Allan Ball came back from injury in the next game away to Forfar. Although we still conceded 3, we won and then went on a decent run. Promotion was still in doubt until the last day, when we needed to beat Albion Rovers and hope Cowdenbeath lost at home to Queen' Park, who were already champions. This seemed so unlikely that only about 1,500 showed up for our game. It did work out, but the following season we kind of wished it hadn't as we were out of our depth and went straight back down.

The 80-81 promotion was a bit of a fluke. We were 8th in early December after losing 5-1 at home to Montrose. The big difference was made after Allan Ball came back from injury in the next game away to Forfar. Although we still conceded 3, we won and then went on a decent run. Promotion was still in doubt until the last day, when we needed to beat Albion Rovers and hope Cowdenbeath lost at home to Queen' Park, who were already champions. This seemed so unlikely that only about 1,500 showed up for our game. It did work out, but the following season we kind of wished it hadn't as we were out of our depth and went straight back down.

Yep, that`s pretty much how I remember it. We had some decent players including the excellent Jimmy Robertson and a young Rowan Alexander. The side put in some excellent performances late in the season including winning 5-1 away to Alloa who were also near the top but also served up some dross especially earlier in the season. Queens Park were the best side in the division by a distance with the rest much of a muchness from memory. Still remember invading the pitch at full time in the Rovers game when the result at Cowdenbeath went our way :D

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Yep, that`s pretty much how I remember it. We had some decent players including the excellent Jimmy Robertson and a young Rowan Alexander. The side put in some excellent performances late in the season including winning 5-1 away to Alloa who were also near the top but also served up some dross especially earlier in the season. Queens Park were the best side in the division by a distance with the rest much of a muchness from memory. Still remember invading the pitch at full time in the Rovers game when the result at Cowdenbeath went our way :D

remember it well, Jimmy Robertson scoreing the 3rd from about 25/30 yards top corner good times.

I wasn't at that final game, but remember celebrating news of it as it came through. I went to a few games that season - did we play Cowdenbeath midweek late on? - but I never really became a regular until the following season when I was in P7. Given how that season went, I'm surprised I stuck at it.

Yeah, we drew 2-2 with Cowdenbeath midweek late in the season. I think Alexander scored with an overhead kick in that one.

Also remember going to Arbroath for the second last game of the season, when we thought we'd blown it after a 1-1 draw. I think that was the one when Dick Malone fired a penalty over the roof late on.

As posted earlier I remembered Queens Park as being easily the best team in the league. They only finished 4 points ahead of us so clearly not the case. Only 10 points between the top 8 albeit only 2 points for a win in those days.

Wiki Link

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

I remember being on the pitch some time after the the end of the last game and a couple of folk were playing head, cross and volley in the goals of the Terregles Street end with a ball made entirely of brown parcel tape. Strange what you remember.

I remember being on the pitch some time after the the end of the last game and a couple of folk were playing head, cross and volley in the goals of the Terregles Street end with a ball made entirely of brown parcel tape. Strange what you remember.

Stranger still is where they would've got that much brown parcel tape ...

I remember 1980/81 very well....it was the 1st season that I started regularly watching Queens culminating in that dramatic last game of the season. I can vividly remember the 1,500 fans invading the pitch at the end of that last match and congregating at the tunnel facing the stand whilst chanting "One Willie Harkness..etc etc". Soon after the players came into the stand where they were warmly congratulated by excited fans. I recall Jimmy Robertson standing on my usual seat while saluting the fans.....as an excitable 10 year old I absolutely thought I was in dreamland! I also remember Alan Ball hugging my brother in celebration and even asking how his new Fiat Strada was going!!

Conversely, 1981/82 was a disaster of a season what with Jimmy Roberton in contract dispute with QOS and who didn't play for us until October. Mind you I'm not sure that would have made a big difference. Do you remember Harry Hood being appointed manager at the start of 1982 only for him to resign several weeks later?!

And finally that 1981/82 QOS strip......who was the shirt sponsor? Barollon or Legoland??

1980s nostalgia - you can't beat it!

Edited by Dickie Davies

I was only young (11) but think the departure of Harry Hood was linked to the Jimmy Robertson dispute.I remember sitting in the main stand 81-82 and watching us get stuffed 5-1 against Hearts. The crowd at the last game of 80-81 was 1600 odd and thats without checking

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

I was only young (11) but think the departure of Harry Hood was linked to the Jimmy Robertson dispute.I remember sitting in the main stand 81-82 and watching us get stuffed 5-1 against Hearts. The crowd at the last game of 80-81 was 1600 odd and thats without checking

It was. Harkness took Robertson's side and isisted he should play while Hood wanted to leave him out - I think it was over whether Robertson was fit enough or something. So Hood resigned on a point of principle.

Robertson's every touch was booed in the first game he subsequently played - against Queen's Park at home.

Queens Park were a standout team in the 80-1 season. Other memories include Queens manager George Herd walking out halfway through the season and the directors picking the team for the rest of it, of course leading us to promotion.Maybe this was the reason that Willie always thought he knew better than whoever was ever in the Palmerston hot seat. My boyhood hero JR was voted second division player of the year and was an outstanding talent.ps Herd was travelling a long way to come to Dumfries ( North East ?) and was ' travel sick '. This was the main reason he left

And finally that 1981/82 QOS strip......who was the shirt sponsor? Barollon or Legoland??

1980s nostalgia - you can't beat it!

As far as I remember we had the old umbro kit with the double diamonds all they way down the sleeves when we won promotion in 81. These didn't have a sponsor, the kits with the Barrallan were the season after. I'm not sure who the kit manufacturer were, I think it was a bobby washable make but we were playing in them in the under 18's some six years later.

Edited by qos_75

As far as I remember we had the old umbro kit with the double diamonds all they way down the sleeves when we won promotion in 81. These didn't have a sponsor, the kits with the Barrallan were the season after.

In fairness, that's exactly what Dickie says. He's talking about the 81/82 kits.